Subject: Dr. Malek Hosseini, SUMS Faculty Member and Surgeon, Receives a Recognition Award-28th International Congress of The Transplantation Society (TTS 2020)
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18322-121      Publish Date : Sunday, September 20, 2020 Visit :
5422 

NEWS | Dr. Malek Hosseini, SUMS Faculty Member and Surgeon, Receives a
Recognition Award-28th Internationa... 

Dr. Malek Hosseini, SUMS Faculty Member and Surgeon, Receives a
Recognition Award-28th International Congress of The Transplantation
Society (TTS 2020) 
Dr. Malek Hosseini, SUMS Faculty Member and Surgeon, Receives a
Recognition Award-28th International Congress of The Transplantation
Society (TTS 2020) 

Dr. Malek Hosseini, SUMS Faculty Member and Surgeon, Receives a
Recognition Award-28th  International Congress of The Transplantation
Society (TTS 2020)

Dr. Malek Hosseini

The Transplantation Society biennially honors the individuals who have
made a remarkable contribution to the advancement of organ
transplantation in four categories including Outstanding Achievement
Transplantation Science (Basic), Outstanding Achievement in
Transplantation Science (Clinical), Outstanding Achievement in
Transplantation Science (Developing Country), and Mentorship or
Education and Training in Transplantation. This year, 2020, Dr. Seyed
Ali Malek-Hosseini from Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS)
was recognized for his exceptional commitment to promoting organ
transplantation and his outstanding achievement in Transplantation
Science (Developing Country).

Dr. Malek-Hosseini is the pioneer of performing liver transplantation
from living donors in Iran and is called the father of liver
transplantation in the Country. Establishing necessary infrastructure
to create a network in the region for the procurement of organs from
brain-dead donors and therefore, to put an end to organ trade in Iran
has always been among his major concerns. Pursuing this objective, he
successfully paved the path for organ transplantation experts and has
developed transplant programs in Iran. Owing to his constant endeavors
the largest organ transplantation center in the world which is also the
largest charity foundation in the region was built in Shiraz.
Performing 638 liver transplantations (93% from deceased donors) in
2017, the center set a new international record. The center also trains
transplant surgeons from around the world, mainly those who are
accepted via the Middle East Society of Organ Transplantation (MESOT)
programs.  The Center has a significant impact on the advancement of
transplant knowledge resulting in the establishment of 12 transplant
centers in Iran and other countries as well as the publication of
hundreds of articles in international peer-reviewed journals.