Subject: Hamidreza Foroutan, MD
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18923      Publish Date : Monday, July 6, 2020 Visit : 742 

Hamidreza Foroutan, MD 

Hamidreza Foroutan, MD 
	 Hamidreza Foroutan, MD

Professor of Pediatric Surgery

Department of Surgery, School of Medicine

Head of Laparoscopy Research Center

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences

Email: [email-masked], [email-masked]

 

 

 

 

 

 

Biography

Hamidreza Foroutan graduated with an MD from Shiraz University of
Medical Sciences, where he also completed his training in General
Surgery and Pediatric Surgery. For the past 32 years, he has served as
a Professor of Pediatric Surgery at SUMS, dedicating his career to the
care of children, surgical innovation, and medical education. For over
15 years, he has led SUMS Laparoscopy Research Center and the
University’s Fetal Surgery Team. His work has focused on advancing
minimally invasive techniques and pioneering fetal interventions,
significantly improving outcomes for the community’s youngest patients.

Throughout his career, Prof. Foroutan has gained extensive experience
in pediatric surgery, pediatric urology, and fetal intervention,
training and collaborating at some of the world’s most prestigious
medical centers, including the University of Cape Town, Memorial Sloan
Kettering Cancer Center in New York, Toronto’s Hospital for Sick
Children, Texas Children’s Hospital, the University of Miami, and
Boston Children’s Hospital at Harvard University. These international
experiences have enriched his practice and allowed him to bring the
latest surgical advancements back to his home institution.

Prof. Foroutan is passionate about academic medicine and has published
more than 60 peer-reviewed papers in the field of pediatric surgery. He
has been actively involved in training and mentoring medical students,
general surgery residents, and pediatric surgery fellows, helping to
shape the next generation of surgeons. His unwavering commitment to
excellence in patient care, research, and education continues to drive
his work every day. 

Significant International Collaborations

Total number of publications: 60

Number of joint publications: 8

      Boston Children Hospital, Harvard University:

Qaderi, W.T. Northam, S. Duru, G Bonnani, A. Javinani, N. Zargarzadeh,
J.L.Peiro, E. Krispin, R. Didier, M.K.Farber, S.Seifert, D.B Orbach, L.
Vasung, R.H Chmait, S. James, C.Duffy, S.A. Shainker, H.Foroutan, H.
Guseh, F.A. Chervenak, B.C. Warf, Y. Ville, A.A. Shamshirzas.
Current challenges in intrauterine management of obstructive fetal
hydrocephalus and future directions Ultrasound Obstetric and Gynecology
2025

Miami University:

Hooman Kamran, Daniel Tennenbaum, Luciana Lerendegui, Aghileh Shamsaee,
Farbod Mofidi, Mehdi Manouchehri, Neda Haghighat, Hamidreza Foroutan,
Alireza Alam
HOW BLADDER EXSTROPHY AFFECTS MOTHERS' QUALITY OF LIFE, RESILIENCE, AND
MENTAL HEALTH: A COMPARISON OF SINGLE-CHILD AND MULTIPLE-CHILD FAMILIES
, Journal of Urology, May 2025

      Cologne University:

Harry Zemon, Thomas Boemers, Hamid Reza Foroutan
An experimental study in six fresh human cadavers using a novel
approach to avoid abdominal wall incisions in total colectomy: totally
transanal laparoendoscopic single-site pull-through colectomy with
J-pouch creation. Surg Endosc. 2016 Jul;30(7):3107-13. doi:
10.1007/s00464-015-4555-5. Epub 2015 Oct 20.

M Reza Vahdad, Grigore Cernaianu, Alexander Semaan, Tobias Klein,
Samuel Faran, Mohammad Reza Vahdad, Matthias Nissen, Alexander Semaan,
Tobias Klein, Emanuel Palade, Thomas Boemers, Hamid Reza Foroutan,
Ralf-Bodo Troebs, Grigore Cernaianu 
Experiences with LESS-appendectomy in Children. Arch Iran Med. 2016
Jan;19(1):57-63.

Mohammad Reza Vahdad, Ehsan Rahmanian, Sam Moslemi, Sultan Mohsen
Najafi, Hamid Reza Foroutan.
Totally Transanal Laparo-Endoscopic Single-Site
ProctoColectomy-Ileoanal J-Pouch (TLPCJ): An Experimental Study of a
Novel Approach. Iran J Med Sci September 2015; Vol 40 No 5

Vahdad MR, Foroutan A, Najafi SM, Cernaianu G, Tröbs RB, Banani SA,
Foroutan HR.
Totally transanal LESS pull-through colectomy: a novel approach for
avoiding abdominal wall incision in children with long segment
intestinal aganglionosis. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2013
Mar;23(3):276-80. doi: 10.1089/lap.2012.0058. Epub 2013 Feb 12.

     Cape Town University:

Van As, A.B., Foroutan, H.R., Lotz, Z., (...), Millar, A.J.W., Kahn, D.
Ischaemic preconditioning of the liver before transplantation. South
African Journal of Surgery 2007. 45(4), pp. 122-126

      Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York:

Dave R Lal, Hamid R Foroutan, Wendy T Su, Suzanne L Wolden, Farid
Boulad, Michael P La Quaglia.
The management of treatment-related esophageal complications in
children and adolescents with cancer. J

International Association Memberships:

*	British Association of Pediatric Surgeons
*	Asian Association of Pediatric Surgeons
*	 Pacific Association of Pediatric Surgeons

International Research Projects and Grants

Year

Project title

Funding

2024-2025

Boston Children Hospital, Harvard University

Qaderi, W.T. Northam, S. Duru, G Bonnani, A. Javinani, N.

Zargarzadeh, J.L.Peiro, E. Krispin, R. Didier, M.K.Farber,

S.Seifert, D.B Orbach, L. Vasung, R.H Chmait, S. James,

C.Duffy, S.A. Shainker, H.Foroutan, H. Guseh, F.A. Chervenak,

B.C. Warf, Y. Ville, A.A. Shamshirzas. , Current challenges in

intrauterine management of obstructive fetal hydrocephalus

and future directions Ultrasound Obstetrics and Gynecology 

2025

Co Author

NIH