Subject: EpiPick: An Anti-seizure Selection Tool Designed by Dr. Ali A. Asadi-Pooya, SUMS Faculty Member of Neurology
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18322-93      Publish Date : Sunday, May 17, 2020 Visit : 4032 

NEWS | EpiPick: An Anti-seizure Selection Tool Designed by Dr. Ali A.
Asadi-Pooya, SUMS Faculty Member of N... 

EpiPick: An Anti-seizure Selection Tool Designed by Dr. Ali A.
Asadi-Pooya, SUMS Faculty Member of Neurology 
EpiPick: An Anti-seizure Selection Tool Designed by Dr. Ali A.
Asadi-Pooya, SUMS Faculty Member of Neurology 

 

EpiPick: An Anti-seizure Selection Tool Designed by Dr. Ali A.
Asadi-Pooya, SUMS Faculty Member of Neurology

Currently, the first-line treatment for treating epilepsy is
Anti-seizure Medications (ASMs), and many of which are available to be
prescribed for patients. On the one hand, the treatment offers health
professionals good chances to tailor medication to each individual’s
characteristics. On the other hand, it might lead health professionals
to make an inappropriate choice. Professor of Neurology at Shiraz
University of Medical Sciences (SUMS), Dr. Ali A. Asadi-Pooya, the
top-rated expert in seizures in Asia, and his teammates have developed
a programmatic algorithm to facilitate prescribing medication for
patients whose epilepsy has begun at age 10 or above. This
user-friendly algorithm takes only two minutes to complete and offers
different treatment options to choose from. Contributing to the
epilepsy management, the algorithm will be particularly beneficial to
health providers who seek advice or lack special expertise in the field.

It is worth mentioning this algorithm was designed by SUMS Epilepsy
Research Center in cooperation with Thomas Jefferson University’s
Comprehensive Epilepsy Center in the USA, the Danish Epilepsy Center of
University of Copenhagen in Denmark, the Neurosurgery Department of
University Hospital Erlangen in Germany, the Neurosurgery Department of
the University Hospital Halle in Germany, and the Department of
Internal Medicine and Therapeutics of University of Pavia in Italy. The
project was furthermore funded by the Danish Epilepsy Research Center
and Philadelphia Research Foundation.