Subject: School of Medicine
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18847      Publish Date : Saturday, March 19, 2022 Visit : 21192 

School of Medicine 

School of Medicine 

School of Medicine

 

About

The history of SUMS School of Medicine dates back to December 1946 when
an “Institute of Health for Higher Education”, which was affiliated to
Tehran University was established in Shiraz. The Institute trained
medical hygienists, who would contribute to disease prevention and
treatment responsibility of Iran’s Ministry of Hygiene, during a 4-year
program. Later, following the enactment of the regulation on founding
medical schools in cities other than the capital, Shiraz School of
Medicine was opened in December 1949. 

Up to 1985, Iran’s higher education was regulated by the Ministry of
Science and since then, following the institution of the Ministry of
Health, Treatment, and Medical Education and consequently, the
segregation of medical schools from their affiliated universities, all
medical schools have been performing under the authority of the newly
established ministry. Therefore, Shiraz Medical School and some other
schools in the allied field formed Shiraz University of Medical
Sciences (SUMS) in 1988. 

SUMS School of Medicine was built on a land of 21345 square meters
involving the central library of SUMS, several research laboratories,
and educational buildings. As the main school of SUMS, the School of
Medicine has been famed for its glorious research activities, expert
professionals, eminent professors, and elite students.

SUMS School of Medicine is now one of the fastest growing, top-tier
biomedical research enterprises in the Country. Currently,
approximately 526 faculty members teach within 23 departments at the
School. SUMS School of Medicine’s contribution to medical education,
science, and treatment has represented the School as a center of
excellence in health care services, health policy, health promotion,
research, and training in the south of Iran. The School is now home to
over 3700 students, residents, and fellows, including 231 international
students. At the moment, SUMS School of Medicine ranks among top three
medical schools in the nation.

Vision

The school will have a significant impact on society and the world of
medicine through:

*	Continual innovation in education, research, and creativity
*	Developing a comprehensive educational policy which will lead
to promotion in the quality of education
*	Introducing a disruptive and dynamic management system
*	Applying novel teaching and research methodologies
*	Suppling the most recent research and educational resources and
equipment
*	Attracting national talent
*	Cooperating with world-class universities in faculty and
student exchange programs
*	Recruiting skilled faculty members
*	Recruiting international students via the International
Education Program
*	Cooperating and sharing knowledge with medical schools of the
fifth macro-region in Iran and other medical schools in the region

Mission

To contribute to the well-being of the society of Iran and mankind in
general and in compliance with SUMS policy, strong support for every
individual, including researchers, teachers, staff, and students shall
be observed. Besides, the community shall focus on medical research
which can answer the needs of the society and enhance medical knowledge
globally. 

In term of education, the School of Medicine is responsible to apply
novel pedagogical methods and create a transformative educational
experience for the students across medical disciplines. In pursuit of
this goal, the School is to provide state-of-the-art facilities and
educational resources and technology. To provide the opportunity for a
transformative and dynamic learning experience for every student, SUMS
regionally distinguished medical equipment and facilities shall be used
to their full potentials and scientific and friendly relationship
between students, teachers, researchers, and staff should be built and
strengthened. Education at the School should be programmed to develop
the ability of students to learn throughout life and train future
prominent medical intellectuals and health care providers.

Core values

Impact, reflected in our commitment to improve life quality and
well-being of the nation, deliver health care services to the referred
patients from across the world, and to address critical issues facing
society regionally, nationally, and globally

Dedication, reflected in our commitment to excellence in medical
education and research and health care services

Integrity, reflected in our provision of quality and fair health care
services and medical education considering the highest ethical
standards in personal and professional behavior 

Empathy and compassion, reflected in our support of the members of our
community disregard of their socio-economic backgrounds

Collaboration, reflected in our generous dissemination of knowledge as
well as external partnerships with medical institutions and research
centers both on national and international levels

Programs:

Pursuing a degree at SUMS School of Medicine will be challenging and
rewarding. Students will be immersed in clinical encounters, research,
and community service opportunities throughout their training. SUMS is
renowned for its education innovations and attention to clinical
skills, professional behavior and evaluation. Students will learn the
science and art of medicine using the latest and most effective
methods. Students will also practice teamwork with the multitude of
faculty, staff and other learners on our campus.

SUMS School of Medicine is not just a medical school. In addition to
training physicians, the school offers programs that measure, shape,
and manage health care. In the following, you can find a comprehensive
list of the degree programs the School offers:

The following table depicts the list of programs in the field of
Clinical Sciences at the School of Medicine:

 

Program Name	 M.D.	 M.B.B.S.	 B.Sc.	 M.Sc.	 Ph.D.	 
Doctor of Medicine 

Program Exists at SUMS	  	  	  	  	 
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery 	  	 Program Exists
at SUMS	  	  	  	 
Anatomical Sciences

 	  	  	 Program Level Exists	 Program Level Exists
at SUMS	 
Biomedical Engineering

 	  	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Biostatistics

 	  	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	 Program Level
Exists at SUMS	 
Clinical Biochemistry	  	  	  	 Program Level Exists
at SUMS	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	 
E-Learning Planning in Medical Sciences

 	  	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Human Genetics

 	  	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Iranian Traditional Medicine

 	  	  	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	 
Medical Bacteriology

 	  	  	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	 
Medical Education

 	  	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Medical Ethics

 	  	  	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	 
Medical Immunology

 	  	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	 Program Level
Exists at SUMS	 
Medical Microbiology

 	  	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Medical Mycology

 	  	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Medical Parasitology

 	  	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	 Program Level
Exists at SUMS	 
Medical Physics

 	  	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	 Program Level
Exists at SUMS	 
Medical Physiology

 	  	  	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	 
Medical Virology

 	  	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Perfusion Technology

 	  	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Pharmacology

 	  	  	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	 
Physiology

 	  	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 

 

Program Name	 Specialty	 Subspecialty	 Fellowship	 
Allergy & Immunology

 	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Anesthesiology

Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	  	 
Cardiac Anesthesia

 	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	 
Cardiology

 	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	 	 
Cardiovascular Surgery

 	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	 
Colorectal surgery

 	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	 
Community Medicine

 	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Cornea & External Eye Diseases

 	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	 
Critical Care Medicine

 	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Dermatology

Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	  	 
Emergency Medicine

Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	  	 
Endocrinology and Metabolism

 	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Endourology

 	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	 
ENT (Ears, Nose, and Throat)

Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	  	 
Gastroenterology and Hepatology

 	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Gynecology Endoscopy

 	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	 
Gynecology Oncology

 	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	 
Hematology and Oncology

 	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Infertility

 	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	 
Internal Medicine

Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	  	 
Interventional Cardiology

 	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	 
Interventional Radiology

 	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	 
Liver Transplant Surgery

 	  	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	 
Neonatology and Perinatology

 	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Neurology

Program Level Exists at SUMS	 Program Level Exists at SUMS
Neurosurgery

Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	  	 
Nuclear Medicine

Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	  	 
Obstetrics and Gynecology

Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	  	 
Ophthalmology

Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	  	 
Orthopedics

Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	  	 
Pathology

Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	  	 
Pediatric Cardiology

 	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism

 	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Pediatric Gastroenterology

 	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology

 	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Pediatric Infectious Diseases

 	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Pediatric Nephrology

 	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Pediatric Surgery

 	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Pediatrics

Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	  	 
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R)

Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	  	 
Plastic Surgery

 	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Psychiatry

Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	  	 
Pulmonary Medicine

Radiology

 	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Radiotherapy

Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	  	 
Rheumatology

 	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 
Spinal Surgery

Surgery (General Surgery)

Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	  	 
Urology

Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	  	 
Vascular Surgery

 	 Program Level Exists at SUMS	  	 

 

Campus Facilities

To build a more active community, SUMS delivers a wide range of
purposeful and conducive facilities available to its community members.
The following educational, research, recreation, and welfare facilities
are provided by the School of Medicine:

Educational Facilities:

*	Four classrooms with a capacity of 10 to 15 and equipped with
audiovisual facilities including the computer system and LED
*	 Four classrooms with a capacity of 15 to 50 people and
equipped with data projector and a computer system
*	Seven halls with a capacity of 150 to 250 people and equipped
with data projectors, computer systems, audio systems, and LED
*	Six classrooms with a capacity of 25 people
*	Six classrooms with a capacity of 26-50 people
*	2 classrooms with a capacity of 51 to 100 people
*	An Animal House
*	An Anatomy Hall
*	 A Practical Room
*	Three exam halls equipped with CCTV
*	A 450 Square meter study hall with 200 seats for male students
equipped with single, double and quadruple study tables
*	 A 450 Square meter study hall with 200 seats for female
students equipped with single, double and quadruple study tables
*	Computer pool  with a capacity of 32 PCs arranged separately
for male and female students.
*	A group-study hall for the students
*	Two computer workshops, one with a capacity of 35 PCs (All in
one); and the other,22 PCs
*	 Library resources including approximately 11,000 books and
11400 theses, 90% of which are in English and original copies
*	 In addition to journals that can be printed or retrieved from
databases, it is possible to order an article electronically and
receive it via email.
*	 Book return box (shuttle) installed at the entrance of the
library circulation desk 
*	 Equipment available for web conferencing
*	Equipment for video conferencing
*	 An acoustic room
*	 A virtual dissection table (being purchased)

Recreation and Welfare Facilities

*	A 255 sq. m coffee shop
*	A 255-square meter self-service hall for females
*	A 200-square meter self-service hall for males
*	A 863-square meter multifunctional indoor gym with fitness and
shooting hall
*	A supermarket with an area of ​​65 square meters
*	A prayer hall

Contact Details

Dean: Javad Kojuri

Email: [email-masked]

Address: School of Medicine, Imam Hossein square, Zand St., Shiraz, Iran

Zip Code: 14336 - 71348

Tel.: (+98 71) 32 30 54 10