Subject: SUMS Professor, Dr. Ali Akbar Asadi-Pooya, Is Announced as Distinguished Researcher
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18322-127      Publish Date : Saturday, January 2, 2021 Visit :
5383 

NEWS | SUMS Professor, Dr. Ali Akbar Asadi-Pooya, Is Announced as
Distinguished Researcher 

SUMS Professor, Dr. Ali Akbar Asadi-Pooya, Is Announced as
Distinguished Researcher 
SUMS Professor, Dr. Ali Akbar Asadi-Pooya, Is Announced as
Distinguished Researcher 

SUMS Professor, Dr. Ali Akbar Asadi-Pooya, Announced as Distinguished
Researcher

 

Dr. Ali Akbar Asadi-pooya, Professor of the Department of Neurology,
Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS) and Adjunct Research
Associate Professor of Neurology at Thomas Jefferson University, USA,
was selected as the Country’s distinguished researcher in the 21st
Festival of celebrating the Iranian’s distinguished researchers and
technologists.

According to SUMS Public Relations, Dr. Ali Akbar Asadi-pooya, fellow
graduate in Clinical Neurophysiology and Epilepsy from Thomas Jefferson
University, USA, the top-rated person in seizures in Asia, with
achievements as follows; publishing 213 international articles
(Scopus), 11 books, and 210 articles in PubMed, as well as developing a
tool for antiseizure medications, EpiPick, and an AI-based Seizures
detection software, was announced as one of the Country’s distinguished
researchers in the 21st festival honoring Iranian exemplary researchers
and technologists.

Speaking at the ceremony, Dr. Jahangiri, the First Vice President,
emphasized the substantial role the universities play in assisting the
Country to achieve significant and sustainable developments. Through
the endeavors of professors, researchers, and scholars, solutions can
be found to various problems of the Country, he added.

Putting an emphasis on the need to develop a culture of research in
society, Dr. Jahangiri, stated: Research is not an ornamental and
theatrical subject but a necessity for scientific and technological
development of the Country; therefore, researchers and scholars are
highly valued.

Mohsen Sharifi, Director General of the Research Planning and
Policy-making Office at the Ministry of Science, Research and
Technology, also presented a report on the process of holding the
festival: “This year in accordance with the approved regulations of the
festival, the registration of top researchers and technologists began
in September. All scientific and research centers of the Country were
asked to send a list of their distinguished researchers, chosen based
on the required indicators and provided guidelines, to the festival
secretariat located in the Ministry of Science.

The festival secretariat received a total of 301 files. The submitted
files included 223 researchers and 78 technologists, all of whom were
reviewed by 80 top judges and experts, and finally 17 researchers and
16 technologists were selected, as Dr. Sharifi remarked.

He also mentioned that 15 people were chosen from those who had made a
major contribution to the research and technology development in Iran.
Six supporters of research and technology projects who cooperated well
with Iran’s universities and research centers were also appreciated.

After announcing top 10 journals of the year on research and technology
in different areas of knowledge and disciplines, he indicated this
year’s criteria for selecting top researchers and technologists.
According to Dr. Sharifi, quality scientific publications and their
citation in domestic and international indexes, resembling significant
contribution to solve the problems of the society, conducting
demand-based research, and the amount of sold products were among this
year’s selection criteria.

“Due to Covid-19 restrictions, 5 selected people in the field of
Research and Technology were appreciated in person and certificates of
appreciation will go to the other chosen ones”, Public Relations of the
Ministry of Science, Research and Technology reported.