Subject: Vision, Mission & Core Values
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18650      Publish Date : Sunday, February 2, 2020 Visit : 6763 

Vision, Mission & Core Values 

SUMS Vision, Mission & Core Values 

Vision

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences aspires to be a national leader
and an internationally recognized institute in developing medical
education, research, and practice. To this end, it sets the bar for
promoting human salubriousness by providing high-quality medical
services to local, regional, and international communities while
cultivating future expert healthcare contributors and influential
leaders.

Mission

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS), as a medical
research/higher education institute and health care provider, sets its
objectives in recruiting skilled personnel and educating future experts
in a comprehensive and diverse range of medical fields. The fundamental
aims that drive the SUMS community to accomplish its mission are to
reduce national health service disparities, promote social health and
life expectancy in Iran, and positively contribute to regional and
local communities’ educational and economic development.

Consistent advancements in healthcare fields, rapid technological
innovations, and the nation’s expectation of access to state-of-the-art
technologies on the one hand, and a significant decrease in natural
resources as well as an increase in high-risk factors such as poverty,
urbanization, and chronic physical maladies and psychological disorders
on the other, highlight the urgent need for health system reformation.
Thus, complying with the university’s policy and in pursuit of local
and global contributions to knowledge and healthcare, the mission of
SUMS is to:

*	Make a significant, sustainable, and socially responsible
contribution to Iran, the Middle East,  and the world so as to promote
individual health, public well-being, and economic growth
*	Lay the foundation leading to continuous health development
plans and the provision of high-quality health care services endorsing
safety and cost-effectiveness
*	Advance humane and quality healthcare for all individuals
*	Expand inter-departmental collaboration to develop the holistic
aspects of health
*	Apply advances in research and medicine to the betterment of
the human condition both locally and globally
*	Reduce national health services disparities and social factors
negatively affecting the well-being of the nation
*	Foster local culture to encourage individuals in using the
offered advanced health care services
*	Provide innovative approaches to elevating society and evolving
its healthcare system
*	Raise the productivity of resources and promote
health-supporting agents
*	Support collective intelligence by channeling various levels of
complexity to arrive at a practical solution or an incisive decision
*	Assure the positive employment of financial and human capital
to provide healthcare services
*	Invest in the decommissioning and transformation of
inappropriate educational and clinical spaces
*	Facilitate the internationalization program via MOUs,
international cooperation and collaboration, international
agreements/contracts, International Education Program (IEP), et cetera.
*	Generate revenue from global health delivery projects and
international programs such as medical tourism and the IEP
*	Provide expertise for both internal and external quality
assurance, quality audit, and accreditation activities
*	Promote the university’s international rank  among medical
research and teaching medical institutions, and assess SUMS performance
against the highest international standards
*	Further high-quality and accessible education and influential
research experiences to contribute to local and global healthcare
demands
*	Improve the opportunities for interdisciplinary programs,
including research activities, study programs, and teaching practicums
*	Provide an amicable and rewarding academic and work environment
for students, faculty, and staff
*	Utilize novel technologies to support teaching, learning,
assessment, and research
*	Create and deliver online courses
*	Design computer-based and online examinations
*	Minimize the university’s environmental impacts
*	Observe the highest standards of ethics and humanistic values

Core Values

Always as SUMS operating ethos, the following values are prioritized to
underlie the university’s mission. These values serve as the foundation
for SUMS commitment, as a tertiary institution and healthcare
contributor, to provide a more equitable and inclusive atmosphere for
education, practice, and research while envisioning both personal
enhancement and social progress.

Respect

SUMS is committed to academic freedom and values the diverse scientific
approaches of its community members; therefore, it respects the
vicissitude of ideas and the expansive range of experiences.

Communication

In an effort to maintain its leadership position in Iran, SUMS
encourages scholars to exchange ideas, foster an environment conducive
to effective communication, and perpetuate SUMS engaging aura. To serve
its global vision, SUMS also strives to expand its international
relations and share its perspectives and scientific research with the
international scientific community. 

Diversity

SUMS strives to be home to individuals from various backgrounds. SUMS
believes that diversity fosters a productive academic atmosphere that
promotes the university’s mission and enriches a more creative
environment. Being hospitable to people from diverse backgrounds
improves our mutual understanding.

Teamwork

Each department and division of the University is tasked with fostering
synergy to advance SUMS resourcefulness and its scientific progress.

Unity

Although SUMS is considered a platform for a plethora of options, a
home for diverse individuals, and a forum for the exchange of divergent
ideas, it is viewed holistically and as an entity that strives to unite
with others across the globe.

Excellence

Since the University embarked on its quest for medical teaching,
research, and healthcare practice, excellence has been demonstrated in
utilizing available opportunities, creating new ones, and ensuring
quality healthcare delivery.

Innovation

Consistently seeking novel approaches to the healthcare system,
pedagogy, and research, innovation is one of the university’s core
values to influence the practice and experience at SUMS positively.

Compassion

Compassion is one of SUMS defining characteristics, exemplified by the
university’s humanitarian stance toward all human sufferings.

Service

Commitment to the well-being of all those with whom the university
interacts, especially the national community, compels SUMS to provide
patients with state-of-the-art services.

Respect for the Natural Environment

SUMS acknowledges the environmental impacts of humans and the
repercussions they will consequently incur. Therefore, the University
recognizes its responsibility toward nature and values ecological
solutions and interdisciplinary practices to ameliorate environmental
degradation or mitigate the negative effects it may cause. 

Integrity

Truthfulness permeates the words and actions of SUMS and serves as the
foundation for every decision the University makes.