Subject: First Successful Haploidentical Stem Cell Transplant by SUMS Team
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18322-177      Publish Date : Tuesday, October 18, 2022 Visit :
2023 

NEWS | First Successful Haploidentical Stem Cell Transplant by SUMS
Team 

First Successful Haploidentical Stem Cell Transplant by SUMS Team 
First Successful Haploidentical Stem Cell Transplant by SUMS Team 

First Successful Haploidentical Stem Cell Transplant by SUMS Team

 

SUMS Team at the Allogeneic Transplant Department of Amir Oncology
Hospital
<http://www.gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18725/Amir-Oncology-Hospital>  has
performed two successful stem cell transplants grafting cells from
half-match donors for the first time in Shiraz.

Dr. Hadi MottaghiPisheh, SUMS assistant professor of pediatric
hematology-Oncology, stated that haploidentical stem cell transplant is
one of the most complicated and demanding stem cell transplants that is
carried out in few healthcare facilities around Iran. This type of
transplantation is done to treat patients for whom no full-match donor
can be found. The probability of death among these patients is
approximately 100 percent if no surgical intervention is performed.

Despite the particularity of this surgery, two patients, who were 14
and one and a half years old, underwent the haploidentical stem cell
transplant conducted by the team of stem cell transplant at Amir
Hospital.