Subject: Shiraz University of Medical Sciences at the Pinnacle of the World: The Most Recent Results from Twenty-Five Years of Experience in Liver Transplant Reveal
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18322-45      Publish Date : Wednesday, January 2, 2019 Visit :
4744 

NEWS | Shiraz University of Medical Sciences at the Pinnacle of the
World: The Most Recent Results from Twe... 

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences at the Pinnacle of the World: The
Most Recent Results from Twenty-Five Years of Experience in Liver
Transplant Reveal 
Shiraz University of Medical sciences at the Pinnacle of the World: The
Most Recent Results from Twenty-Five Years of Experience in Liver
Transplant Reveal 

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences at the Pinnacle of the World: The
Most Recent Results

from Twenty-Five Years of Experience in Liver Transplant Reveal 

 

The Vice-Chancellor for the Ministry of Health and Education, Dr.
Malekzadeh: The first successful liver transplant was operated in 1967
in the USA. Twenty years after the date, in 1993, the organ transplant
team of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS) performed the
first liver transplant under the supervision of Dr. Ali Malek Hosseini.
Since then, the University has continued its notoriety in organ
transplant making SUMS the main hub of liver transplant in the Middle
East. He goes on to add that at the present moment, Iran is among the
10 pioneering countries and the first in the region with scientific
knowledge of liver transplant from deceased donors.

Dr. Malekzadeh, further, draws attention on the most recent studies
conducted on “liver transplant in Iran” and states that during the last
25 years, 6301 liver transplants were performed in the country where
5819 organs were obtained from deceased donors and 482 from close
living relatives. Iran’s profuse number of liver transplant operations
from deceased donors have hit a global record, Dr. Malek Hosseini
claims.  He also maintains, 4871 out of the total number of the
transplants have been performed in Shiraz. Dr. Malek Hosseini declares
that among the 9 active liver transplant centers in Iran only SUMS’
center, performing 482 operations of liver transplant from living
donors, features the practical knowledge of such a demanding
professional procedure.

As Dr. Malek Hosseini remarks, this year, SUMS’ organ transplant center
has hit the Pittsburg Transplant Center’s last global record in liver
transplant from deceased donors and famed itself as the first in the
world. Pittsburg Transplant Center has previously recorded 561 liver
transplant operations for a year while SUMS annual number regarding the
issue is 638 for 2018, he clarifies. Finally, Dr. Malek Hosseini, the
father of Iran’s liver transplant, concludes, “not only does SUMS keep
on its success in liver transplant, but also it has been continuously
honoring considerable achievements in other organ transplant
operations; for instance, 4469 kidneys, 64 pancreases, and 33
intestines have been successfully transplanted; besides, 154
kidney-pancreas and 21 other combined abdominal organ transplants have
been performed until now”.