Subject: SUMS and UPenn Hold Joint International Panel Discussion on “Coronavirus Crisis: A Conversation between Iranian and American Experts” August 13, 2020
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18322-113      Publish Date : Monday, August 17, 2020 Visit :
3204 

NEWS | SUMS and UPenn Hold Joint International Panel Discussion on
“Coronavirus Crisis: A Conversation betw... 

SUMS and UPenn Hold Joint International Panel Discussion on “Coronavirus
Crisis: A Conversation between Iranian and American Experts” August 13,
2020 
SUMS and UPenn Hold Joint International Panel Discussion on “Coronavirus
Crisis: A Conversation between Iranian and American Experts” August 13,
2020 

SUMS and UPenn Hold Joint International Panel Discussion on “Coronavirus
Crisis: A Conversation between Iranian and American Experts” August 13,
2020 

A Conversation between Iranian and American Experts

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS) organized and successfully
held a joint international panel discussion on “Coronavirus Crisis: A
Conversation between Iranian and American Experts” in cooperation with
the Middle East Center of the University of Pennsylvania (UPenn),
United States on August 13, 2020. This event hosted prominent scholars
from SUMS, UPenn, the University of Oxford, Shahid Beheshti University
of Medical Sciences, and approximately 300 virtual participants.

The panel started with the welcome speech and introduction to the
panelists stated by Dr. John Ghazvinian, the Interim Director of Upenn
Middle East Center. Afterwards, Dr. Jonathan Moreno, UPenn professor of
Medical Ethics and Health Policy, of History and Social Science, and of
Philosophy moderated the panel asking each speaker to make a short
speech on the subject and then forwarded participants’ questions to
each speaker based on the nature of the question and the speaker’s
expertise. The panelists, Dr. Susan Weiss, UPenn professor of
Microbiology and the Director of Penn Center for Research on
Coronaviruses and other Emerging Pathogens, Ms. Vira Ameli, Doctor of
Philosophy Student at the Department of Social Policy and Intervention
of the University of Oxford, Dr. Kamran Bagheri Lankarani, SUMS
professor of Internal Medicine and the former Iranian Minister of
Health and Medical Education, Dr. Mohsen Moghadami, SUMS professor of
Infectious Diseases, and Dr. Hamid Soori, professor of Epidemiology
from Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences took turns to
answer the participants’ questions.

Finally, Dr. Moreno concluded the discussion by stating “the lively
atmosphere of the panel and the excellent questions asked by the
participants indicate that germane conversations about current
happenings in the field should continue”.

To download the poster of the event, click here.