Subject: Dr. Ali Mirzazadeh
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18635      Publish Date : Saturday, January 11, 2020 Visit :
3596 

Dr. Ali Mirzazadeh 

Dr. Ali Mirzazadeh 

 

Dr. Ali Mirzazadeh	 Dr. Ali Mirzazadeh

Assistant Professor

Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics

School of Medicine

University of California, San Francisco

Email: [email-masked]

Phone: +1-415 476 5821

Address:

550 16th Street, San Francisco, CA 94158, United States

Download CV

Biography

I am a medically trained infectious disease epidemiologist with
extensive experience in researching with people who inject drugs (PWID)
in the U.S. and Iran. I have authored over 113 peer-reviewed journal
articles (21 specific to injection drug use), 5 book chapters, and 1
UNICEF guidebook on how to study hard-to-reach youth. I established the
first PWID cohort in Iran (ROSTAM study) to measure the prevalence of
drug use and sexual behaviors, HIV and HCV infection, and assess the
feasibility and impact of a community-based HCV treatment model. I also
have ample expertise in different sampling methods to reach individuals
from marginalized groups, including respondent-driven-sampling. In
particular, I have conducted research among several hard-to-reach
populations using sampling methods such as time-location and
responded-driven sampling including female sex workers (Iran 2010 and
2015, Afghanistan 2019, South Africa 2018), people who inject drugs
(Iran 2013-2019, Afghanistan 2019, USA 2015-2019), men who have sex
with men (Iran 2019, Georgia 2015-2019, Afghanistan 2019), prisoners
(Iran 2009 and 2014) and street youth/children (Iran 2018). Through
multidisciplinary collaboration across academic, local, national, and
global organizations, my research has directly led to interventions
that improve engagement in care, viral suppression, and prevention of
HIV/HCV transmission. I am also experienced in interpreting and
disseminating research findings for broad reach through collaboration
with national (e.g., CDC; Global Fund) and global (e.g., UNAIDS)
agencies.

Research Priorities

*	HIV and HCV continuum of care and treatment
*	Understanding blood-borne infectious disease epidemiology among
women and men who inject drugs
*	Sampling hard-to-reach populations including population size
estimation and surveillance
*	Access to and use of harm reduction programs
*	Methods to assess bias and measure effects in behavioral surveys

Previous academic collaborations with SUMS

I have lectured a three-day Scientific Writing Workshop in Dec 2019. I
have also worked with a team on “gender difference in all-cause
mortality of people living with HIV in Shiraz: a 20-year cohort study”

Number and the duration of previous visits to SUMS

A four-day visit in December 2019