Subject: About SUMS_Old
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18627      Publish Date : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 Visit : 8690 

About SUMS_Old 

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS) 
This is an Introduction of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences 

 Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS)

 

Central Buildinf of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences

 

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS), founded in 1946, is one
of the oldest medical universities nationwide. Shiraz University of
Medical Sciences was first established as the "Institute of Health for
Higher Education". This institute was turned into the Faculty of
Medicine in 1949.  "Nemazee Higher Institute for Nursing" and the
School of Dentistry were founded in 1954 and 1970 respectively.
Afterwards, other schools were shaped gradually.

All public higher educational schools in Shiraz (medical and
non-medical) were initially under the auspices of Shiraz University –
former "Pahlavi University". In 1986 education of medical sciences in
Iran was taken over by the "Ministry of Health, Treatment and Medical
Education" with the purpose of utilizing national medical resources
more desirably in addition to promoting healthcare as well as medical
teaching and research. Consequently, all medical faculties and centers
continued their activities under the new affiliation; "Shiraz
University of Medical Sciences (SUMS)". Non-medical programs, however,
are still offered under the supervision of Shiraz University
<http://shirazu.ac.ir/en> . 

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS) is not only responsible
for training students in medical areas, but also manages all public
hospitals, clinics and healthcare centers in Fars Province in southern
Iran. The private sector of the health system in Fars is also under the
surveillance of SUMS. 

The following feature SUMS:

*	18 Schools
*	63 Research centers
*	41 Public Hospitals (including 14 teaching hospitals)
*	6 Research Incubators

Over 900 faculty members and more than 25000 personnel are working at
SUMS in different areas including health, treatment, research, and
education. Currently, over 9000 students are studying in a variety of
academic disciplines at SUMS schools and research centers. Iranian
students are recruited to SUMS through National Entrance Exam (Konkur),
whereas non-Iranian international applicants who would like to apply to
SUMS are required to apply online
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18469/Apply-to-SUMS>  after going
through our A-Z
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/UniversityStudy/18422/Programs-A-Z> program
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/UniversityStudy/18422/Programs-A-Z>  list.
At SUMS, we have been capable of providing an intellectual environment
to educate top students and send them out to practice their skills all
over the world.

SUMS displays a good deal of tradition as well as modernity, aiming at
training students, utilizing high-quality education and research. Since
its foundation, SUMS has been active as one of the largest and most
reputable universities in Iran and the Middle East and an influential
figure in the region, regarding the services it offers to the students
as well as the patients. SUMS is particularly proud of being considered
by  the Iran Ministry of Health, Treatment and Medical Education as the
main hub of four scientific areas as follows:

*	The hub of Liver Transplantation
*	The hub of Clinical Immunology 
*	The hub of Clinical Microbiology 
*	The hub of Advanced Electronic Learning

SUMS is also one of the main centers for cochlear implant in Iran. Not
only does it host hundreds of patients from southern Iran, it is also a
well-known pivot for health tourism in Iran attracting hundreds of
patients from nearby countries each year. Some of the specific medical
services which attract patients to Shiraz include:

*	Organ transplantation
*	Cochlear implantation
*	Cardiovascular angiography
*	Hepatic angiography
*	Cancer radiation-therapy and chemotherapy
*	Different types of Eye surgery
*	Different types of heart surgery
*	Different types of orthopedic surgery
*	Fetal Surgery
*	Treatment of infertility by means of IVF technology

  Let our facts and figures show you more about the people of Shiraz
University of Medical Sciences (SUMS). The following is the detailed
statistics of SUMS:

	  	 	 

For more information please check the links below:

Discovering Shiraz
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18301/Discovering-Shiraz> 

Why SUMS <http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18308/Why-SUMS>