Subject: Quality Control of Herbal Medicine and Natural Products (Instrumental Based)
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18480      Publish Date : Tuesday, May 1, 2018 Visit : 9543 

Quality Control of Herbal Medicine and Natural Products (Instrumental
Based) 

Quality Control of Herbal Medicine and Natural Products (Instrumental
Based) 

Short-Term Training Program 

on

Quality Control of Herbal Medicine and Natural Products
(Instrumental-Based)

 

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS) officially announces
short-term non-degree based training programs
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18315/Short-Term-Training-Programs>
held in various teaching settings by SUMS’ affiliated departments to
meet the requirements of prospective international applicants. The
programs make the trainees feel the difference and enable them to stand
up in the expert community. With decades of experience hosting
enthusiastic learners from around the world, SUMS can help you make the
most of your short time in Iran and dive into your area of study in a
whole new way.

In line with the internationalization policies of Shiraz University of
Medical Sciences (SUMS), the Department of Pharmacognosy at SUMS'
School of Pharmacy is delighted to offer international students a
short-term training program on the " Quality Control of Herbal Medicine
and Natural Products (Instrumental Based)".  

What is Quality Control of Herbal Medicine and Natural Products
(Instrumental Based)?

The chemical constituents of herbal products may vary depending on
harvest seasons, plant origins, drying processes and other factors.
Thus, it is necessary to determine phytochemical constituents of herbal
products in order to ensure reliability and repeatability of their
pharmacological and clinical effect. Several chromatographic
techniques, such as high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), gas
chromatography (GC), high-pressure thin layer chromatography (HPTLC)
can be applied to quantify the major components of the herbal products.
They also can be used to prepare a chemical profile, such as a
chromatographic fingerprint, for an herbal product which can be
compared with the profile of a standard reference.  They also can be
used to detects different adulterations and any unwanted ingredients.  

Thin layer chromatography (TLC), High-pressure thin layer
chromatography (HPTLC)

TLC and HPTLC are usually the common methods of choice for herbal
analysis before establishing other instrumental chromatographic methods
such as GC and HPLC. Several herbal pharmacopeias have provided TLC
fingerprints of herbal medicines. TLC is rather simple and can be
employed for multiple sample analysis. For each chromatography lane,
more than 40 compounds can be separated simultaneously at one time. It
is possible to obtain useful qualitative and quantitative information
from the developed HPTLC plate.

Gas chromatography (GC) and volatile components in herbal medicines

It is well-known that many pharmacologically active components of
herbal medicines are volatile chemical compounds. Thus, analysis of
volatile compounds by gas chromatography is very important in the
analysis of herbal products. GC analysis of volatile oils gives a
reasonable “fingerprint” which can be used to authenticate essential
oils. The composition and relative concentration of the organic
compounds in the volatile oil are characteristic of the particular
plant and the presence of impurities in the volatile oil can be readily
detected. Secondly, the extraction of the plants' volatile oil is
relatively straightforward and their components can be easily
identified using GC–MS. The advantage of GC clearly is its high
sensitivity of detection for almost all the volatile chemical
compounds. This is especially true for the usual GC-FID detection and
GC–MS.

High-performance liquid chromatography

HPLC is a popular method for the analysis of herbal products because it
is easy to learn and use and is not limited by the volatility or
stability of the sample compound. In general, HPLC can be used to
analyze almost all the compounds in the herbs. It is necessary to
notice that the optimal separation condition for the HPLC involves many
factors, such as the different compositions of the mobile phases, their
pH adjustment, pump pressures, etc. Thus, a good experimental design
for the optimal separation is necessary. The advantages of HPLC is its
versatility for the analysis of the chemical compounds in herbal
medicines.

Atomic absorption is used to determine heavy metal contaminations of
herbal products.

During this Short-Term Training Program, each student will have a
practical project on quality control of herbal medicine/ natural
product. Meanwhile, he/she will attend the necessary classes on
theoretical bases of the experimental procedure as well as the
instrumental techniques. The students will learn about determining
Pharmacopeial values for herbal medicine as well as working with GC/MS;
HPTLC; HPLC; IR and atomic absorption. The student is required to
finish the project and give a report as a manuscript with final data.

This project does not include troubleshooting or repairing the
instruments.

To see more information on this program please click here.

The following Table features some useful information for the applicants
of this program:

 

Item	 Description	 
Application Fee	 None	 
Tuition Fee	 625.00 USD for every four weeks	 
Program Duration	 6 months	 
Application Period	 All year round	 
Medium of Instruction	 English/Persian	 
Admission Notification	 Candidates will be notified of the results via
email.	 
Furnished Accommodation Fee	 400.00 USD per month*

 

*Please note that SUMS assumes NO responsibility for the provision of
accommodation to those who want to undertake a short-term course at
SUMS. 

Admission Requirements:

1. The applicants have to hold one of the following degrees:

*	The Pharmacy Doctorate (Pharm.D.)
*	Master of Philosophy in Chemistry
*	Master of Philosophy in Photochemistry
*	Bachelor's degree in Chemistry

2. The applicants should provide us with their last academic degree(s)
along with the complete transcript(s) of records.

3. Minimal requirements for English language proficiency is either
IELTS: minimum band score of 5.5, or TOEFL (or its equivalent in
TOEFL): iBT (minimum 69) or PBT (minimum 525). The following
individuals are exempted from providing a certificate of English
proficiency:

*	Applicants who are natives of English speaking countries
*	Applicants whose language of instruction in their previous
degrees has been English

 

To apply to the Short-Term Training Program of the "Quality Control of
Herbal Medicine and Natural Products (Instrumental Based)  please click
here:

 <http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/login/menu/18463> 

For more information please see the links below:

SUMS' Short-Term Training Programs
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18315/Short-Term-Training-Programs>