Subject: The Iranian Legendary Ophthalmologist, Professor Ali Asghar Khodadoust, Passed Away at 82
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18322-38      Publish Date : Sunday, March 11, 2018 Visit : 9293 

NEWS | The Iranian Legendary Ophthalmologist, Professor Ali Asghar
Khodadoust, Passed Away at 82 

The Iranian Legendary Ophthalmologist, Professor Ali Asghar Khodadoust,
Passed Away at 82 
The Iranian Legendary Ophthalmologist, Professor Ali Asghar Khodadoust,
Passed Away at 82 

The Iranian Legendary Ophthalmologist, Professor Ali Asghar Khodadoust,
Passed Away at 82

DrKhodadoust

 

Professor Ali Asghar Khodadoust, a world distinguished ophthalmologist
and an international pioneer of eye research, died on Friday, 9th of
February, 2018 at the age of 82.

Dr. Ali Asghar Khodadoust was born in 1935 in Shiraz, Iran. He entered
Shiraz University of Medical sciences previously known as Shiraz
Faculty of Medicine in 1952. After six years of medical course, he
commenced his residency at Namazee Hospital in Shiraz to become an
otolaryngologist. In 1959, he was awarded a grant to continue his
medical education in Ophthalmology in the US. Four years later, on June
28, 1963, he became the first foreign resident of ophthalmology at
Wilmer Eye Institute (WEI), Johns Hopkins University (JHU). Professor
Edward A Maumenee, a former director of the WEI, acknowledged that Dr.
Khodadoust was their best resident ever. Graduating in 1964, he first
worked as a lecturer for one year and in 1965 he became an assistant
professor of ophthalmology at the WEI.

Since then, he had effectively spared his time on the production and
development of knowledge through his precious and influential presence
in different universities. In 1968 he returned to Iran and began
teaching in the Faculty of Ophthalmology at Shiraz University as a
full-fledged professor. From 1968 to 1980 he traveled between Iran and
America to train experts in both countries and to conduct his
scientific projects. Later, in 1982 he became the Director of
Ophthalmology Department at the University of Cecil to continue his
sincere contribution to the scientific progress of human health.

Professor Khodadoust devoted his life to studying corneal diseases and
transplantation biology in ophthalmology. Several famous American
ophthalmologists recognized him as the world's best corneal graft
surgeon. Professor Khodadoust achieved impressive findings in this
field due to which “Khodadoust rejection line” (Corneal Endothelial
Rejection), is internationally named after him.