Subject: Dr. Naweed Imam Syed
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18652      Publish Date : Saturday, January 11, 2020 Visit :
6407 

Dr. Naweed Imam Syed 

Dr. Naweed Imam Syed 

 

	 Dr.  Naweed Imam Syed

Professor

Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, Hotchkiss Brain Institute

Cumming School of Medicine

University of Calgary, Canada

Email: [email-masked]

Phone: +1- 403 220 5479

Address:

3330-Hospital Drive, North West, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 4N1

Download CV

Biography

Dr. Naweed Syed is a professor and the Scientific Director of Alberta
Children’s Hospital Research Institute, Cumming School of Medicine,
University of Calgary. Dr. Syed held the administrative position of the
Postdoctoral Program Director – Office of the Vice-President (Research)
from 2012 – 2016. In addition, Dr. Syed worked as a special advisor to
the Vice-President for Research and a chief scientist at the
Constructive Destructive Lab (Global). He is currently the Peak Scholar
at the University of Calgary.

Dr. Syed obtained his Master's degree from the University of Karachi,
Pakistan in 1984, and his Ph.D. in Neurophysiology from the University
of Leeds, UK (1988). After a three-year postdoctoral training at the
University of Calgary (1988-1991), he was subsequently appointed as an
assistant professor at the Faculty of Medicine, the University of
Calgary. Dr. Syed has served as the Head of the Department of Cell
Biology and Anatomy for the past 10 years and simultaneously worked as
the Research Director for Hotchkiss Brain Institute. Dr. Syed has led
several major research and academic initiatives for the University –
ranging from Biomedical Engineering to Genome Sequencing, etc.

Dr. Syed has received many international and national awards during his
career including: Alfred P.Sloan Fellowship (USA), Parker B. Francis
Fellowship (USA), Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research
Scholar, Senior Scholar and Scientist Awards, Canadian Institute for
Health Research (CIHR) Investigator Award, and the Fellowship of the
Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh. In 2016, the Government of
Pakistan awarded Dr. Syed the Tamgha-e-Imtiaz (Medal of Excellence –
the highest civilian award for research and innovation). Dr. Syed is
recognized amongst 150 Canadian Innovations/Innovators on the occasion
of Canada’s 150 Birthday this year and has received the Canada-150
Medal by the Senate of Canada.

Dr. Syed and his team are the first to develop a bionic hybrid which
enables direct dialogue between brain cells and silicon chip. This
study is highlighted in Time Magazine and on the Discovery Channel,
Global and Mail, etc.  Dr. Syed has published more than 140 papers in
prestigious peer-reviewed scientific journals including Nature,
Science, Neuron, and the Journal of Neuroscience. He is the receiver
and the holder of multiple research grants from the Canadian Institute
of Health Research and the Natural Science and Engineering Council of
Canada.  He has also been a co-PI on CIHR and CFI team grants.  Dr.
Syed also serves on several national and international grant panels and
is a member of several scientific advisory boards. Dr. Syed has trained
over 57 Ph.D. and M.Sc. students and 20 postdoctoral scholars and has
given several hundred invited lectures around the world, up to now.

Research Priorities

*	Neuroscience
*	Neurodevelopment
*	Neurodegeneration
*	Synapse formation
*	Neurotoxicity
*	Synaptic Plasticity
*	Brain-chip interfacing

Number and the Duration of Previous Visits to SUMS

A two-day visit in December 2019