Subject: Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.B.S.)
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18856      Publish Date : Friday, August 7, 2015 Visit : 2235 

Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.B.S.) 

Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) Program General Information 
This is general information of SUMS Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) Program 

SUMS “Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery” (MBBS) Program

 

 

Program Background Description:

The MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery) is the primary
professional university degree in medicine awarded after a 5.5-year
undergraduate course. MBBS (as the British equivalent of the American
M.D.) is practiced in countries that pursue the British educational
platform such as Malaysia, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Australia,
Singapore, South Africa, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and India.

What distinguishes MD from MBBS is the duration of Clinical Phase. MD
students are required to pass a 3.5-year Clinical Phase (covering
Studentship, Externship and Internship Stages) while MBBS students
graduate after passing a 2-year Clinical Phase.

Program Course and Duration:

As an undergraduate program, the MBBS program at SUMS consists of
Pre-clinical and Clinical phases. Upon the successful completion of the
program the title “Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)” is
granted to the professionals who succeed in the program, being referred
to by the courtesy title of “Doctor” and the prefix “Dr”.

*	Phase 1 (2.5 years): The phase serves as a foundation of basic
and general medical sciences, preparing the students for the upcoming
Phases by the theoretical and practical courses.
*	Phase 2 (1 year): The second phase offers the fundamentals of
clinical medicine and provides and in-depth preparations for the
Clinical clerkship.
*	Phase 3 (2 years): This is the phase in which students step
into clinics to participate in Clinical Clerkship procedures.

 

Resources for MBBS Curriculum, Regulations, and Bylaws

*	For further details on the MBBS curriculum and course
description click here.
*	For further details on the MBBS curriculum and course
description issued by Ministry of Health click here.
*	To view the Lessons Plans of the Basic Sciences phase click
here <https://medicine.sums.ac.ir/Course-plan-of-basic-science-courses>
.
*	For a brief version of the MBBS Academic Rules and Regulations,
click here.
*	To view the MBBS Bylaw issued by Ministry of Health , click
here.
*	As the MBBS and M.D. programs share the same academic rules and
regulations, you can find the complete rules here. Please note that the
duration of study for the MBBS program is 5.5 years, and passing the
MBBS Exit Exam is necessary for graduation. (The book of MBBS Academic
Rules and Regulations will be uploaded soon.)
*	To download the summary of the 13 chapters of the Bylaw for the
Comprehensive Student Evaluation System at Shiraz University of Medical
Sciences click here.
*	To view a list of SUMS faculty members, click here.

Medium of Instruction

During Phase 1, the students are completely instructed in English.
However, the significance of communicating with local patients (in
Persian) for clinical practices, urges the students to gain enough
Persian language proficiency before stepping into the Clinical Phase.

Requirements: 

*	Documents: 

	*	A Secondary School Diploma or an Equivalent Certificate
	*	A Satisfactory Academic Record: Applicants must obtain
a record of transcripts from the institution they have attended. There
is no minimum required GPA to secure admission to an undergraduate
program. However, competitive applicants have the GPA of 3.00 or above.
	*	Curriculum Vitae: This includes the applicant’s
personal information as well as their educational background and work
experience.
	*	Cover Letter: This letter demonstrates which program
the applicant is deciding to apply for.
	*	Passport: A scanned copy of the applicant’s passport
(With 6 months remaining until the expiration date) in a proper quality
(PDF, JPEG, PNG)
	*	Passport-sized Photo
	*	Language Requirements: Evidence of English proficiency
on the TOEFL or IELTS. The minimum score for TOEFL PBT, TOEFL iBT and
IELTS is 525, 69 and 5.5 respectively.

*	Skills 

	*	Continuous mental alertness
	*	Sufficient patience
	*	Striving for up-to-date skills and knowledge
	*	Team-working skills
	*	Sufficient stamina
	*	Responsible character

Fees

For detailed information on the “tuitions, fees, and expenses” click
here <http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18853/Tuition--Fees-and-Expenses> .

Application Deadline

July 01, 2025

For more detailed information please check the links below:

Tuition Fees and Expenses
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18853/Tuition--Fees-and-Expenses> 

Financial Aid and Scholarships
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18854/Financial-Aid-and-Scholarships> 

Requirements <http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18326/Undergraduate>