Subject: Exam Rules and Regulations
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18467      Publish Date : Saturday, March 18, 2017 Visit : 12552 

Exam Rules and Regulations 

SUMS’ Exam Rules and Regulations 

SUMS’ Exam Rules and Regulations

 

 

The following rules and regulations govern all examinations of Shiraz
University of Medical Sciences (SUMS) and have been approved by the
International Education Council (IEC) of the University.

A: Personal Belongings

1. Any unauthorized materials, such as books, paper, documents,
pictures and electronic devices with communication and/or storage
capabilities such as cell phone, tablet PC, laptop, smart watch,
portable audio/video/gaming devices, etc. are not to be brought into
the examination hall.   
 
Note: At the discretion of the relevant faculty member, students may
bring calculators into the examination hall, but only calculators
approved by the University are permitted. Graphic calculators which are
approved for use shall be reset, i.e., all memory should be cleared,
prior to any examination.
 
2. Candidates should bring pens, pencils, erasers, and other writing
instruments that may be needed for an exam and are NOT allowed to take
or ask for them while the examination is in progress.

B: At the Start of the Examination

Candidates shall bring their Student ID Card to the examination venue.
At the start of an examination, candidates shall write their name,
course, module, Student ID Number, examination title and sign and date
the Attendance Slip provided.
Candidates shall arrive at the examination venue at least 30 minutes
prior to the start of an examination.

C: During the Examination

1. No talking is permitted as the exam papers are distributed. Talking
during the exam is considered cheating.
SUMS’ Definition of Cheating: Cheating is defined as fraud, deceit, or
dishonesty in an academic examination, or using or attempting to use
materials, or assisting others in using materials that are prohibited
or inappropriate in the context of academic examination. Thus, as the
University takes a serious view of cheating, the following premises are
provided to elaborate the term more explicitly:

*	Copying or attempting to copy from others during an exam
*	Communicating answers with another person during an exam
*	Preprogramming a calculator (or any other device) to contain
answers or other unauthorized information for exams
*	Using unauthorized materials, prepared answers, written notes,
or concealed information during an exam
*	Taking an exam for another person or having someone take an
exam for you

*	While the examination is in progress, any type of communication
between candidates is strictly forbidden, and any candidate found to be
giving or receiving irregular assistance will be required to withdraw
from the examination. This act will be considered cheating; thus, the
candidate will be formally reprimanded and referred to the Student
Disciplinary Committee of the University.

*	A candidate who is suspected of cheating in examinations is
liable to disciplinary action (See Booklet No. 7 on SUMS’ Student
Diciplinary Regulations). All materials and/or devices which are found
in violation of any examination rules and regulations will be
confiscated.

2. Candidates may not leave the examination hall for any reasons, and
this includes toilet breaks, drinking water, etc. Otherwise, the
candidate will be barred from resuming the exam. This will also be
regarded as the termination of the exam by the candidate.         
Note 1: Please note that in exceptional cases, a candidate may ask one
of the invigilators to help him/her resolve the issue.  The final
decision is with the head of the invigilators who is a faculty member.
 
 Note 2: If, for any reason, the candidate is given permission to leave
the hall temporarily, he/she shall be accompanied by            an
invigilator throughout his/her absence from the examination hall.  
 
 Note 3: The candidates are required to leave their belongings as exam
papers, calculators, pens, etc. on their desks when             they
temporarily, obeying Notes 1 and 2, leave the exam hall.
3. Silence shall be observed in the examination hall. The only
permissible way of attracting the attention of the invigilator by a
candidate is raising one’s hand for recognition.
 
4. Cell phones brought, if permitted, into the examination hall must be
switched off at ALL times. If your cell phone is found to be switched
on in the examination hall, it will be confiscated and retained for
investigation of possible violation of regulations.
 
5. Each candidate shall sign the Seating List confirming presence at
the examination. Thus, the candidates are not allowed to leave the
examination hall prior to inscribing their signature on the
aforementioned form.

D: At the End of the Examination

*	Candidates are NOT allowed to leave the examination hall during
the examination and during the collection of the answer scripts. All
candidates shall remain seated throughout this period for the
invigilators to properly account for all answer scripts to be collected.
*	Candidates are to stay in the examination hall until the
invigilator gives permission to leave. The candidates shall also
observe silence before leaving the examination hall.
*	Once dismissed, students should leave the examination hall
quickly and quietly.

E: Absence

If a student registers for a course but fails to take the examination,
he/she will be deemed to have sat and failed the examination unless the
concerned authority is satisfied that there is a good and sufficient
reason for the absence from the examination. Only in some rare cases,
an absence, whose proof is verified and approved by the International
Education Council (IEC) of the University, can be considered as an
excused one. 

An excused absence includes the following items:

*	A medical condition which existed and progressed before the
exam in a way that it influenced the student’s function
*	Acute mental or physical emergency conditions leading to the
hospitalization of the patient
*	Unexpected events such as car accidents and natural disasters
*	Childbirth occurring during the period beginning one week prior
to the exam until 3 days following the exam
*	 Surgery operated prior to the exam
*	 Close bereavement
*	 Court order requiring court attendance
*	 Going on Haj pilgrimage
*	 Any kinds of justified issues occurring during the exam that
might disrupt the exam

F: Illness

Absence at the exam session due to illness can be considered as excused
only in the following cases. Otherwise, it will be regarded as
unexcused and a zero grade will be recorded for the relevant course.
 
1. Students who claim to be sick (inpatient cases are exceptional)
shall take part in the exam session, present the required Medical
Certificate (MC) and complete the required form(s)*, approved by the
course instructor and the International Education Council (IEC) of the
University. The form(s) will be later sent to the Medical Council of
the University for further considerations. 
*The form(s) can be collected from the exam invigila tor during the
course of the exam.
 
2. If a student has been admitted to a hospital, he/she shall submit
the Inpatient Admission Certificate, verified and approved by the
hospital and the Medical Council, affiliated with SUMS. The
certification should be submitted to the International Education
Council (IEC) immediately. 
   
Note:  The submitted MC should cover the date(s) of the affected
examination(s). Both the MC and the other approved form(s) shall be
submitted simultaneously to the Office of the Vice-Chancellor for GSIA
within two working days from the absence date. Submission will not be
accepted if any of the requisite documents are missing. Due
consideration cannot be expected from the IEC if the MC and the
required forms are not received on time.
 
3. If an examinee falls ill during an examination, one should inform
the Chief Invigilator at the examination hall. If he/she is too ill to
continue with his/her examination, he/she may leave the examination
hall to seek medical attention. The examinee’s unfinished answer script
will still be marked and graded. Special considerations may be given at
the sole discretion of the IEC only if the student submits a doctor's
memorandum, which shall be verified and approved by the Medical Council
of the University. 

G: Fees

In case of being placed in “debt status” as for deferred tuition fees
or any other costs to the University, the students may be barred from
the examinations or have the scores of any examination or a course
withheld, which will consequently result in being banned from next
semester’s course selection. Students are welcomed to consult the
Office of the Vice-Chancellor for GSIA for assistance should they face
any difficulty.

H: Supplementary Notes

*	All candidates should pay attention to the invigilators’
announcements.
*	The University has installed a comprehensive Closed Circuit
Television (CCTV) Surveillance System across the examination halls for
the principal purposes of preventing the misconduct and promoting
public safety. 
*	Candidates who are not properly attired will not be admitted to
the examination hall. Please ensure that you always comply with the
dress code of the University (see Booklets No. 2 & 3 on SUMS’ Dress
Code).
*	Candidates should read the examination timetable carefully to
ensure that they have been correctly entered for their examinations and
know the time, date and location of the examinations they are required
to take.

Notes: Misreading the examination timetable will   not be accepted as a
satisfactory explanation for absence from an examination.

*	Students shall be punctual for examinations. No extra time will
be considered for latecomers due to traffic jams, bad weather,
oversleeping, etc. Students are responsible for planning their
schedules to avoid such issues; extra traveling time should also be
prognosticated to be punctual.
*	Photography is NOT allowed in the examination hall at ALL times.

 

Dowload SUMS’ Exam Rules and Regulations