Subject: Clinical Microbiology Research Center
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18655      Publish Date : Tuesday, March 10, 2020 Visit : 13383 

Clinical Microbiology Research Center 

Clinical Microbiology Research Center 
Clinical Microbiology Research Center 

Professor Alborzi Clinical Microbiology Research Center

	 	 

 

Year founded: 1992

Professor Alborzi Clinical Microbiology Research Center (PACMRC) was
founded by Dr. A. Alborzi in 1992 at Shiraz University of Medical
Sciences (SUMS), Shiraz, Iran, with the aim of developing knowledge in
clinical microbiology through conducting research studies and
overcoming challenges with infectious diseases. The Center was named
after Dr. Alborzi in 1995 for his academic accomplishments in the
field, and it was then registered with Iranian Ministry of Health and
Medical Education. Since 1999, it has been recognized as the most
important microbiology research center in Iran. The center received a
Distinction Award in the Razi Research Festival on Medical Sciences in
2001. Working dynamically during the past 25 years, the faculty and the
staff at the center have published extensively in the field, of which,
140 publications appear in internationally recognized journals.

The research findings have had great contributions to the management of
infectious diseases across the country, and have introduced new
respective approaches and strategies. For example, a multi-center study
entitled “Identifying the Bacterial Meningitis Causes in Children in
Iran” revealed that Haemophilus influenzae bacterium is the most
prevalent etiologic agent among Iranian children with meningitis, and
consequently this vaccination against the bacterium was approved in the
Iranian Vaccination Committee and was introduced to the national
vaccination program. This accomplishment led to Dr. John Nelson, the
World Health Organization’s representative in the Middle East, to rank
the laboratory of this research center as the top laboratory in the
Eastern Mediterranean.

The faculty working in the Professor Alborzi Research Center hold PhD
degrees in Bacteriology, Virology, Microbiology, Immunology, and
Mycology.  The faculty and the staff work together to conduct research
in the respective areas using sophisticated labs. They have been
capable of fulfilling educational, diagnostic and clinical needs in
infectious diseases and tuberculosis.

As for educational activities, the faculty also actively design
research proposals for PhD students in the field of Clinical
Microbiology, provide training courses for fellows in Pediatric
Infectious Diseases, hold scientific workshops and seminars and prepare
treatment manuals and pamphlets. In 2011, the Medical Expansion Office
approved the admission of research students for PhD in the center with
four students admitted in 2012 and the program is continuing.

Given the goal of the PACMRC is the promotion of health standards,
especially in infectious diseases and the application of the research
findings, a center for Clinical Microbiological Diagnosis was
established in 2006 which provides cutting-edge lab services in
Virology, Bacteriology and TB, Mycology, Parasitology and Immunology
for admitted patients and outpatients.
The Center actively pursues the promotion of health standards in
relation to infectious diseases across Iran with reliance on faculty’s
capabilities and utilizing the most up-to-date technology and
knowledge, in collaboration with other existing research centers and
organizations.

Research Priorities 

*	Meningitis (bacterial and viral)
*	Brucellosis
*	Tuberculosis and BCG vaccine
*	Helicobacter pylori
*	Antibiotic resistance especially in hospital-acquired infections
*	Infections in immunocompromised patients especially the
transplant recipients
*	Leishmaniosis especially visceral type
*	Invasive fungal infections
*	Investigating the viral agents such AC enteroviruses,
polioviruses, HIV and their related disorders
*	Investigating Herpes virus family especially Cytomegalovirus,
Herpes simplex, Epstein–Barr virus (EBV) and their related disorders
*	Respiratory viruses especially influenza and new strains
*	Investigating bacterial and viral etiology of diarrhea
especially Shigella, clostridium difficile and rotavirus
*	Investigating Hepatitis viruses especially types A, B, C, D, E
and their related disorders

Honors

*	The selected Research Center in the 7th Razi Research Festival
on Medical Sciences
*	Ranked as the best Clinical Microbiology Research Center in the
Eastern Mediterranean
*	Dr. Abdoalvahab Alborzi ranked as the third top researcher of
the country in 2000
*	Dr. Parisa Badiee ranked as the best researcher of the country
for three consecutive years
*	Ranked as the best Clinical Microbiology Research Center in the
region
*	A report prepared on the “Bacterial Meningitis causes in
children in Iran” for the National Vaccination Committee which led to
the approval of the Haemophilus Influenza Vaccination in the country
*	Use of BACTEC blood culture in the Research Center for the
first time in the country
*	Offering advanced treatments in the country for visceral
leishmaniasis, aspiration of lymph node, Nalidexic Acid as a preferred
treatment for bloody diarrhea
*	Using molecular tests for the diagnosis of invading fungus and
providing 24-hour service for patients
*	Using molecular tests for the diagnosis of infectious diseases
and providing 24-hour service for the patients
*	Using molecular tests for the diagnosis of visceral
leishmaniasis and providing services for patients

 

Director

Gholamreza Pouladfar

Associate professor of Internal Disease

Subspecialty in Pediatric Infectious Diseases

Download CV

Email: [email-masked]

	 

  _____  

Contact information:

Prof. Alborzi Clinical Microbiology Research Center

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences

Namazi Hospital, Karimkhan Zand St., Shiraz, Iran

PO Box: 71937-11351

Tel.: (+98 71) 36 47 42 96

Fax: (+98 71) 36 47 43 03

E-mail: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

Link <http://alborzicmrc.sums.ac.ir/en/>  to the Center’s Website