Subject: Dr. Marek Jan Łos
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18825      Publish Date : Monday, June 15, 2020 Visit : 2187 

Dr. Marek Jan Łos 

Dr. Marek Jan Łos 

	 Dr. Marek Jan Łos

Professor of Cell Biology and Regenerative Pharmacology

Department of Pathology, Biotechnology Center

Medical Faculty

Silesian University of Technology

Pomeranian Medical University

E-mail Address:  [email-masked]

Phone: +48 32237 2908

Address: 8 Krzywousty St., 44-100 Gliwice / 151 Unii Lubelskiej St.,
71-344 Szczecin, Poland

CV

 

Biography

Marek Łos studied medicine at Jagiellonian Univ., Krakow, Poland. He
obtained his doctoral degree from Heidelberg University  in 1995, and
Habilitation in Molecular Medicine (an academic teaching license) from
the University of Muenster in 2002. At the moment he holds several
academic positions; he is a professor at Biotechnology Center at the
Silesian University of Technology, simultaneously holds a visiting
professorship position at the Pomeranian Medical University in
Szczecin, Poland, is an honorary visiting professor at Jinan
University, Guangzhou (Canton), China, and is a senior scientific
adviser at Linkocare Life Sciences AB, Linköping, Sweden, whose core
business is the production of artificial corneas. Dr. Łos has
(co-)authored over 170 scientific papers, some of which have been
highly-cited, and has also edited several books. His H-index is 56 and
his papers are cited over 90 times on average (his total number of
citations is approximately 16 000 to date). Moreover, he has been
serving as member of a number of editorial boards of scientific
journals, as well as on various grant review committees in  Europe and
in Canada. Dr. Łos pursues various research projects  in the fields of
regenerative medicine, biomaterials, biotechnology, oncology, and
targeted cancer therapies. His most important scientific achievements
were the description of involvement of caspase family of proteases in
CD95 (APO-1/Fas) mediated apoptosis, (Los et al., 1995; Nature 375:
81-83), and the discovery of the role of kinase Akt both in the
regulation of cell survival and cell death of cancer cells (Maddika et
al., 2008, J. Cell Sci.; Maddika et al., 2009, Mol. Cell. Biol.). His
research program makes practical and effective use of modern methods
like DNA-, protein- and tissue arrays, real-time PCR, proteomics, and
animal models. It assimilates technologies from different disciplines
like tumor biology, biochemistry, virology, pharmacology, and
nanotechnology. To secure effectiveness and competitiveness of
scientific work, Dr. Łos is engaged in several local, national, and
international collaborations both with industry and the academia. His
research interest encompasses medical biotechnology, virology, cell
death execution pathways, as well as cancer stem cell biology and the
pathophysiology of epigenetic reprogramming (iPS-cells), and
transdifferentiation.

Research Priorities:

*	Stem cell biology
*	Cancer biology
*	Tissue engineering
*	Regenerative pharmacology
*	Advanced biomaterials

Previous Academic Collaborations with SUMS:

Collaborations with Prof. Saeid Ghavami
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18754/Dr--Saeid-Ghavami>  and Prof.
Pooneh Mokarram

Number and Duration of Previous Visits to SUMS:

3 times (one-day visits)