Subject: School of Dentistry
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18848      Publish Date : Wednesday, April 6, 2022 Visit : 20465 

School of Dentistry 

School of Dentistry 

School of Dentistry

Dentistry at SUMS

The School of Dentistry at Shiraz University of Medical Sciences was
established in 1969 and settled in Shahid Faghihi Hospital with Dr.
Bahram Javid as the dean and six Iranian and a number of other foreign
faculty members. The first group of students, comprised of 18 persons,
were admitted to the school in 1970. In time and according to the
extension of educational activities, the location of the school was
first changed to Powstchi Ophthalmological Clinic and then to the
ex-Iran-air building in front of Saadi (Shahid Faghihi) hospital. In
1976, all educational and clinical activities of the school were
centered in the affiliated dental clinic building of the school located
on the West corner of Sooratgar Street crossing Zand Boulevard. This
building had thirty-five dental units. In 1985, due to the extension
and development of activities, the school was transferred to its new
building on Ghasrodasht Street. Educational and clinical activity of
this building started to work with seventy dental units and gradually
the number of dental units was increased to one hundred and twenty up
to the year 2003.

In the meantime, from 1985 to 2003, regarding the sufficient number of
faculty members, and the available facilities and resources graduate
programs in endodontics, operative dentistry, and other dental fields
have started in line with training undergraduate dental students in the
General Dentistry Program. In 2004, the unremitting effort of the dean
and other authorities to extend activities resulted in the
establishment of new departments and the extension of previous clinics.
Thereby, the physical space of 7500 square meters of the school was
increased to nearly 19700 square meters and all educational-treatment
departments of general and D.M.D., residency and specialty dentistry
programs were relocated to independent clinics.

Currently, SUMS School of Dentistry is a place for leading scientists,
professionals, and students who want to be involved in world-class
research or achieve undergraduate or graduate degrees through our
popular research or taught programs. Approximately 103 faculty members
are now actively involved in 12 departments of SUMS School of Dentistry.

Programs

SUMS School of Dentistry is committed to offering students a dynamic
and comprehensive academic environment. We are dedicated to being a
provider of top-notch clinical care and believe that a professional
life includes serving those in need. SUMS School of Dentistry offers a
comprehensive range of programs in the following fields: 

 School of Dentistry Departments

 Dental Implantology

 Dental Public Health

 Endodontics

 Operative Dentistry

 Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology

 Oral & Maxillofacial Radiology

 Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery

 Periodontics

 Prosthodontics

 Oral Medicine

 Orthodontics 

 Pediatric Dentistry 

 
 
Course	 D.M.D.	 Ph.D.	 Specialty	 
Doctor of Dental Medicine (D.M.D.)	 	  	  	 
Dental Public Health (DPH)	  	 	  	 
Endodontics	  	  	 	 
Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology	  	  	 	 
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery	  	  	 	 
Oral Maxillofacial Pathology	  	  	 	 
Oral Medicine	  	  	 	 
Orthodontics	  	  	 	 
Pediatric Dentistry	  	  	 	 
Periodontics	  	  	 	 
Prosthodontics	  	  	 	 
Operative Dentistry	  	  	 	 

 

 

Campus Facilities

SUMS delivers a wide range of facilities to satisfy the needs of its
community for study, teaching, research, leisure, fitness, etc. These
facilities are distributed around different campuses so our community
can easily access them. To this end, the School of Medicine
encompasses: 

Educational Facilities

*	Orthodontics Research Center
*	Biomaterials Research Center
*	Oral and Dental Diseases Research Center
*	9 laboratories
*	Pathology laboratory
*	3 Phantom head laboratories
*	Biomaterial Laboratory
*	Specialty Orthodontic Laboratory
*	General Orthodontic Laboratory
*	2 Prosthodontic Laboratories

*	A Library
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18804/School-of-Dentistry-Library> 
*	A study room (reading room)
*	An amphitheater
*	A pre-clinic hall
*	A CBCT machine available at the Department of Oral &
Maxillofacial Radiology
*	13 Clinics
*	1 Practical classroom at the Department of Dental Public Health
and Community Dentistry

Recreation and Welfare Facilities

*	  A computing site  
*	  Audio-Visual rooms
*	  A Library
*	  A study hall
*	  A copy room
*	  A bank
*	  Sports grounds
*	  A Sports hall
*	  A buffet
*	  A canteen
*	  A Prayer room

Contact Details

Dean:  Dr. Fatemeh Lavaee Mashhadi

Email: [email-masked]

Address: School of Dentistry, Ghasrodasht St., Mehr Ave., Shiraz, Iran

Zip Code: 71956 - 15878

Tel.: (+98 71) 36 26 31 93 - 94 

Fax:  (+98 71) 36 27 03 25    

Hospital-Affiliated Clini