Subject: Dr. Alireza Abdollah Shamshirsaz
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18600      Publish Date : Saturday, September 7, 2019 Visit :
5251 

Dr. Alireza Abdollah Shamshirsaz 

Dr. Alireza Abdollah Shamshirsaz 

 

Dr. Alireza Abdollah Shamshirsaz	 Dr. Alireza Abdollah
Shamshirsaz

Associate Professor

Department of Maternal Fetal Medicine

Texas Children’s Fetal Center

Email: <mailto: [email-masked]> [email-masked]

Phone: +1-8328267470

Address: 6651 Main Street, Suite F1020, Houston, Texas, United States

Download CV 

Biography

Dr. Shamshirsaz serves as an attending physician both in the Fetal
Intervention Team and Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine. He sees
patient s primarily at the Fetal Center at the Pavilion for Women. He
cares for women and fetuses with a variety of medical conditions
complicating pregnancy and performs various feto-maternal interventions
including fetal surgeries.

Dr. Shamshirsaz is a Fetal Surgeon and a dual board certified
obstetrician and gynecologist and maternal fetal medicine specialist.
He did his medical school in Tehran University of medical sciences in
Iran and spent 4 years on research as a post-doc fellow in two of the
best research institutes of the country. In 2003 he came to the United
States as a graduate post-doc research fellow working at University of
Colorado Health Science Center. He did his internship and residency at
University of Buffalo and University of Iowa Health Care. He, then,
attended the University of Connecticut where he got his maternal fetal
medicine fellowship. In 2012, his enthusiasm to patient care, research
and innovation brought him to Baylor College of Medicine for two more
years of training in fetal intervention and perinatal surgery where he
works as an associate professor of obstetrics and gynecology, maternal
fetal medicine specialist and fetal surgeon now.

It is worth mentioning that he has been also TUMS Distinguished
Visiting Professor since 2018.

Dr. Shamshirsaz’s clinical interests include twin pregnancy, fetal
congenital diaphragmatic hernia, fetal genitourinary abnormalities such
as lower urinary tract obstruction (LUTO), fetal lung masses, fetal
neural tube defect, fetal hydrops and all placenta abnormalities such
as chorioangioma of placenta. Dr. Shamshirsaz performs all types of
fetal intervention such as laser ablation of placenta anastomoses for
twin to twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS), shunt placement for LUTO and
pleural effusion, fetoscopic repair of neural tube defect and open
fetal surgery. 

Research Priorities

Fetal Surgery and Perinatology

Areas of Expertise 

*	Fetal Surgery
*	Placenta Accreta Spectrum
*	Medical Ethics
*	Twin pregnancy
*	Advanced fetal ultrasound
*	Obstetrics epidemiology  

Previous academic collaborations with SUMS

*	Performing the first Neural Tube Defect(NTD) repair in the
middle east in 2013 in collaboration with SUMS
*	Performing multiple Fetal Interventions like Congenital
Diaphragmatic Hernia (FETO) and laser Ablation for TTTS in
collaboration with SUMS
*	Participating in different medical congresses like the 1st
International Congress of Perinatology and the 7th National Congress of
Perinatology and Neonatolog
*	Publishing scientific articles with Dr.  Froutain (SUMS
Attending)

Number and the duration of previous visits to SUMS

*	More than twenty visits during last seven years
*	Duration of three days to one week