Subject: EACTS Recognizes SUMS Professor for Innovative Heart Valve Surgery
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18322-222      Publish Date : Sunday, November 10, 2024 Visit :
1221 

NEWS | EACTS Recognizes SUMS Professor for Innovative Heart Valve
Surgery 

EACTS Recognizes SUMS Professor for Innovative Heart Valve Surgery 
EACTS Recognizes SUMS Professor for Innovative Heart Valve Surgery 

EACTS Recognizes SUMS Professor for Innovative Heart Valve Surgery

 

Professor Ahmad Ali Amirghofran, a distinguished faculty member at
Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS), has been honored with the
2024 Techno-College Innovation Award from the European Association for
Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS). This prestigious award recognizes his
groundbreaking work in developing a new method for constructing heart
valves during open-heart surgery.

Professor Amirghofran and his team have dedicated years to pioneering
innovative techniques in cardiac surgery. One notable achievement is
the development of a pulmonary valve that has been successfully
implanted in over 200 patients. Additionally, the team's groundbreaking
construction of a tricuspid valve last year was hailed as the best
invention and innovative technique in cardiac surgery.

The latest breakthrough involves the design and manufacture of
pre-prepared stents, which are implanted with the patient's own tissue
during surgery. This innovative approach enables the creation of a
fully functional heart valve from the patient's biological material.
"By utilizing the patient's own tissue, we aim to enhance the valve's
longevity and performance," explained Professor Amirghofran.

This revolutionary surgical technique, from conception to
implementation, was entirely developed in Shiraz. Traditional heart
valve replacements often rely on mechanical valves requiring lifelong
anticoagulant therapy or biological valves derived from animal tissue,
which may not last long due to potential incompatibility. Professor
Amirghofran expressed optimism that this new technique will address
these limitations and offer a more durable and patient-friendly
solution.