Subject: School of Paramedical Sciences
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18842      Publish Date : Saturday, March 12, 2022 Visit : 12016 

School of Paramedical Sciences 

School of Paramedical Sciences 

School of Paramedical Sciences

About

SUMS School of Paramedical Sciences is founded in 1987 to deliver
job-oriented para- medical training so as to produce industry-ready
para-medical professionals. It emphasizes delivering quality education
with constant hands-on training to develop specialized skills to the
group of students who are willing to be part of the healthcare delivery
system. Since its founding, the School shares this philosophy and
commitment to incessantly strive to foster an active and rigorous
teaching and learning environment that represents a diversity of
perspectives, experiences, and approaches to engage in ongoing
systematic and focused efforts to attract and retain students, faculty
and staff from diverse backgrounds. From 1987 to 1991, the school
offered professional doctorate and associate’s degree programs in
Medical Laboratory Sciences. Since 2000, the associate’s degree in
Laboratory Sciences has been transferred to Gerash Institute of Medical
Laboratory Sciences. The school also ran associate’s and bachelor’s
degree programs in Radiology available through daytime courses in 1991
and evening courses in 1996.

The Schools’s distinguished faculty includes more than 38 full- and
part-time researchers, who have made pioneering contributions in the
areas of paramedical sciences. Currently, the School encompasses 475
students who receive specialized training in seven different
departments which are the Departments of Medical Laboratory Sciences,
Radiology, Computer Sciences, English Language, Persian Language and
Literature, Physical Education, and Medical Journalism.  Students
enrolled in paramedic training programs can complete daytime or evening
bachelor’s and master’s programs. These programs give students a
thorough grounding in science, physiology and anatomy, advanced life
support, and pre-hospital care. Medical Laboratory and Radiology
programs for paramedics typically include clinical training which
prepares students for further training in their related fields.

Programs:

As for the year of 2022, the following programs are offered by SUMS
School of Paramedical Sciences:

Program Name

B.Sc.	 M.Sc.	 Ph.D.	 
Clinical Laboratory Sciences

Programs Exists at SUMS	  	  	 
Medical Biotechnology

 	 Program Exists at SUMS	  	 
Medical Journalism

 	 Program Exists at SUMS	  	 
Radiation Technology 

Program Exists at SUMS	  	  	 
Radiobiology and Radiation Protection

 	 Program Exists at SUMS	  	 

 

Campus Facilities

All the students enrolled at the School of Paramedical Sciences can
benefit from all the available facilities and amenities at SUMS;
however, the following educational and Recreation and Welfare
Facilities are exclusively provided for them by this School:

Educational Facilities

*	 Bio Bank: A huge array of DNA and serum samples from patients
and normal individuals and an excellent resource for research and
collaboration at the national and international level
*	  Facilities for nucleic acid amplification: Several high
technology thermal cyclers for DNA amplification, optical densitometer
for determining DNA/protein concentration in the extracted samples.
Also, a computer-connected Gel-Documentation system with UV light to
detect the dye-incorporated amplified DNA. Different subtypes of PCR
are routinely run at the institute
*	Cell and tissue culture facilities: Three fully equipped rooms
with high technology incubators, hood, and other equipment required for
cell culture
*	Flow cytometry: Three color flow cytometer (red ion laser, 488
nm) equipped with a sorter for cell characteristics analysis. Cell
cycle analysis and apoptosis study by applying the second laser in the
near future. The four-color study of the cells will be possible soon
*	Real- time PCR: A high technology Real time PCR system for
quantitative study of gene expression and real detection of DNA
amplification
*	Facilities for gene transfer into prokaryotic & eukaryotic
cells: Transformations in prokaryotic hosts, Transformation in
eukaryotic cells using electroporation and lipofection
calcium-phosphate methods etc., Viral transduction using adenovirus
vectors
*	Proteomics set: IEF cell with 2nd dimension- PAGE cassette.
Also, densitometer and Prodigy software for 2DE gels-analysis and
comparison
*	HPLC system: A high technology preparative HPLC system for
protein purification purpose
*	Others: DNA and RNA extraction from cells and tissues,
Deionized and distilled water producing system, several simple and
refrigerated centrifuges and micro-centrifuges, ELISA and Plate
Readers, Sonicator system, etc.

Laboratories:

*	Parasitology Laboratory, located at Shahid Faghihi Hospital
*	Microbiology Laboratory, located at Shahid Faghihi Hospital
*	Hematology Laboratory, located at Shahid Faghihi Hospital
*	Biochemistry Laboratory, located at the School of Paramedical
Sciences
*	Virology Laboratory, located at the School of Paramedical
Sciences
*	Immunology Laboratory, located at the School of Paramedical
Sciences
*	Radiobiology Laboratory, located at the School of Paramedical
Sciences 
*	Dosimetry and Radiation Protection Laboratory, located at the
School of Paramedical Sciences
*	Quality Control Laboratory, located at the School of
Paramedical Sciences
*	Radiology Laboratory, located at the School of Paramedical
Sciences
*	Computer Stimulation and Imaging Laboratory, located at the
School of Paramedical Sciences
*	Physics Laboratory, located at the School of Paramedical
Sciences
*	English Language Laboratory, located at the School of
Paramedical Sciences
*	Computer Laboratory, located at the School of Paramedical
Sciences

Recreation and Welfare Facilities

*	   Gym
*	   Library & Information Center
*	   Internet Access
*	   Cafeteria
*	   Self-Service Restaurant
*	   Book store
*	  Copy & Print Center
*	  Praying Room
*	  Halls
*	  Parking Lot (for Faculty & Staff)
*	  ATM

 

Contact Details

Dean:  Dr. Sedigheh Sharifzadeh

Tel.: (+98 71) 32 27 02 38 - 40

Fax: (+9871) 32289113

:  [email-masked] Address

Address: School of Paramedical Sciences, Opposite Homa Hotel,
Meshkinfam St., Shiraz, Iran

Zip Code: 71348 – 14336