Subject: Surgical Separation of Conjoined Twins Completed at SUMS Namazi Hospital
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18322-214      Publish Date : Saturday, June 22, 2024 Visit :
1746 

NEWS | Surgical Separation of Conjoined Twins Completed at SUMS Namazi
Hospital 

Surgical Separation of Conjoined Twins Completed at SUMS Namazi
Hospital 
Surgical Separation of Conjoined Twins Completed at SUMS Namazi
Hospital 

Surgical Separation of Conjoined Twins Completed at SUMS Namazi Hospital

Surgical Separation of Conjoined Twins Completed at SUMS Namazi Hospital

Seven months following the initial phase of a separation surgery on a
set of conjoined twins, the conclusive stage was successfully executed
at SUMS Namazi Hospital. The initial surgery involved the separation of
livers, while the final procedure focused on separating other connected
organs, ultimately resulting in the successful separation of the twin
sisters' bodies.

Dr. Ali Bahador, leading the surgical team, pointed that the sisters
were admitted to the hospital at three months old. He highlighted a
major abdominal junction with conjoined liver, pancreas, duodenum and
small intestine. The sisters’ young age and the degree of fusion made
it too early for a comprehensive surgery. Upon careful assessment of
the fused organs, it was determined that the operation will be
conducted in two stages.

Spanning ten hours, the second stage was attended by a team of
specialized pediatric surgeons, PICU specialists, anesthesiologists,
and other medical professionals and nurses. Dr. Mehdi Forooghi, a
pediatric surgeon and team member, shared that one of the twins
underwent Whipple surgery to facilitate the separation process. He
emphasized the ongoing monitoring of post-surgical treatments in light
of the necessity of reconstructing one baby's abdominal wall.

Conjoined twinning occurs in one in 50,000-100,000 births, and is
believed to result from incomplete splitting of a fertilized egg into
two separate embryos. Dr. Bahador stressed the complexity of the recent
surgery, labeling it as the most intricate procedure of its kind in
Iran. “With three cases of success, Shiraz stands out as the leading
city in the country to perform this complex surgery” he added. In
conclusion, he commended the unwavering dedication of the surgical team
and expressed optimism that both sisters would be discharged shortly.