Subject: Shiraz University of Medical Sciences Embarks on the Auditory Brainstem Implant
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18322-62      Publish Date : Saturday, September 7, 2019 Visit :
3681 

NEWS | Shiraz University of Medical Sciences Embarks on the Auditory
Brainstem Implant 

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences Embarks on the Auditory Brainstem
Implant 
Shiraz University of Medical Sciences Embarks on the Auditory Brainstem
Implant 

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences Embarks on the Auditory Brainstem
Implant

Brainstem Implant

On September 3, 2019, one of the most sophisticated and challenging
auditory system surgeries, Auditory Brainstem Implant (ABI), was
successfully performed by the faculty members of Shiraz University of
Medical Sciencs (SUMS), Dr. Basir Hashemi and Dr. Arash Safariyan, in
cooperation with a German surgeon, Prof. Behr, for the first time. SUMS
is now considered as the second center in Iran with the hands-on and
empirical knowledge of this advanced operation.

Brainstem Implant at SUMS

Dr. Basir Hashemi, head of SUMS Cochlear Implant Center, maintained
that assortment of medical treatments and approaches as cochlear
implant surgery and the ABI operation are practiced to rehabilitate
patients with hearing deficiencies. To assist patients with hearing
impairments, over 1600 cochlear implants have been operated by SUMS
cochlear implant surgery team since 2003, he added.

 

Brainstem Implant at SUMS

As Dr. Hashemi elaborated, the ABI operation is appropriate for those
with labyrinth, cochlea, non-functioning auditory nerve, or auditory
nerve impairments who resemble no impairment of the central auditory
nervous system. The patients were capable of hearing and speaking
before losing their hearing due to, for instance, accident, brain
tumor, or surgery on their auditory nerve. These patients, moreover,
are non-respondent to cochlear implant since the auditory nerve is
annihilated or irreversibly damaged. Thus, through the direct
stimulation of the brainstem via the electrodes which are fixed to the
cochlear nucleus of the brainstem in lieu of the auditory nerve
pathways, the patients’ hearing can be restored. Dr. Hashemi concluded
that the first ABI operation at SUMS affiliated hospital, Shahid
Chamran Hospital, was performed on a 30-year-old patient suffering from
a few years of hearing loss.