Subject: Expanding Global Health Partnerships
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18322-234      Publish Date : Wednesday, November 26, 2025 Visit
: 398 

NEWS | Expanding Global Health Partnerships 

Expanding Global Health Partnerships 
SUMS Chancellor Strengthens Health Diplomacy and Academic Cooperation
on the Sidelines of Malaysian Congress 

Expanding Global Health Partnerships
SUMS Chancellor Strengthens Health Diplomacy and Academic Cooperation
on the Sidelines of Malaysian Congress

SUMS Chancellor Strengthens Health Diplomacy and Academic Cooperation
on the Sidelines of Malaysian Congress

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia — Professor Seyed Basir Hashemi, Chancellor of
Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS), participated in the
ongoing Asia–Pacific Cochlear Implant Congress in Kuala Lumpur,
pursuing initiatives to advance health diplomacy and promote scientific
collaboration.

During his visit to the Malaysian capital, Professor Hashemi held
meetings with health sector officials and toured major medical centers
to explore avenues for academic and healthcare partnerships between
Iran and Malaysia.

On Friday, November 15, 2025, at the invitation of Malaysian health
authorities, he visited the Pusat Perubatan Universiti Malaya
(University of Malaya Medical Center). The host officials presented an
overview of the institution’s organizational structure, educational
programs, and clinical capacities, emphasizing strong potential for
collaboration with SUMS.

Professor Hashemi highlighted SUMS’ achievements across education,
research, healthcare services, and medical innovation, identifying key
areas for joint initiatives such as academic exchanges, collaborative
research projects, faculty and student mobility, and the expansion of
medical tourism.

This visit reflected SUMS’ growing role in international academic
diplomacy and its ongoing efforts to connect Iranian medical education
and healthcare systems with global partners in the Asia–Pacific region.

Earlier the same day, Professor Hashemi also met with officials at the
Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran in Malaysia. The discussions
addressed strategies to facilitate the growth of health tourism,
promote academic exchange, establish joint educational pathways, and
strengthen inter-university ties between the two nations.