Subject: Agents Ethics Policy
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18470      Publish Date : Monday, May 15, 2017 Visit : 10971 

Agents Ethics Policy 

Recruitment Agents Ethics Policy at SUMS 

Recruitment Agents Ethics Policy at SUMS

SUMS Agents Ethics Policy

According to  the "London Statement" Recruitment Agencies and
consultancies at Shiraz University of Medical Sciences should adhere to
the following Rules and Regulations:

1. Introduction

 Context

Increasing numbers of students now move across national borders seeking
education and training opportunities in order to gain internationally
recognized qualifications. The growth in the number of international
students has been accompanied by an increase in the number of education
agents and consultants who provide services to them. Education agents
and consultants are integral and important stakeholders in
international education.

 Purpose

*	This high-level Statement of Principles promotes best practice
among the education agents and consultant professions that support
international students. The Statement of Principles is a unifying set
of understandings for the recruitment of, and related services provided
to, students in international education which serve to promote best
practice among education agents and consultants. The Statement will be
reflected in each country’s approach to international education.

2. Ethical Framework

*	The Statement of Principles is based on an underlying ethical
framework of:
*	Integrity - being straightforward and honest in all
professional and business dealings;
*	Objectivity - not allowing professional judgment to be
compromised by bias or conflict of interest;
*	Professional competence and due care - maintaining professional
knowledge and professional service, and acting diligently;
*	Transparency - declaring conflicts of interest to all clients,
especially when service fees are charged to both the education provider
and the prospective student;
*	Confidentiality - respecting and preserving the confidentiality
of personal information acquired and not releasing such information to
third parties without proper authority;
*	Professional behavior – acting in accordance with relevant laws
and regulations and dealing with clients competently, diligently and
fairly; and
*	Professionalism and purpose - acting in a manner that will
serve the interests of clients and the wider society even at the
expense of self-interest; recognizing that dedication to these
principles is the means by which the profession can earn the trust and
confidence of stakeholder groups (individual clients, the public,
business and government).

3. Principles

 Principle 1 - Agents and consultants practice responsible business
ethics.

 Principle 2 - Agents and consultants provide current, accurate and
honest information in an ethical manner.

 Principle 3 - Agents and consultants develop transparent business
relationships with students and providers through the use of written
agreements.

 Principle 4 - Agents and consultants protect the interests of minors.

 Principle 5 - Agents and consultants provide current and up-to-date
information that enables international students to make informed
choices when selecting which agent or consultant to employ.

 Principle 6 - Agents and consultants act professionally.

 Principle 7 - Agents and consultants work with destination countries
and providers to raise ethical standards and best practice.

 

Principle 1: Agents and consultants practice responsible business ethics

*	  Avoiding conflicts of interest
*	  Observing appropriate levels of confidentiality and
transparency
*	  Acting professionally, honestly and responsibly
*	  Refraining from being party to any attempt by students or
others to engage in fraudulent visa applications
*	  Acting in the best interests of the student at all times
*	  Declaring conflicts of interest
*	  Being transparent in fees to be paid by students and
commissions paid by providers
*	  Providing clear avenues for handling complaints and resolving
disputes
*	  Complying with relevant laws and regulations.

Principle 2: Agents and consultants provide current, accurate and
honest information in an ethical manner

*	Providing realistic and appropriate information that is
tailored to the individual student’s circumstances, particularly in
relation to language skills, capacity to pay and level of study
*	Specifying the rights and responsibilities of the student in
the country of destination
*	Refraining from claiming a direct government endorsement or
privileged relationship with a public official or member of the
government where one does not exist; including for example the misuse
of national brand logos
*	Providing a registration number or other identifier on
advertising material
*	Using institutions’ officially approved material in promoting
providers with whom agents have an agreement.

Principle 3: Agents and consultants develop transparent business
relationships with students and providers through the use of written
agreements

*	Signed by the student and the agent
*	Signed by the provider and the agent
*	Include information on the arrangements put in place by agents
and consultants on behalf of the student, such as itemized payment
schedules of fees and services, and refund and transfer policies
*	Provide details on information provided under Principles 1 and
2, as a means of guiding agents and consultants to give appropriate
information to students so that both students and agents understand
what has been agreed to
*	Maintain student confidentiality
*	Are archived in an appropriate manner so that the agreements
can be made available to the student or an appropriate authority within
a reasonable timeframe.

Principle 4: Agents and consultants protect the interests of minors

Ensuring that the prospective student has adequate representation and
support from a guardian and/or legal counsel during meetings with the
agent or consultant and that this is recorded as informed consent
before any money changes hands

*	 Ensuring that the client has the legal capacity to enter into
any commitment
*	 Acting not only in accordance with relevant laws and
regulations, but competently, diligently and fairly as befits dealings
with minors.

Principle 5: Agents and consultants provide current and up-to-date
information that enables international students to make informed
choices when selecting which agent or consultant to employ

*	Providing information to students about the accreditations the
agents have met, the training they have undertaken, the memberships
they hold to professional associations or processes undertaken to
become registered and accredited education agents and consultants
*	Providing information about themselves that support comparison
of registration, qualifications and experience.

Principle 6: Agents and consultants act professionally

*	 Participating in training courses and professional development
wherever possible
*	 Becoming members of professional associations and networks
that promote and support best practice in the recruitment of
international students.

Principle 7: Agents and consultants work with destination countries and
providers to raise ethical standards and best practice

*	Sharing information on best practice in the recruitment of
international students by education agents and consultants.

 

Useful Links:

Requirement for Recruiting Agents
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18448/Requirement-for-Recruiting-Agents>
Agentship Application Form
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/formadd/18476/Apply-for-Agentship> 

SUMS Official Agents
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18401/Official-Agents>