Subject: The Impacts of U.S. Sanctions on Iranian Patients with Epilepsy
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18322-59      Publish Date : Sunday, May 12, 2019 Visit : 3763 

NEWS | The Impacts of U.S. Sanctions on Iranian Patients with Epilepsy 

The Impacts of U.S. Sanctions on Iranian Patients with Epilepsy 
The Impacts of U.S. Sanctions on Iranian Patients with Epilepsy 

The Impacts of U.S. Sanctions on Iranian Patients with Epilepsy

epilepsy

 

Following the United Sates’ withdrawal from Iran Nuclear Deal on May 8,
2018 and U.S. reimposition of economic sanctions on Iran, Iranian
patients with epilepsy are faced with antiepileptic drugs (AEDs)
paucity. According to research on the impacts of the international
economic sanctions on Iranian patients with epilepsy conducted by
Asadi-Pooya AA, Azizimalamiri R, Badv Rs, et al. on Feb. 2-6, it is
disclosed that 37.7 % of patients have considerable difficulty in
finding AEDs and 15.2% hardly have access to the medications. The
survey also revealed, 72% of the patients receiving imported AEDs and
30% of those receiving AEDs produced in Iran find it extremely
difficult to obtain their medications. Unfortunately, all these
problems have led to worsening of seizures in 36% of the patients
reporting their struggle in obtaining AEDs and 22% of those, who did
not submit any report in this regard.  

Further information is available at
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31063932/