Subject: Milestone Achieved in Pediatric Gastroenterology Using a Minimally Invasive Procedure
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18322-238      Publish Date : Saturday, June 27, 2026 Visit :
306 

NEWS | Milestone Achieved in Pediatric Gastroenterology Using a
Minimally Invasive Procedure 

Milestone Achieved in Pediatric Gastroenterology Using a Minimally
Invasive Procedure 
First Pediatric POEM for Diverticulum in Iran Milestone Achieved in
Pediatric Gastroenterology Using a Minimally Invasive Procedure 

First Pediatric POEM for Diverticulum in Iran

 Milestone Achieved in Pediatric Gastroenterology Using a Minimally
Invasive Procedure

 Milestone Achieved in Pediatric Gastroenterology Using a Minimally
Invasive Procedure

A therapeutic endoscopy team at SUMS Namazi Hospital has successfully
performed Iran’s first advanced endoscopic treatment for a pediatric
esophageal junction diverticulum using the Peroral Endoscopic Myotomy
(POEM) technique. Hospital Director Dr. Mohammad Rahmanian announced
the breakthrough in pediatric gastroenterology, highlighting that the
procedure effectively resolves complex esophageal complications while
sparing the patient from traditional open surgery.

The successful procedure was the result of a coordinated
multi-disciplinary effort. Led by pediatric gastroenterologist Dr. Iraj
Shahramian, the intervention included a dedicated endoscopy team
consisting of Hamid Razmkhah, Zahra Foroughmehr, Farkhondeh Abbasi, and
Mahboubeh Rahmani. Essential support was provided by the anesthesia
team, headed by Dr. Esmail Abolfathi with the assistance of Fatemeh
Rostamsolat, whose expertise was critical to the operation’s success.

Dr. Shahramian explained that esophageal junction diverticula are
complications of prior esophageal surgeries that can cause swallowing
difficulties, food impaction, and regurgitation, often necessitating
repeat operations. With POEM, physicians endoscopically incise the
shared wall between the esophagus and diverticulum from within the
tract. This internal approach significantly reduces postoperative pain,
shortens hospital stays, and accelerates recovery for young patients.