Subject: Vesal Museum of Medical Sciences History
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18670      Publish Date : Wednesday, March 11, 2020 Visit : 4649 

Vesal Museum of Medical Sciences History 

Vesal Museum of Medical Sciences History 
Vesal Museum of Medical Sciences History 

Vesal Museum of Medical Sciences History

	 	 

 

Vesal Museum of Medical Sciences History commenced its activities in
2012 in the Nemazee Behboudestan building. Nemazee Behboudestan was
considered as one of the modern health centers in old times, founded by
Dr. Mohammad Nemazee, the greatest philanthropist in Shiraz.  In 2014,
when Dr. Abdolvahhab Nourani Vessal decided to dedicate his historical
house for the Medical Sciences History, the Museum moved to this new
site after the repair and historical restoration of the house. The
Museum was then named Vesal Museum of Medical Sciences History after
Dr. Abdolvahhab Nourani Vesal.

The main mission of the Museum is to identify and collect ancient
medical instruments, old documents and books in medical sciences,
introduce the Museum and the history of medical sciences in Fars
province to the freshman students and the staff and conduct research on
medical history.  

The Museum owns three treasuries of medical history, art and culture.
The treasury of medical history has 68 medical instruments. The art
treasury holds two exquisite miniature paintings and more than 200
crystals, brass and engraved pottery from the Sasanian empire to the
Pahlavi dynasty.  The treasury of culture keeps many coins from
different historical eras.

Different Parts of the Museum

The Museum hall, the public hall and the library hall are the three
halls of Vesal Museum. The Museum hall keeps the historical items, the
public hall which has a capacity of 40 people is an appropriate place
for workshops or cultural events and the library hall has more than
3000 books in the field of literature, history and religion. The Museum
also has some other spaces including document repository, workspace and
research room. 

Vesal Museum Contact Information

Address:

Vesal Museum of Medical Sciences History, in front of alley 36, East
Mirzaye Shiraz St., Ghasrodasht St., Shiraz, Iran – PO Box: 71877-64735

Phone: (+98 71) 36 25 32 02

E-mail: [email-masked]