Subject: Virtual School
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18846      Publish Date : Wednesday, March 16, 2022 Visit : 1389 

Virtual School 

Virtual School 

Virtual School 

“Comprehensive Center of Excellence for Advanced Electronic Learning in
Medical Sciences”

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences

About

The Virtual School of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS) was
originally established in 2006 under the title of "E-learning Center".
In parallel with the advances in educational technologies, the Center
started designing and developing courses in continuing medical
education and public education. It pioneered the nationwide development
of virtual education for physicians, medical professionals and general
public.

In 2008, the center was officially renamed as "Comprehensive Center of
Excellence for Advanced Electronic Learning in Medical Sciences".

Since 2015, the Center of Excellence has continued its activities as
the Virtual School of SUMS, chiefly focusing on the promotion of
educational justice and the optimal use of cyberspace in
teaching-learning of medical sciences.

Currently, employing 3 full time and 5  part time faculty members in
the e-learning department, the School offers a degree-based program in
the field of E-Learning Planning in MSc and Ph.D. level, while
providing educational, technical, and infrastructure services to 5
virtual programs of the University. The school has about 50 students.

Objectives 

The principal mission of the Virtual School is to achieve excellence in
the following areas:

*	Developing individuals’ knowledge, skills and attitudes in the
area of e-learning
*	Managing and transferring medical knowledge in cyberspace
*	Preparing new technological infrastructures and integrating
them into the existing medical education systems
*	Promoting the adoption of modern technologies in medical
education programs
*	Producing knowledge in the field of e-learning based on
domestic needs and priorities

Responsibilities

*	Developing and maintaining infrastructures for virtual learning
at SUMS
*	Implementing the development package for virtual learning based
on the “Educational Transformation and Innovation Plan”
*	Empowering faculties in the areas of virtual learning
*	Supervising the development of virtual learning at SUMS and
other major universities of the 5th national region
*	Developing Electronic content (course content for teaching
medical sciences)
*	Acting in line with virtualization of medical science programs
and in-person courses based on blended learning strategies
*	Publication of the Interdisciplinary Journal of Virtual
Learning in Medical Sciences (IJVLMS)

Degree based Programs

A.     Master’s (M.Sc.) Program

*	E-learning Planning in Medical Science
*	Medical Education
*	Community-based Education
*	Public Health (MPH) in Health Policy
*	Public Health (MPH) in Family Medicine
*	Educational Technologies

B.     Ph.D. Programs

*	 E-learning Planning

None-Degree Programs (National)

*	E-learning Fellowship for Medical Faculty Members.
*	Modular Course on Blended Learning and Content Development
Tools for Faculty Members.
*	E-learning Summer School of for University Students.
*	Short Courses in e-Learning and Content Development Tools for
Students and Faculty Members.

Distinctive Achievements

*	 National Award for ICTQNA (2019)
*	 National Award from UNESCO Chair: Top National Institute in
E-learning Processes (2018)
*	 First rank in the field of electronic systems (2017)
*	 First rank in the national evaluation of the educational and
scientific centers of excellence affiliated with medical universities
(2015)

Publications

*	Dr. Nahid Zarifsanaiey (Link to ISID
<https://isid.research.ac.ir/Nahid_Zarifsanaiey> )
*	Dr. Manoosh Mehrabi (Link to ISID
<https://isid.research.ac.ir/Manoosh_Mehrabi> )
*	Dr. Zahra Karimian (Link to ISID
<https://isid.research.ac.ir/Zahra_Karimian2> )

Educational Facilities

SUMS Virtual School enjoys a wide of range of educational and research
facilities including but not limited to:

*	A conference hall
*	Meeting rooms
*	Virtual and physical classrooms
*	Video & audio recording studios
*	Virtual library with digital content
*	Wide variety of computers, videos, cameras, network
infrastructure, Internet, technological infrastructure, Learning
Management System (LMS), Electronic Testing System, the database of
clinical cases (Casebook), and the video database (DANA).

Contact Details:

Tel.:   (+98 71) 32352942, 323355193, 32361618
Fax:  (+98 71) 32303061                                             

: [email-masked] Address

Vu.sums.ac.ir Website:

Address: Virtual School, Comprehensive Center of Excellence for
Advanced Electronic Learning in Medical Sciences, Sina and Sadra Halls
Complex, Neshat St., Shiraz, Iran

Zip Code: 71348 - 814336  

P.O. Box: 71345 - 1846