Subject: The Membership of Iranian Journal of Medical Sciences Editor in the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE)
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18322-33      Publish Date : Monday, December 11, 2017 Visit :
4992 

NEWS | The Membership of Iranian Journal of Medical Sciences Editor in
the International Committee of Medic... 

The Membership of Iranian Journal of Medical Sciences Editor in the
International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) 
The Membership of Iranian Journal of Medical Sciences Editor in the
International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) 

The Membership of Iranian Journal of Medical Sciences Editor in the
International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE)

SUMS Membership in ICMJE

For the first time in the Middle East, the Editor-in-Chief of Iranian
Journal of Medical Sciences (IJMS) which is the official journal of
Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS) is accepted as a member of
the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE), the
Chairman of IJMS and the Head of Pharmacology Department of SUMS said
as reported by Web-da in Shiraz.

This committee includes a limited number of the editors of predominant
medical journals which publish articles in a diverse range of medical
sciences. The committee, including a group of five persons as the
fundamental members and some other famous international journal editors
such as New England Journal of Medicine, AIM, the BMJ, The Lancet, and
JAMA, was established 30 years ago, Dr. Mohammad Reza Panjeh Shahin
remarked.

The committee determines standard basic approaches and headlines toward
the publication of medical sciences articles in international journals;
therefore, the guidelines must be employed by all medical journals, he
added.

Moreover, the members of the committee are currently 13 persons and for
the first time in the Middle East, Dr. Behrooz Astaneh has been chosen
as one of the main members of the international committee that is an
important success for SUMS, Iran and Asia, he declared.

He, in the end, appreciated previous and present Chancellors of SUMS,
SUMS’ Vice-Chancellery for Research and Technology and SUMS’ faculty
members for their support of the journal as the main symbol of SUMS in
the region and the world.

The International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) is known
as “Vancouver group” among medical researchers and the editors of
medical journals.  The group, since 1979, has been preparing standard
instructions and guidelines for writing articles, doing researches and
reporting articles, the member of ICMJE and the Editor-in-Chief of IJMS
mentioned.

The leading five international medical journals including AIM, the BMJ,
the Lancet, JAMA and New England Journal of Medicine as the oldest
international medical journal form the central core of the group’s
founders, Dr. Behrooz Astaneh added.

Annually, the group arranges a meeting to provide the latest revisions
considering Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts (URM). The latest
meeting was held in November 2017 in Copenhagen, Denmark and new
changes in the guidelines have been implemented, therefore, to be
declared and published in the near future, the Supervisor of the
Journalist Group of SUMS stated.

Considering the history of IJMS, he said: IJMS was first published in
1970 and since then it is prepared and published in Shiraz; besides,
the journal is the second English journal of medical sciences in the
country.

The journal works on the field of general medicine, thus, the
professors in charge of managing the journal and as the editorial board
work on a variety of medical fields consisting basic sciences and
different clinical sciences, he continued.

Also, with regard to the number of received articles and the published
ones in each edition of the journal as well as the total number of
published articles in each year, the growth of the journal within
previous years has been considerable. About ten years ago, the journal
was published seasonally and the number of the published articles was
approximately 10 while the submitted articles were 110 ones in a year.
In the present moment, due to professional interactions with
researchers and writers in addition to increasing work speed, precision
and deep thinking ability of the editorial members in choosing
articles, the growing number of submitted articles is noticeable, the
member of ICMJE and the Editor of IJMS indicated.

According to the latest statistics, 793 articles were submitted in
2016. Further, in previous years the journal has turned into a
bimonthly one and the number of published articles in each edition has
reached 16 which equivalates to the total submitted articles of other
medical publications of the country. Also, the process of surveying
articles during the period between the reception of the submitted
articles and the publication is the most standard approach applied in
Iran, Dr. Astaneh believed.

30 percent of about 800 articles sent to the journal are from other
countries. Comparing other medical journals of the country which
receive articles from neighboring countries and India, a great number
of submitted articles to IJMS are from far away countries as Serbia,
Italy, Japan, Eygept, Saudi Arabia, India, Pakistan,  and the countries
of Persian Gulf regions, he concluded.