Subject: The Physicians of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS) Have Achieved the World’s Modern Technology: The First Artificial Retina Implantation Surgery in Iran
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18322-32      Publish Date : Sunday, November 26, 2017 Visit :
7350 

NEWS | The Physicians of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS)
Have Achieved the World’s Modern Tech... 

The Physicians of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS) Have
Achieved the World’s Modern Technology: The First Artificial Retina
Implantation Surgery in Iran 
The Physicians of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS) Have
Achieved the World’s Modern Technology: The First Artificial Retina
Implantation Surgery in Iran 

The Physicians of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS) Have
Achieved the World’s Modern Technology: The First Artificial Retina
Implantation Surgery in Iran

SUMS Artificial Retina Transplant

For the first time in Iran, the physicians of Shiraz University of
Medical Sciences (SUMS) have successfully performed artificial retina
implantation on two Iranian Women.

The surgery was performed by the Ophthalmology Team of SUMS, under the
supervision of Dr. Mohsen Farvardin and in collaboration with Dr.
Faisal Rahat, Dr. Adel Attarzadeh, Dr. Morsal Mahriyar, Dr. Hossein
Ashraf, Dr. Mehrdad Afarid and Dr. Muhammad Hossein Nowrooz Zadeh at
Khalili Hospital.

Considering the vast scope of abilities in Iran, Dr. Farvardin
remarked: “Currently, in Iran, we are faced with a great deal of
scientific progress in all fields of sciences and especially
ophthalmology. As he added, “this operation is the result of a long
period of

endeavors which thanks to God, today, is blossoming and we are hopeful
to see other scientific mutations in the country.”

SUMS Retina Implantation

 

This faculty member of SUMS, explaining the methodology of the surgery,
mentioned: “This procedure of surgery treatment is used for patients
with complete vision loss; for instance, patients with severe night
blindness who initially have low vision at night and during time
progress and with increasing age will also lose day vision in a way
that some are confronted with complete vision loss.”

The surgery was performed in Shiraz on a 40-year-old woman who suffered
from complete vision loss of both eyes. Using common methodologies of
vision measuring, it is revealed that her eyes are deprived of light
perception while utilizing special methods and intense beams of light,
optic nerves with electric pulses are exposed. In addition, another
woman of 33 years of age sharing similar condition had undergone the
same operation and it was for the first time in the world that two
surgeries in the mentioned field were operated by a team in one day, he
added. 

Dr. Farvardin Mentioned that operating this kind of surgery demands a
duration of 5 hours while employing the most complicated and modern
methodologies of optical operation, he also stated: “The device, placed
next to the patient’s eye, is a receptor of the surrounding images
recorded by a camera which after being processed are sent to the eye
via an antenna. Then, the received images on the surface of the eye,
with the help of a wire are transferred to a plate consisting 60
electrodes, which is implanted onto the center of the retina, thus, the
stimulation is transmitted to the visual cortex through the optic
nerve. Finally, after vision rehabilitation exercises, from a distance
of about 1 meter finger counting is done, therefore, with the new
condition, the patient is capable of doing plenty of activities,
independently.