Subject: Visiting Medical Electives (Internships)
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18316      Publish Date : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 Visit : 32582 

Non-Degree Programs | Visiting Medical Electives (Internships) 

SUMS Visiting Medical Elective 

Medical Elective Programs

SUMS MEdical elective

 

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS)
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18627/About-SUMS>  is pleased to offer
a multitude of medical elective programs to students from across the
world. SUMS Medical Electives represent a unique opportunity for
medical students, allowing them to experience healthcare in a setting
unfamiliar to that in which they are accustomed to studying, and also
provides the opportunity for medical students to develop their skills
by observing and participating in a healthcare delivery system overseas.

Shiraz <http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18301/Discovering-Shiraz>  is a
vibrant and stimulating city to study and live in. We welcome elective
medical students from overseas universities. To take part in the
Elective program you must be a medical student. We don't accept doctors
who have already been graduated; they would rather apply for graduate
programs such as Specialty, Subspecialty, or Fellowship. This is a
great opportunity to come and learn alongside shiraz medical students
and enjoy the academic and social opportunities that SUMS offer.

The Medical Elective Program is organized by the Vice Chancellery for
Global Strategies and International Affairs (GSIA) at SUMS and
placements are available in our teaching Hospitals such as Nemazee,
Shahid Faghihi or Shahid Chamran Hospitals, in which we ensure that
students acquire the essential knowledge, clinical skills and attitudes
to become and remain competent and caring doctors. The table below
supplies some significant information on SUMS Medical Elective Programs:

Item	 Description	 
Application Fee	 None	 
Tuition Fee	 500.00 USD Per Four Weeks	 
Program Duration	 4 To 16 Weeks	 
Application Period	 All Year Round*	 
Medium of Instruction	 English / Persian	 
Admission Notification	 Candidates will be notified of the results via
email.	 
Accommodation Fee	 200.00 USD per Month**	 
Health Insurance 	 75.00 USD Per Month	 

*SUMS Call for application to Medical elective programs is open all
year round. However, candidates are encouraged to apply at least 6 to 8
months prior to the commencement of the program in order to avoid late
visa issues.

**Please note that SUMS might supply medical elective candidates with
furnished dormitory provided that vacancies are available at SUMS
residence halls. Visiting students will be offered accommodation after
they have paid the determined fee. 

Why choose to do your Medical Elective abroad?

Undertaking a Medical Elective abroad will expose you to techniques and
illnesses that are rarely seen in your home country. Your medical
elective can be one of the most rewarding parts of your undergraduate
medical education. Working in an unconventional environment will also
push you to become more innovative and make you seek creative solutions
to medical problems. During your elective period, due to the high
number of patients and cases, you will encounter a range of medical
conditions seldom seen in your home country. These cases may seem more
complicated to you since you might not be accustomed to them or have
not experienced them before. You will get the chance to learn alongside
skilled local professionals, who will share their knowledge and teach
you about the healthcare issues of your host country. While abroad, you
will also have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local
culture, and experience life in a whole different setting.

List of SUMS Clinical Departments

In the following you can find SUMS clinical departments in which you
can undertake your Medical Elective placements:

*	Department of Anesthesiology
*	Department of Cardiology
*	Department of Community Medicine
*	Department of Dermatology
*	Department of Emergency Medicine
*	Department of ENT
*	Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics 
*	Department of Internal Medicine
*	Department of Neurology
*	Department of Neurosurgery
*	Department of Nuclear Medicine
*	Department of Ophthalmology
*	Department of Orthopedics
*	Department of Pathology
*	Department of Pediatrics
*	Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
*	Department of Psychiatry
*	Department of Radiology
*	Department of Radiotherapy
*	Department of Surgery
*	Department of Urology

Eligibility Criteria

In order to be eligible to apply for SUMS Medical Elective Programs,
the applicant must satisfy the conditions below:

*	The candidate must be a medical student. Students of majors
other than medicine are excluded.
*	The candidate should not be a graduate.
*	The candidate must be in their final or penultimate year of
study of their medical degree, as students are expected to have done
some clinical training before they can undertake an elective at SUMS.
*	The candidate must be enrolled at a non-Iranian University, be
an international student studying in an Iranian university, or be an
Iranian student studying abroad. 

Program Requirements

The online application will prompt you to upload a scanned version of
the following documents. Make sure to prepare them ahead of submitting
your application.

*	A photograph
*	The copy of the main pages of the passport
*	Curriculum Vitae (CV)/ Résumé
*	Transcript of the records/Marksheets
*	English proficiency certificate
*	Medical Elective Application Form (The applicant should fill in
the Medical Elective Application Form and get it signed and stamped by
the institution at which they are studying)

Language Requirements

The applicants must fulfill one of the following language proficiency
requirements:

*	TOEFL: minimum score of 69 iBT; 525 PBT
*	IELTS: minimum band score of 5.5
*	Other evidence showing that the applicant has English
proficiency at least equivalent to requirements I or II above.

However, an applicant who is a native speaker of English or who has
received their education in a university program in which English was
the primary language of instruction is exempted from this requirement.
Those candidates who know Persian are exceptions. 

Accepting an Offer

Offers of elective opportunities will be held open for 8 weeks. If we
receive no confirmation of acceptance from the applicant within that
time, his/her name will be removed from the files and the place will be
offered to another student. It is important therefore that applicants
confirm acceptance as soon as possible through email.

Cancellation of An Elective Attachment

If at any time an applicant wishes to withdraw an application or cancel
an offer of attachment, this should be done IMMEDIATELY, via email at
[email-masked].

Visa Application

Upon receipt of your admission, you are requested to submit the
following items to SUMS via e-mail, so that your visa application
procedure can commence:

*	Passport size photo
*	A scanned copy of the data pages of your passport
*	Completed visa application form
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/Images/UserFiles/1/file/SUMS%20Visa%20Form.pdf> 

Visa process can take at least between 6-8 weeks to complete. Each
successful application is assigned a Visa Reference
Number/Authorization Code by the Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs of
Iran. You will need the reference number/authorization code along with
your original passport to collect your visa. Once we receive the
reference number/ authorization code, we will forward it to you via
email. Then, you should schedule an appointment with the Iranian
embassy or consulate in your country that you have already determined
on your application form
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/Images/UserFiles/1/file/Iran%20Embassies.pdf> .
Carry the obtained visa reference number/ authorization code together
with your passport to the relevant embassy or consulate to collect your
visa. For further information, see here
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18333/Visa-Affairs> .

Application

See below for the link to apply through our electronic process. All
visiting students must complete the online application. Remember also
to fill in the application form prior to application and submit it
along with other requested documents.

 

Click here to apply for SUMS Medical Elective programs:

 
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/form/18463/Apply-to-SUMS-Non-degree-Programs-
-Medical-Electives-> 

 

To apply to other SUMS Elective programs please check the links below:

Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Elective Program
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18629/Visiting-Pharmacy-and-Pharmaceutic
al-Electives--Internships-> 

Specialty and Subspecialty (Residency) Elective
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18630/Specialty-and-Subspecialty--Reside
ncy--Elective-Programs>