Subject: Dr. Aliakbar Asadipooya
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18614      Publish Date : Sunday, December 1, 2019 Visit : 5811 

Dr. Aliakbar Asadipooya 

Dr. Aliakbar Asadipooya 

 

 	 Dr. Aliakbar Asadipooya

Associate Professor

Department of Neurology,School of Advanced Medical Sciences, Shiraz
University of Medical Sciences 

Appointed as:

Adjunct Faculty

Jefferson Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, Department of Neurology,
Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, PA, USA

Email: [email-masked]

Phone: +987136121065

Address: Neurology Department, Motahari Complex, Namazi square, Shiraz,
Iran

CV
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/Images/UserFiles/1/file/VIsiting%20Professors/CV
%2C%20Asadi-Pooya%20A_%20A_%2C%20March%202016.pdf>  

 

Biography

Dr. Ali Akbar Asadi-Pooya, M.D., is a physician-researcher. He did his
fellowship in “epilepsy and clinical neurophysiology” at Thomas
Jefferson University, Philadelphia, USA (2006-2008). He did a second
epilepsy fellowship on “Invasive intracranial EEG monitoring” in
2014-2016. He is an Associate Professor of Epileptology, Department of
Neurology, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran. He is
also an Adjunct Research Associate Professor of Neurology, Jefferson
Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, Department of Neurology, Thomas
Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA.

He has established an epilepsy care unit and surgery program with a
multidisciplinary team in 2008 in Iran. He has published more than 133
papers and 10 books about various aspects of epilepsy. The main focus
of his research program is on three major topics: 1. Epilepsy surgery:
prognostic factors and outcome; 2. Psychogenic non-epileptic seizures:
epidemiology, definition, semiology and clinical characteristics; 3.
Idiopathic (genetic) generalized epilepsies.

Joint Publications with Thomas Jefferson University

*	  Asadi-Pooya AA, Mintzer S, Sperling, MR. Nutritional
supplements, foods, andepilepsy: Is there a relationship? Epilepsia
2008; 49(11):1819-1827.
*	  Asadi-Pooya AA, Nei M, Sharan AD, Mintzer S, Zangaladze A,
Evans JG, Skidmore C, Sperling MR. Antiepileptic drugs and relapse
after epilepsy surgery. Epileptic Disord 2008; 10(3): 193-198
*	  Asadi-Pooya AA, Nei M, Sharan A, Sperling MR. Type of
preoperative aura may predict postsurgical outcome in patients with
temporal lobe epilepsy and mesial temporal sclerosis. Epilepsy Behav
2015; 50: 98-100
*	  Asadi-Pooya AA, Sharan A, Nei M, Sperling MR. Corpus
callosotomy. Epilepsy Behav 2008; 13: 271-278.
*	  Sperling MR, Nei M, Zangaladze A, Sharan AD, Mintzer S,
Skidmore C, Evans JG, Schilling CA, Asadi-Pooya AA. Prognosis after
late relapse following epilepsysurgery. Epilepsy Res 2008; 78(1): 77-81.
*	  Asadi-Pooya AA, Dlugos D, Skidmore C, Sperling MR. Atlas of
Electroencephalography Patterns. Second Edition, 2015, Thomas Jefferson
University, Web-based Digital EEG Atlas. Published on “Epileptic
Disorders” 2015
(http://www.jle.com/en/revues/epd/edocs/atlasofelectroencephalography305
272/article.phtml
<http://www.jle.com/en/revues/epd/edocs/atlas_of_electroencephalography_
305272/article.phtml> ).
*	  Asadi-Pooya AA, Dlugos D, Skidmore C, Sperling MR. Atlas of
Electroencephalography Patterns. Philadelphia; Thomas Jefferson
University, Webbased Digital EEG Atlas; 2008.
*	  Asadi-Pooya AA, Schilling CA, Glosser D, Tracy JI, Sperling
MR. Health locus of control in patients with epilepsy and its relation
to anxiety and depression. Epilepsy Behav 2007; 11(3): 347-350.
*	Sperling MR, Schilling CA, Glosser D, Tracy JI, Asadi-Pooya AA.
Self-perception of seizure precipitants and their relation to anxiety
level, depression, and health locus of control in epilepsy. Seizure
2008; 17(4): 302-307.

International Collaboration

*	Author of the book: “Antiepileptic Drugs: A Clinicians’ Manual”-
available on Amazon
*	Designer of an anti-seizure selection tool called EpiPick
*	Top-rated expert in Seizure in Asia (link
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/ndt/67/SUMS-Neurologist-Cited-the-First> )

Honors and Awards

Receiver of “ILAE COVID-19 and Epilepsy Research Award” from
International League Against Epilepsy