Subject: The rare surgery of electrical stimulation of the brain was successfully completed in Nemazee Hospital. Accordingly, surgery on patients with Parkinson's disease, dystonia, and Tremor movement disorder will be possible in Shiraz
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18322-8      Publish Date : Saturday, August 8, 2015 Visit :
5116 

NEWS | The rare surgery of electrical stimulation of the brain was
successfully completed in Nemazee Hospit... 

The rare surgery of electrical stimulation of the brain was
successfully completed in Nemazee Hospital. Accordingly, surgery on
patients with Parkinson's disease, dystonia, and Tremor movement
disorder will be possible in Shiraz 
The rare surgery of electrical stimulation of the brain was
successfully completed in Nemazee Hospital. Accordingly, surgery on
patients with Parkinson's disease, dystonia, and Tremor movement
disorder will be possible in Shiraz 

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences neurosurgery team succeeded in a
rare electrical stimulation of brain surgery on two 22-year-old
patients.

 

 

According to Web-da news reporter at the Public Relations of Shiraz
University of Medical Sciences, the head of the surgical team, stating
that this surgery ranks among the most advanced surgeries in medical
sciences, specifically in the field of neurology, said:  Due to the
sensitivity and delicacy of the surgery, a few centers in the region
are able to perform this surgery. This surgery was successfully
performed for the first time on two 22-year-old patients with dystonic
motor impairment in Namazi Hospital.”

Referring to similar surgeries on these patients with Parkinson's
disease and Tremor before this surgery, he added: “regarding the
success of these two operations, the second round of these surgeries
has begun with the 22-year-old female who had trouble moving some of
her limbs and had not been able to walk on her own.”

Dr. Razmkan asserted that another surgery has been operated on the
patient with severe motor disabilities, who suffered, like the
22-year-old patient, from a genetic disorder. Besides, no effective
medicine in this field has been identified and produced yet.

The head of the surgical team reported that more than 70% of the two
patients’ disorders were improved by the surgery and expressed the hope
that they will return to normal life in the future.

“The electrical brain stimulation surgery on the 22-year-old patient
took 10 hours of work” he asserted, reporting that the department of
Neurosurgery at the Nemazee Hospital directed by Professor Musa
Taghipour, Neuroscience Research Center of the University directed by
Dr. Majid Reza Farrokhi, and the Department of Neurology at Shiraz
University of Medical Sciences, cooperated, monitored and supported the
surgery.

He also mentioned that Dr. Peyman Petram far as a neurologist and Dr.
Sina Salehi as a neuroscientist and electrophysiologist were present
during the surgery as the main members of the team. In addition, Dr.
Arash Mani, as a psychologist, Dr. Reza Juybar, Dr.Hussain Iqbal and
Dr. Farid Zand, comprising the anesthesia team, were members of the
surgical team.

Dr. Razmkan reported on the possibility of the surgery on patients with
Parkinson’s disease, Tremor motor impairment, dystonia, obsessive
compulsive disorder, severe depression and certain types of seizures
refractory to medical therapy, utilizing this surgical technique.