Subject: Dr. Mahmoudreza Pourkarim
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18604      Publish Date : Saturday, September 7, 2019 Visit :
3787 

Dr. Mahmoudreza Pourkarim 

Dr. Mahmoudreza Pourkarim 

 

	 Dr. Mahmoudreza Pourkarim 

Senior Postdoctoral fellow

Clinical and Epidemiological Virology

Laboratory of clinical and epidemiological virology

Rega Institute, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven

Email: [email-masked]

Phone: + 32-16-32 11 53

Address:Herestraat 49, Rega Institute for Medical Research - 10th floor

3000 Leuven, Belgium

Download CV 
Biography

MahmoudReza Pourkarim born and grew up in Shiraz, Iran. He obtained his
Bachelor and Master degree in Microbiology. He joined Bushehr Iranian
Blood Transfusion Organization as Vice Director and Quality Control
(QC) manager, where he implemented notable improvements to the blood
safety. He received a scholarship from the Ministry of Health and
Medical Education of Iran for a doctoral program. In 2006, he joined
Laboratory of Clinical and Epidemiological Virology, Department of
Microbiology and Immunology, Rega Institute for Medical Research at KU
Leuven Belgium. He received his PhD in Medical Virology in 2012. His
professional interest focusses of viral hepatitis, particularly inter-
and intra-host evolution of hepatitis B virus (HBV). He discovered
novel strains of HBV and proposed new classification of HBV.

Educational background,strong scientific experience and knowledge in
field of viral hepatitis resulted in over 40 scholarly peer-reviewed
publications and made him an internationally known scientist in the
field of blood borne infectious diseases. He currently conducts his
cutting-edge research in the field of human blood virome. He received
several research grants from different scientific organizations and
pharmaceutical companies. Dr. Pourkarim is a member of editorial boards
of several peer-review journals including Hepatitis Monthly, Journal of
HIV/AIDS and Infectious Diseases (JAID) and Journal of Virology and
Antiviral Research. He is an active scientist in WHO global program in
eradication of viral hepatitis. His recent publications in The Lancet
and the Lancet Gastroenterology and Hepatology exhibits his scientific
visions. Currently, he is a senior scientist and leading his own group
in Rega Institute of KU Leuven focusing on human blood virome in
healthy and infected patients. Dr. Pourkarim is ambitious to transfer
his experience and knowledge about emerging and re-emerging infectious
diseases to his homeland.

Research Priorities

*	Hepatitis B Virus
*	blood virome
*	emerging infectious diseases

Previous academic collaborations with SUMS

Collaboration in research and publishing of several scientific articles

Number and the duration of previous visits to SUMS

At least 6 times