Subject: Prof. Harold G. Koenig
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18603      Publish Date : Saturday, September 7, 2019 Visit :
3684 

Prof. Harold G. Koenig 

Prof. Harold G. Koenig 

 

	 Prof. Harold G. Koenig

Professor-Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences

Department of Psychiatry and behavioral sciences

Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, United States

E-mail: <mailto: [email-masked]> [email-masked]
<mailto: [email-masked]> 

Phone: +1-919-681-6633

Address:40 Duke Medicine Circle, Durham, North Carolina 27710 USA

CV

Biography

Dr. Koenig completed his undergraduate education at Stanford
University, nursing school at San Joaquin Delta College, medical school
training at the University of California at San Francisco, and
geriatric medicine, psychiatry, and biostatistics training at Duke
University Medical Center.  He is currently board certified in general
psychiatry, and formerly board certified in family medicine, geriatric
medicine, and geriatric psychiatry, and is on the faculty at Duke as
Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences (since 2002), and as
Associate Professor of Medicine.  He is also Adjunct Professor in the
Department of Medicine at King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi
Arabia, and Adjunct Professor in the School of Public Health at Ningxia
Medical University, Yinchuan, People’s Republic of China.  Dr. Koenig
is Founder and Director of the Center for Spirituality, Theology and
Health at Duke University Medical Center, and has published extensively
in the fields of mental health, geriatrics, and religion, with over 500
scientific peer-reviewed published articles, nearly 100 book chapters,
and over 50 books in print or preparation.   His research on religion,
health and ethical issues in medicine has been featured on dozens of
national and international TV news programs (including ABC’s World News
Tonight, The Today Show, twice on Good Morning America, the Dr. Oz
Show, and NBC Nightly News), over a hundred national or international
radio programs, and hundreds of newspapers and magazines (including
Reader's Digest, Parade Magazine, Newsweek, Time, and Guidepost).  Dr.
Koenig has given testimony before the U.S. Senate (1998) and U.S. House
of Representatives (2008) concerning the benefits of religion and
spirituality on public health, and travels widely to give seminars and
workshops on this topic. He is the recipient of the 2012 Oskar Pfister
Award from the American Psychiatric Association and the 2013 Gary
Collins Award from the American Association of Christian Counselors.
Dr. Koenig has a book series out on religion and mental health in
Islam, Protestant Christianity, Catholic Christianity, Judaism,
Hinduism, and Buddhism.  He is the lead author of the Handbook of
Religion and Health (3rd edition, forthcoming), with co-authors Tyler
VanderWeele (professor of biostatistics at Harvard’s T.H. Chan School
of Public Health) and Raymond Peteet (professor of psychiatry at the
Harvard School of Medicine).

Research Priorities 

Religion and health

Previous academic collaborations with SUMS

Video presentation on the Holy Prophet’s Tradition (Sireye Nabavi) in
Medicine for the 4th International Congress on Holy Prophet Mohammad’s
tradition in medicine