Subject: Vice-Chancellery for Global Strategies and International Affairs
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18789      Publish Date : Tuesday, April 13, 2021 Visit : 3422 

Vice-Chancellery for Global Strategies and International Affairs 

Vice-Chancellery for Global Strategies and International Affairs 

Vice-Chancellery for Global Strategies and International Affairs

Aspiring to become an internationally recognized institute, Shiraz
University of Medical Sciences (SUMS), known for its leading role in
the region, announced the establishment of the Vice-Chancellery for
Global Strategies and International Affairs (GSIA) in Jan. 2015.
Internationalization, diversity, community engagement, global learning,
and safeguarding SUMS reputation have always been among the main
concerns of the Vice-Chancellery for GSIA. In pursuit of the
University’s Mission, it focuses on supporting the development of new
research and health-care projects with partner universities and seeks
developing new global and regional partnerships and pioneering
strategic initiatives, thus, since its commencement, the
vice-chancellery has been incessantly seeking to develop international
cooperation and collaboration via MOUs, international
agreements/contracts, International Education Program (IEP), etc.
Further, enhancing the University’s international rank as a research
and teaching medical higher education institute and measuring SUMS
performance against the highest international standards have been among
the focal points of the Vice-Chancellery.

Key Task Responsibilities are to:

*	Strengthen SUMS position as an influential figure in the region
*	Foster connections within SUMS community and abroad
*	Promote global engagement at SUMS across all aspects of the
university’s mission
*	Facilitate, underpin, and strengthen international partnerships
and collaborations between SUMS and its prospective/present partners
around the world
*	Identify funding opportunities
*	Act as a liaison for institutional departments’ and government
agencies’ international cultural and scientific events/programming
*	Serve as a liaison for SUMS students, faculty, researchers, and
staff involved in international activities and initiatives
*	Enrich and foster the educational and research experience of
SUMS international community
*	Advocate for international and cross-cultural experiences
*	Provide expertise/upgrade information for international quality
assurance, quality audit, and accreditation activities
*	Plan, manage, and administer Study Abroad program(s)
*	Create global leaders
*	Advertise the University internationally to make the University
known as a “global institute” for research, higher education, and
health care
*	Increase student recruitment and the University’s training
provision via a wide range of international networking and marketing
activities
*	Improve on SUMS ranking position in the world-famous university
ranking systems
*	Provide services and supportive programming to the
international community at SUMS
*	Formation and follow up on decisions made by the Supreme
Council for International Relations
*	Give advice at all stages of partnership programs
*	Support outbound/inbound exchange programs
*	Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders
*	Plan and administer Non-resident Iranian Elites Program
*	Host in-bound exchange students, visitors, scholars, and
delegations 
*	Admit, train, and provide services for foreign students
attending international training programs, in collaboration with the
Vice-Chancellery for Education
*	Cooperate with the Vice-Chancellery for Clinical Affairs to
advance health tourism programs
*	Organize all international scientific gatherings, such as
congresses, seminars, symposia, etc. in collaboration with the
Vice-Chancellery for Research and Technology
*	Support Short-Term study abroad programs for faculty and
students
*	Offer individual guidance and meetings with each study abroad
participant
*	Facilitate the lawful non-immigration status of foreign
students, visitors, and scholars conforming to Iran’s regulations
*	Give advice on various non-immigrant visa categories
*	Manage International student health insurance
*	Facilitate international student's transition to study and live
in Iran
*	Provide quality English and Persian language education
*	Support international students’ welfare and interests while
attending SUMS
*	Provide services such as cultural activities, sports events,
and housing options
*	Hold International Student Orientation Programs
*	Offer local airport pick-up on initial journey to Iran for
students who will reside on campus

Directorates and affiliated Offices

*	Directorate for International Education Development
*	Directorate for International Networking and Marketing
*	Directorate for International Relations, Accreditations, and
Rankings
*	Office of Consular Affairs and International Sabbaticals

International Education Program

Concerning the University’s mission, Vice-Chancellery for GSIA is
missioned at planning, internationally advertising, managing, and
administering the International Education Program (IEP) to admit
fee-paying students from all around the world. As it is approved by the
International Education Council (IEC) and SUMS Executive Committee, the
international students admitted via the IEP are required to:

*	Be non-Iranian citizens, Iranian citizens and applicants who
hold dual citizenship cannot apply to SUMS International Education
program (IEP). They must rather sit Iranian National University
Entrance Examination (Concours).
*	Be officially certified as a/an:

*	B.Sc. or high-school/secondary school (equivalent) graduate for
applying to the M.Sc. programs
*	M.Sc. and B.Sc. (equivalent) graduate for applying to Ph.D.
programs
*	M.B.B.S./M.D. (equivalent) graduate for Specialty programs
*	M.B.B.S./M.D. and specialty (equivalent) graduate for
Subspecialty or Fellowship Programs
*	Internship attendee or awardee of a certificate of practice for
Specialty, Subspecialty, or Fellowship programs
*	Demonstrate a satisfactory academic record (the cognate
information is provided on SUMS webpage at www.sums.ac.ir/en).
*	Submit evidence of satisfactory English language proficiency
(further information is available at www.sums.ac.ir/en).
*	Apply only online via http://www.gsia.sums.ac.ir.

Since 2005, the Vice-Chancellery for GSIA in cooperation with the
Vice-Chancellery for Education and the Vice-Chancellery for Research
and Technology has facilitated recruiting international students into
over 220 disciplines. Applicants to the IEP ‘s undergraduate programs
can choose M.D., D.M.D., or Pharm.D. programs, or among 12 offered
bachelor’s degree programs. The IEP’s graduate education includes
master’s, Ph. D., specialty, subspecialty, and fellowship programs in a
broad range of disciplines. The Vice-Chancellery has also provided the
opportunity of training international students recruited into
non-degree-based programs (NDBPs) including short-term training
programs and medical elective program. During the elective program, the
students will develop their skills by observing and participating in
Iran’s health care delivery system within 4–12 weeks. SUMS teaching
facilities such as Nemazee, Shahid Faghihi, and Shahid Chamran
hospitals provide services and education to international elective
students in the following departments:

*	Department of Anesthesiology
*	Department of Cardiology
*	Department of Community Medicine
*	Department of Dermatology
*	Department of Emergency Medicine
*	Department of ENT
*	Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics
*	Department of Internal Medicine
*	Department of Neurology
*	Department of Neurosurgery
*	Department of Nuclear Medicine
*	Department of Ophthalmology
*	Department of Orthopedics
*	Department of Pathology
*	Department of Pediatrics
*	Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
*	Department of Psychiatry
*	Department of Radiology
*	Department of Radiotherapy
*	Department of Surgery
*	Department of Urology

Both Iranian students enrolled in a non-Iranian institute and
non-Iranian candidates who are attending either an Iranian university
or a university abroad can apply for Medical elective placements.
Applicants to this program are to be in their final or penultimate year
of study of their medical degree. A precise and comprehensive list of
programs offered by sums along with their cognate information are
provided on the university’s website at gsia.sums.ac.ir
<http://www.gsia.sums.ac.ir/> .

Vice-Chancellor:

Manica Negahdaripour, Pharm.D., Ph.D., MBA

Address: 6th Floor, Administration Building of Shiraz University of
Medical Sciences, Zand St., Shiraz, Iran

Zip Code: 71348-14336

Tel.: (+98) 71 32 12 28 84 <tel:+987132122884> 

Email: [email-masked]