Subject: Successful Thoracic Aortic Repair Conducted at Nemazee Hospital
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18322-185      Publish Date : Monday, January 23, 2023 Visit :
1769 

NEWS | Successful Thoracic Aortic Repair Conducted at Nemazee Hospital 

Successful Thoracic Aortic Repair Conducted at Nemazee Hospital 
Successful Thoracic Aortic Repair Conducted at Nemazee Hospital 
 
Successful Thoracic Aortic Repair Conducted at Nemazee Hospital
 
Thoracic Aortic Repair
 
A team of SUMS surgeons and experts from Nemazee Teaching Hospital and
Shahid Rajaee Trauma Hospital conducted a rare surgery to repair a
27-year-old patient’s thoracic aorta artery. The team included Dr.
Hamed Ghoddusi Johari, SUMS subspecialist in vascular surgery, Dr.
Dehghanpishe, SUMS subspecialist in cardiac anesthesiology, and Dr.
Masjedi, SUMS subspecialist in critical care medicine along with SUMS
teams of neurosurgery, thoracic surgery, trauma surgery, cardiovascular
surgery, general internal surgery, and perfusionists. 
 
Dr. Ghoddusi stated that the case survived a fatal accident; however,
when admitted to Nemazee Hospital, his vital signs were not stable. He
was suffering from a head injury, lung contusion and rupture, and
complete aortic dissection causing active bleeding in the thorax.
Therefore, a cannula was immediately placed in the patient’s femoral
vein, and he was put on cardiopulmonary bypass. He then went on a
5-hour surgery. Despite the procedure was highly demanding and
complicated, SUMS team successfully carried it out, Dr. Ghoddusi
explained.  
 
According to Dr. Ghoddusi, damage to the thoracic aorta artery or its
rupture is the second cause of death in car accidents and falling from
a height. In these accidents, the victims with such damages are in
unstable conditions and they mostly die on the spot, he added. 
 
He mentioned that on-time diagnosis and treatment of these injuries is
the only way to save the victims’ lives. In addition, he said that
considering the patient’s condition, the physician shall choose among
the two possible techniques, endovascular and open procedures, to treat
the injury at the most proper time.