Subject: SUMS Medical and Dental Schools Host One-Day ‘Problem-Based Learning’ Workshops
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18322-164      Publish Date : Tuesday, June 21, 2022 Visit :
1983 

NEWS | SUMS Medical and Dental Schools Host One-Day ‘Problem-Based
Learning’ Workshops 

SUMS Medical and Dental Schools Host One-Day ‘Problem-Based Learning’
Workshops 
SUMS Medical and Dental Schools Host One-Day ‘Problem-Based Learning’
Workshops 

SUMS Medical and Dental Schools Host One-Day ‘Problem-Based Learning’
Workshops

 

More than 70 faculty members and students of Shiraz University of
Medical Sciences (SUMS) attended two one-day workshops on Problem-Based
Learning (PBL). The events were hosted by SUMS Schools of Dentistry and
Medicine in partnership with the University’s Office of Vice-Chancellor
for Global Strategies and International Affairs.

Led by Dr. Hossain Motieian Najar, distinguished clinical professor at
the University of British Columbia in Canada, these 4-hour workshops
were designed to acquaint the audience with the ins and outs of PBL in
medical education. In his introductory remarks, Dr. Motieian enumerated
the advantages of PBL compared to traditional lecture-based learning,
and highlighted its role in developing student skills such as
communication, teamwork and student-centered self-directed learning.
Then, he went into detail on the different stages of a typical
three-session PBL case.

Following a short break, a PBL case was presented in a practical
session under Dr. Motieian’s mentorship. The participating students
went through all the aforementioned three sessions of PBL to provide
the observing faculty members with a hands-on experience of this
student-centered approach. Towards the end of the events, Dr. Moteian
provided an overview of the presented case, and then the floor was
opened for questions and comments from the audience.