Subject: School of Advanced Medical Sciences and Technologies
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18387      Publish Date : Sunday, August 23, 2015 Visit : 51809 

School of Advanced Medical Sciences and Technologies 

School of Advanced Medical Sciences and Technologies 

  School of Advanced Medical Sciences and Technologies

About

To advance cutting-edge technological knowledge, Shiraz University of
Medical Sciences (SUMS) established the School of Advanced Medical
Sciences and Technologies in 2008. The School initially operated in a
virtual format before setting up a temporary office in July 2011 and
later relocating to a dedicated, purpose-built facility.

The School offers both Master’s (M.Sc.) and Doctoral (Ph.D.) programs.
Given the interdisciplinary nature of its curricula, it draws upon the
expertise of seasoned faculty from other schools within the University.

In a pioneering step, the school became SUMS first unit to admit Ph.D.
students in Medical Biotechnology through the national entrance
examination administered by the Ministry of Health and Medical
Education. Following official approval, Ph.D. admissions in Molecular
Medicine and Neuroscience commenced in February 2014. The Departments
of Reproductive Biology and Tissue Engineering and Applied Cellular
Sciences also officially launched their academic activities in 2016
with the enrollment of their first Ph.D. students, setting in motion
their mission to cultivate expertise and advance education in these
specialized field. Expanding its academic portfolio, the School
introduced the Comparative Biomedical Sciences program for the first
time in 2019. Currently, it offers Ph.D. programs in Medical
Biotechnology, Molecular Medicine, Neuroscience, Reproductive Biology,
Tissue Engineering and Applied Cellular Sciences, Medical
Nanotechnology and Comparative Biomedical Sciences alongside a Master’s
program in Medical Nanotechnology.

Given the interdisciplinary nature of its educational programs, the
School of Advanced Medical Sciences and Technologies benefits from the
collaboration of 45 affiliated faculty members from various schools and
research centers across SUMS. In addition, 21 full-time faculty members
actively contribute to research and teaching across the following
departments:

Departments   	 Medical Biotechnology

 

Neuroscience

Reproductive Biology

Medical Nanotechnology

Molecular Medicine

Tissue Engineering

Comparative Biomedicine

Mission

 The School of Advanced Medical Sciences and Technologies is tasked
with the mission of educating and empowering forward-thinking
professionals in critical and emerging domains such as molecular
medicine, reproductive biology, neuroscience, nanomedicine, biomedical
engineering, and comparative biomedical research. Emphasizing hands-on
learning, interdisciplinary research, and technological innovation, the
School nurtures a new generation of committed scientists capable of
translating basic science into clinical applications. Through academic
excellence, collaboration across medical and scientific disciplines,
and development of advanced diagnostic, therapeutic, and cognitive
tools, the School aims to improve public health, respond to national
and global medical needs, and contribute to the realization of
third-generation university objectives.

Vision

 The School envisions becoming an internationally recognized center of
excellence in medical innovation and interdisciplinary research,
leading advancements that transform healthcare systems and biomedical
understanding. By integrating cutting-edge knowledge in nanotechnology,
genomics, cognitive neuroscience, and translational medicine, it
aspires to shape the future of medical science. The vision includes
fostering a culture of creativity, entrepreneurship, and ethical
responsibility, where graduates not only generate scientific
breakthroughs but also contribute meaningfully to society through
education-industry collaboration, and commercialization of advanced
health technologies. Through dynamic partnerships and global
engagement, the School seeks to redefine the frontiers of health
science education and impact.

The table below outlines the current academic programs offered by the
School:

Program Name	 B.Sc.	 M.Sc.	 Ph.D.	 
Applied Cell Sciences

 	  	 Program Exists at SUMS	 
Comparative Biomedicine

 	  	 Program Exists at SUMS	 
Medical Biotechnology

 	 Program Exists at SUMS	 Program Exists at SUMS	 
Medical Nanotechnology

 	  	 Program Exists at SUMS	 
Molecular Medicine

 	  	 Program Exists at SUMS	 
Neurosciences

 	  	 Program Exists at SUMS	 
Reproductive Biology

 	  	 Program Exists at SUMS	 
Tissue Engineering	  	  	  	 

Campus Facilities

As part of SUMS ongoing commitment to fostering innovation,
interdisciplinary collaboration, and public well-being, the School of
Advanced Medical Sciences and Technologies offers its students,
faculty, and staff access to a range of purpose-designed facilities.

Educational facilities:

Smart Classrooms & Lecture Halls – Equipped with interactive
technologies and digital learning platforms to support hybrid education.

Research Laboratories & Data Centers: Designed for cutting-edge
investigations including:

🧬 Biotechnology / Molecular Medicine Lab

🧫 Reproductive Biology Lab

🧠 Neuroscience Lab, Brain and behavior

⚛️ Nanotechnology Lab

🔬 Zebrafish Lab

🖥️ Bioinformatics Research Center

To support specialized research initiatives, each laboratory is
equipped with advanced instruments tailored to its focus area. Notable
equipment includes:

*	CO2 incubator
*	200 liter refrigerated incubator
*	Boiling bain-marie model CPN-70
*	Power Electrophoresis
*	Vertical electrophoresis tank model VU-130D
*	Biorad 7*7 mini sub cell horizontal electrophoresis tank
*	Thermocycler
*	Simultaneous gel dock and Western blot imaging
*	Gel Dock Imaging
*	Refrigerated incubator shaker
*	Freezer 80-(U410-88)
*	Inverted fluorescent microscope
*	-20-degree freezer
*	Stirrer
*	Microfuge
*	Refrigerated centrifuge, 14,000 rpm
*	Laminar hood class 2
*	Microwave
*	Fermentor
*	Microinjection
*	Triple Gas Incubator (CO2, O2, N2)
*	ET-7 Nitrogen Tank
*	Micro Forge, MF- 900
*	Micro Grinder, EG- 400
*	E100 Optical Microscope
*	Advanced screening audiometer
*	Emotive epoc plus quantitative electroencephalograph (QEEG)
device
*	EST electroshock device
*	Transcranial electrical brain stimulation device with TPCS,
TRNS, tACS, tDCS stimulation capabilities
*	NR-sign 3840- 32 channel electroencephalograph-analyzer device
*	Automatic reaction timer with foot pedal and response button
*	Flicker perception threshold measuring device
*	Mirror tracing motor learning assessment system
*	Functional Near-Infrared Spectroscopy
*	Unico 2100 Spectrophotometer
*	Ultrasonic
*	Water Distiller, Fully Automatic HWS FA30
*	pH meter model bp3001
*	Deionizer
*	Electrospinning
*	Ice maker
*	Real-time PCR device

Recreation and Welfare Facilities:

*	Self-service hall for students
*	Prayer hall
*	Copy & Print Center
*	Parking Lot (for Faculty & Staff)
*	Internet Access

Contact Details

Dean:  Dr. Cambyz Irajie

Tel.: (+98 71) 37259122

Fax: (+98 71) 37259122

Email: [email-masked]

Address: School of Advanced Medical Sciences and Technologies, Building
No. 2, Ahmad Nader Kazemi Clinic, Salman Farsi Blvd., Valiasr Sq.,
Shiraz, Iran