Subject: School of Nursing and Midwifery
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18844      Publish Date : Sunday, March 13, 2022 Visit : 16166 

School of Nursing and Midwifery 

School of Nursing and Midwifery 

School of Nursing and Midwifery (A.K.A. Fatemeh-e- Zahra School of
Nursing and Midwifery)

School of Nursing and Midwifery (A.K.A. Fatemeh-e- Zahra School of
Nursing and Midwifery)

About

SUMS School of Nursing and Midwifery, initially named Nemazee Nursing
Higher Education Institution, was established in 1953 when students
would spend three years learning nursing principles and graduate with a
degree in nursing. Academic undergraduate programs have gradually
altered into four years of education since 1975 and the alumni's
degrees have changed to an equivalent for B.Sc. The first academic
four-year undergraduate program commenced with 12 students in 1977. 

By 1977, the Department of Nursing Education of Shiraz University and
the Nursing Institution at Saadi hospital merged with Nemazee Nursing
Higher Education Institution and formed the Nursing Education Center of
Shiraz University. Students were engaged in four-year, three-year, and
complementary undergraduate programs at this center. The Center, in
addition, started to recruit students to pursue an associate degree in
1977. The three-year nursing programs were terminated after the Islamic
Revolution in 1979. Since then, the nursing education programs of the
Center have encompassed four-year and two-year nursing programs, as
well as a complementary undergraduate program.

 In 1980, following the Cultural Revolution, the four-year and the
complementary undergraduate nursing programs were suspended and the
two-year nursing program went on until the students returned to school
and it was then terminated.

At the time of the reopening of the universities, in 1982, the Nursing
Education Center was renamed Hazrat Zeinab (PBUH) Nursing college  and
admitted students to the nursing programs in all those three levels,
i.e., Associate’s, Bachelor’s, and Master’s degrees according to the
Cultural Revolution Programs. At this time, Hazrat Zeinab (PBUH)
Nursing College also recruited students into its newly offered
programs, Bachelor and Associate of Midwifery programs and Associate of
Operating Room Technician program.

In 1986, respecting the diverse range of fields of study, the
sufficiency in the number of faculty members, and the efficiency of
this college to become a part of Shiraz University, Hazrat Zeinab
(PBUH) Nursing College was renamed and established as Fatemeh-e-Zahra
(PBUH) School of Nursing and Midwifery.

In February 1987, nursing graduate programs in different subfields
including mental health nursing, community health nursing,
medical-surgical nursing, and pediatric nursing were held for the first
time.

 In 1988, the two-year nursing and midwifery programs held at
Fatemeh-e-Zahra (PBUH) Academic Community, affiliated with the Health
Organization, were merged with Fatemeh-e-Zahra (PBUH) School of Nursing
and Midwifery. As a consequence, all students studying in nursing and
midwifery or other related fields in Shiraz attended Fatemeh-e-Zahra
(PBUH) School of Nursing and Midwifery. However, these programs were on
the list only until 1992.

Respectively in 1993 and 1996, two graduate programs, management and
midwifery and mother and child health, were added. Furthermore, in
2002, a two-year program, emergency technician, was initiated to be
held. In 2003, another newly-approved graduate program, Ph.D. in
nursing, began. The list of programs available at SUMS school of
Nursing and Midwifery was updated in 2021 with a newly approved
program, that is, Ph.D. in midwifery.

Currently, about 70 educational staff within six departments are
responsible for theoretical, practical, and clinical education of about
1400 students in the school. To provide students with the opportunity
to reach their full potential, the school cooperates with other
departments of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences in educational
programs and activities such as seminars, continuing education
programs, workshops, and thesis advising.

In 2024, Dr. Maryam Shaygan, Dean of the Fatemeh-e-Zahra (PBUH) School
of Nursing and Midwifery, was recognized as the top nursing faculty
dean in the country. According to the school's Public Relations Office,
a ceremony was held on National Nurses' Day, during which President
Masoud Pezeshkian appreciated Dr. Shaygan for her significant
contributions to advancing nursing education.

Programs:

Having educated nurses for nearly seven decades, we deliver a
student-centered education grounded in contemporary nursing and
healthcare standards as well as real-life family experiences and
patient needs. Our highly-experienced faculty, state-of-the art
simulation lab and range of unique clinical settings, provide
exceptional learning opportunities both inside and outside the
classroom.

Being ranked among the best nursing schools in the Country, we offer a
range of programs as follows:

Program Name	 B.Sc.	 M.Sc.	 Ph.D.	 
Anesthesia

Program Exists at SUMS	  	  	 
Community Health Nursing

Program Exists at SUMS	 Program Exists at SUMS	  	 
Critical Care Nursing

 	 Critical Care Nursing	  	 
Geriatric Nursing

 	 Program Exists at SUMS	  	 
Medical-Surgical Nursing

 	 Program Exists at SUMS	  	 
Midwifery

Program Exists at SUMS	 Program Exists at SUMS	  	 
Neonatal Intensive Care Nursing

 	 Program Exists at SUMS	  	 
Nursing

Program Exists at SUMS	  	 Program Exists at SUMS	 
Operating Room

Program Exists at SUMS	 Program Exists at SUMS	  	 
Pediatric Nursing

 	 Program Exists at SUMS	  	 
Pre-hospital Emergency Care

Program Exists at SUMS	  	  	 
Psychiatric Nursing

 	 Program Exists at SUMS	  	 

 

Campus Facilities

Cross the campuses in multiple locations at SUMS, there are a number of
campus facilities to support research, teaching, learning, and other
operations. Creating an exceptional atmosphere for students, faculty,
and staff has been always taken into account at SUMS; thus, we try our
best to provide our community with rewarding recreation and welfare
facilities which may make university life more enriching. While
managing campus facilities, the following are decided to be placed at
SUMS School of Nursing and Midwifery: 

Educational Facilities

*	1 Library
*	6 laboratories
*	Midwifery Clinical Skills Laboratory
*	Nursing Clinical Skills Laboratory
*	Operating Room Skills Laboratory
*	Health Assessment and Physical Examination Simulation Laboratory
*	Moulage Unit and Anatomy Laboratory
*	 Emergency Medical Care Laboratory
*	…. Classes equipped with video projector, LCD
*	….. halls equipped with intelligent board
*	Audiovisual equipment including 130 educational videos, 100
educational slides, and 50 CDs
*	1 internet access computer hall
*	1 computer classroom
*	1 computer station with a printer device (only for Ph.D.
students) 
*	Special Conference room for Master’s and Ph.D. students
*	All the hospitals, health clinics, and emergency centers in
Shiraz, which operate under the supervision of SUMS are used for the
clinical education and internship placement of nursing, midwifery,
operating room technician, and medical emergency students

Recreation and Welfare Facilities

*	Fitness club
*	Tennis court

Contact Details

Dean: Dr. Maryam Shaygan

Email: [email-masked]

Tel.: (+98 71) 36 47 42 54 – 8

Fax: (+98 71) 36 47 42 52                                            

Address: School of Nursing and Midwifery, Nemazee Hospital, Nemazee
Sq., Shiraz, Iran

Zip Code: 71936 - 13119