Subject: General Rules of Conduct
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18367      Publish Date : Monday, August 3, 2015 Visit : 15010 

General Rules of Conduct 

SUMS General Rules of Conduct 

 

General Rules of Conduct

 

SUMS Disciplinary Rules

 

The fundamental purpose of the present General Rules of Conduct
promulgated by Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS) is to
safeguard health, safety, property, and rights of all members of the
University community as well as promote the orderly operation of the
University. As members of the University community, students accept
certain responsibilities which support the educational mission and
create an environment in which all students are afforded the same
opportunity to succeed academically.

This document communicates the proper General Code of Conduct for all
students at SUMS. This present code of conduct is aligned with the
University’s main mission and core values.

The following rules and regulations are applicable to ALL
undergraduate, graduate, exchange and visiting students of SUMS:

This document communicates the proper General Code of Conduct for all
students at SUMS. This present code of conduct is aligned with the
University’s main mission and core values.

The following rules and regulations are applicable to ALL
undergraduate, graduate, exchange and visiting students of SUMS:

1.     Students shall act in a manner that maximizes the substantial
benefits of public education. 

2.     Students shall maintain academic integrity. 

3.     Students shall accept responsibility for their own behavior. 

4.     Students should not act in any manner that constitutes or
appears to constitute contempt of the University.

5.     Students should not behave, whether within or   outside the
University, in any manner which is detrimental or prejudicial to the
interest, well-being or good name of the University, any of the
students, staff, officers, and employees of the University, or to
public order, safety or security, or to morality, decency and
discipline.

6.     Students shall respect others. 

7.     Students shall respect the rights and property of others. 

8.     Students shall follow established district, school, and
classroom rules. 

9.     Students shall refrain from interfering with learning and
teaching.

10.  Students shall avoid eating, drinking, and chewing gum while
classes are in session and during multidisciplinary rounds in clinical
settings.

11.  Students should avoid disturbing any teaching, study, research,
administrative work, students and employees at the University.

12.  Students should comply with the University’s rules, regulations,
orders and procedures, whether within or outside the University.

13.  Students shall have their student ID cards with themselves at all
times. Failure to surrender ID card upon the request of University
officials may lead to prevention from entering the University premises
or using University facilities. 

14.  Students shall develop and use problem-solving skills to resolve
conflicts. 

15.  Students shall refrain from harming themselves or others. 

16.  Students shall refrain from acting in such a manner as to expose
others to risk or danger of harm or injury. 

17.  Students shall not use threats or intimidation against others. 

18.  Students should not act in any manner that constitutes or appears
to constitute a threat or intimidation or is injurious, physically or
mentally, to the well-being and safety of any other student or any
staff member of the University.

19.  Students shall not engage in unlawful activities (see Booklet No.
7 on SUMS’ Student Disciplinary Regulations). 

20.  Participation in or conducting an unauthorized gathering or any
assembly that objectively threatens or causes injury to person or
property or that interferes with free access to the University premises
including residence halls, or any such gathering that is unprotected
and objectively harmful, obstructive, or disruptive to the educational
process or functions of the University is strongly prohibited.

21.  Smoking within the University premises and its affiliated
residence halls is forbidden.

22.  No student should give, supply, provide or offer or propose to
give any liquor, intoxicating substances, addictive energizing drugs,
alcoholic beverages, and addictive, narcotic, depressant, or
hallucinogenic drugs or substances as amphetamines, marijuana or any of
that ilk.

23.  Any student who is found to be in a state of intoxication or under
the influence of any dangerous drugs or poison should be guilty of a
disciplinary offense (see Booklet No. 7 on SUMS’ Student Disciplinary
Regulations).

24.  No student should consume orally or smoke, inhale, or introduce
into his/her body by injection, or in any other manner whatsoever, any
dangerous drugs or poison.

25.  The University may require a student suspected to be a drug
dependent to submit himself/herself for urine test. If a student
refuses to submit himself/herself to this test, he/she commits a
disciplinary offense.

26.  No student should, within or outside the University, have in his
possession any article, which is considered as obscene or pornographic.

27.  The distribution, circulation or exhibitions of any obscene
article within the University is considered illegal.

28.  Students shall refrain from carrying, bringing, using, or
possessing any weapon or weapon facsimile, or using anything else as a
weapon, in or on district property.

29.  A student should not do anything that may be prejudicial to the
cleanliness and neatness of a students’ living accommodation within the
University, or of any other buildings or structures or any other parts
affiliated with the University (see Booklet No. 4 on SUMS’ Housing
Rules and Regulations).

30.  Dispersing litter in any form onto the grounds of campus or
University facilities including housing areas shall be avoided. 

31.  A student shall not make any sound or noise, or cause any sound or
noise to be produced, by any means or in any manner, where such noise
or sound causes or is likely to cause annoyance or disturbance to any
person within the University or in SUMS’ clinical settings.

32.  The University may require a student suspected to have mental
disorder to submit himself/herself for medical examination by a
qualified and SUMS’ approved medical practitioner.

33.  The proper relationship between the opposite sexes and the
acceptable attire of students are among essential components of the
University’s identity and accordingly the same should be clearly
defined. The University expects the students to observe the values and
norms of moral propriety, decent behavior and respectable attire that
together reflect the identity that the University wishes to project and
nurture. The following orders, in addition to the existing ones, are
meant to reinforce the importance of the above objectives and help the
students to live up and uphold the high level of Islamic manners,
ethics and decent behavior.

34.  Students shall maintain appropriate dress and hygiene (see
Booklets No. 2 & 3 on SUMS’ Dress Code)

35.  Any student who is inappropriately attired will be barred
altogether from entering all academic and administration buildings and
shall be guilty of a disciplinary offense (see Booklet No. 7 on SUMS’
Student Disciplinary Regulations).

36.  Male and female students should at all times practice the
principle of modesty, respectable interaction and proper decorum in
public places, during meetings, sporting and cultural activities,
gatherings or when dealing with patients in clinical settings.

37.  All students shall show respect for all cultural backgrounds
through developing cultural competence and acknowledgment of diversity
across the University.

38.  Close proximity between unmarried couples, or individuals (not
being a “mahram”*) or being in physical proximity between opposite
genders or of the same gender in any suspicious situation(s) or in any
condition(s) which may raise suspicions as to the real motive of the
acts and/or all kinds of deviant behaviors are not allowed. “Suspicious
situations” and “deviant activities” here include all, but not limited
to sexual activities with or without the consent of the involved
parties.

*According to Islam, a “mahram” relative is generally one to whom
marriage is absolutely and permanently prohibited, such as father,
mother, son, daughter, sister, brother, niece, nephew, aunt, uncle. 

39.  Opposite gendered students found doing any of the following acts
would be deemed as violating the University’s code of conduct:

*	     Kissing
*	     Hugging
*	     Smooching
*	     Holding hands
*	     Caressing any part of the partner’s body
*	     Sitting in close proximity to each other in isolation from
other people in a situation or position that could raise suspicion as
to the real motive of the act 

40.  No person not being a “mahram” is permitted to, within or outside
the University, engage in any kind of sexual conduct with any members
of the University or visitors to the University which may also include
other serious or persistent unwanted sexual contact or conduct, such as
harassment, threats, intimidation or unwanted touching or fondling.

41.  If at any time during enrolment on a course of study of the
University a student is arrested by the police and charged with a
criminal offense, the student is required to report this immediately to
the University. If he/she is sent to trial, the University must also be
kept informed at all stages either by the student or by their legal
representative. If the student is convicted then this must also be
reported along with details of any sentence imposed.

42.  Aiding, abetting, or procuring another person to do an activity
which otherwise violates this Code of Conduct is prohibited. Being
present during planning or commission of any offense will be considered
aiding and abetting. Thus, students who anticipate or observe an
offense should remove themselves from the situation and shall report
the offense.

43.  Students, externs, interns, residents or fellows shall switch
their cell phones off in clinical settings, especially during
interdisciplinary rounds. 

44.  When it appears to a Disciplinary Authority that a student has
committed a disciplinary offense, the Disciplinary Authority shall
proceed with further investigations.

45.  The Disciplinary Authority may issue a notice to the student to
attend before the Disciplinary Authority to give statement in writing
within a specified period or on the date specified in the notice.

Please be aware that the University may from time to time make new
rules and regulations or make amendments to the existing rules and
regulations. The Office of the Vice-Chancellor for Global Strategies
and International Affairs (GSIA) will promulgate new rules and
regulations and amendments to the students by notices. In an effort to
keep students, parents/guardians, staff, and others apprised to the
maximum extent practicable, the latest version of each such policy and
regulation will be published on the University website at
www.gsia.sums.ac.ir. Updated regulations should be regarded as the
final authority.

Download SUMS General Rules of Conduct