Subject: Dr. Friedrich Götz
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18751      Publish Date : Saturday, September 7, 2019 Visit :
2169 

Dr. Friedrich Götz 

Dr. Friedrich Götz 

 

	 Dr. Friedrich Götz   

Professor of Microbiology

Department of Microbial Genetics

Interfaculty Institute of Microbiology and Infection Medicine Tübingen
(IMIT)

Faculty of Science

The University of Tübingen

E-mail Address: [email-masked]

Phone: +49 7071 2974128

Address: Auf der Morgenstelle 28, D-72076 Tübingen, Germany

CV

Biography

Prof. Dr. Friedrich Götz studied Biology and Chemistry at the
University of München (LMU). In 1978, he finished his Ph.D. in
Microbiology and habilitated in 1985. In 1987, he was appointed
professor and chair of Microbial Genetics Department at the University
of Tübingen. From 2015 till now, he is endowed with
senior-professorship.

From 1979 to 1981, he received an EMBO long term postdoctoral
fellowship at the Biomedical Center, Uppsala, Sweden.  In 1989, he
received the DECHEMA Award for developing a new cloning system in
Staphylococcus carnosus. Later on in 1991, he received Deutsche
Gesellschaft für Hygiene und Mikrobiologie (DGHM) Award for the
significant scientific work he had done in Microbial Genetics. He
served as the dean of the Biology Faculty and from 2003 – 2009, he was
the president and then the vice-president of the Association of General
and Applied Microbiology (VAAM) in Germany. In 2009, he has received
the DGHM Lecturer Award which honors internationally renowned
researchers in the fields of infection research, immunology or hygiene.
In 2009, he co-founded the Interfaculty Institute for Microbiology and
Infection-medicine Tübingen (IMIT) which is the association of the
former separated microbiological institutes at the Science Faculty and
the Medical Microbiology and Clinical Infectiology and Immunology. He
is currently a member of the Cluster of Excellence—Controlling Microbes
to Fight Infections (CMFI) at the University of Tübingen where in
cooperation with his co-researchers he attempts to develop new
strategies to control infections with his co-researchers.

Dr. Götz works as a reviewer and an associate editor for many
microbiology/immunology related journals and he is also a consultant
for various national and international research institutions. Since
2011, he has been a member of the European Academy of Microbiology
(EAM). He has supervised more than 120 Ph.D. candidates and postdocs
and 15 of them have obtained professorship positions.  

Dr. Götz is a leading scientist in infection biology, particularly of
Staphylococcus species. The objectives of his research are: The
physiology of staphylococci in biofilms, protein excretion pathways,
lipoproteins as key players in immune response and virulence,
developing of new antimicrobial compounds and mode of action.

According to google scholar Dr. Götz’s h-index is 94. He has published
more than 380 peer-reviewed papers which have been cited more than
29,000 times.

Research Priorities:

Dr. Götz research priority is the study of bacterial physiology and
bacteria host interaction. Members of the bacterial genus
Staphylococcus are widespread as commensals of humans and animals where
they colonize the skin or mucous membranes. This co-existence remains
mostly untroubled, especially for the healthy host. However, bacteria
may pose a serious threat for human and animals when they get access to
inner organs of the body. How the bacteria counteract or evade our
immune system, how they invade host cells where they are protected from
antibodies and antibiotics and how newly discovered antibiotics act are
the topics of Friedrich (Fritz) Götz’ research team.

Previous Academic Collaborations with SUMS: 

*	Joint projects on antimicrobial peptides and  bioactive amines