Subject: Undergraduate
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18326      Publish Date : Thursday, July 30, 2015 Visit : 40847 

Undergraduate 

Requirements 
Requirements for Application at SUMS 

SUMS Undergraduate Degree Requirements

SUMS Undergraduate Requirements

 

 

Undergraduate prospective students coming to SUMS aim at initiating
their university life and realizing their academic goals. So, we
encourage all applicants to apply
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/form/18919/Apply-to-SUMS-Undergraduate-Progr
ams--B-Sc---M-B-B-S---M-D---D-M-D---Pharm-D-->  to SUMS. Before you
fill in the online application form, make sure that you exhibit the
required qualifications and hold the essential documents. As an
undergraduate applicant, you should meet certain requirements depending
on the program you are applying for. Applications are accepted from
graduates of accredited high schools or colleges/universities. Both
oral and written competence in the English language is part of the
entry requirements for the University. Applicants who have obtained
higher marks in Biology, Chemistry (General, Inorganic, Organic) and
Physics in high school enjoy preference. Applicants are required to be
over the age of 17 in the year of application. The list below outlines
required documents for undergraduate application to SUMS:

*	A satisfactory academic record: Applicants must obtain a record
of transcripts from the institution they have attended. There is no
minimum required GPA to secure admission to an undergraduate program.
However, competitive applicants have the GPA of 3.00 or above.
*	A secondary school diploma or the equivalent certificate

Important notice: Please note that applicants should submit a certified
copy of their School Leaving Certificate from an accredited high
school/senior secondary school and certificate listing all the subjects
they have taken and the grades they have achieved. Please note that the
school reports should include all graded results obtained during your
studies.

*	Curriculum vitae (CV)
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18457/CV-Template-and-Instructions> :
This includes your personal information as well as your educational
background and work experience.
*	Cover Letter
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18458/Cover-Letter-Template-and-Instruct
ions> : This letter demonstrates which program you are deciding to
apply for.
*	A high-quality scanned copy of the main page of your passport
is required (in PDF, JPEG, or PNG format). Please ensure that your
passport is valid for at least six months.
*	Recent passport-sized photo
*	Language requirements:

English Language Requirements:

Evidence of English Proficiency on the TOEFL or IELTS tests. The
minimum score for TOEFL PBT, TOEFL iBT and IELTS is 525, 69 and 5.5
respectively.

NOTE: the following individuals may be waived from providing a
certificate of English language proficiency. However, in some cases,
they might undergo a language placement test based on the decision of
SUMS English Language Department, and based on the decision of SUMS
Office of International Admissions for international students.

*	Applicants from a native of English speaking countries
*	Applicants from countries where English is the official
language.
*	Applicants who have been educated full-time in the medium of
the English language throughout the two most recent years and who
remain in full-time education conducted in the English language until
the end of the school year in their home country (an official
certificate must be submitted).

NOTE: Applicants who have failed to meet minimum language requirements
are allowed to apply to SUMS. In case they are admitted to SUMS, they
will undergo an English language placement test at the time of their
arrival for assessment of their ability in speaking and reading
English. If applicant’s English language proficiency does not meet SUMS
minimum requirements, s/he is required to pass English language classes
for at least one semester before the program or during the program.
This decision will be made based on SUMS English Language Department
evaluation and placement test and based on the decision of SUMS Office
of International Admissions for international students. English
Language Classes (for whole 136 hours) costs $2,232. Please note that
this fee is completely separate from the tuition fee. If 136 hours is
not enough to pass SUMS minimum language requirements, students are
required to attend English classes for another semester. At the end of
the second semester, if the students still do not succeed to pass SUMS
minimum language requirements, they will be denied admission to the
offered program.  

Persian Language Requirements:

It is not essential for prospective international students of M.D.,
M.B.B.S., D.M.D., and Pharm.D. programs to provide evidence of Persian
language proficiency to enter their chosen program. However, due to the
fact that communicating with local patients (in Persian) is an integral
part of clinical practice, students of M.D., M.B.B.S., D.M.D, and
Pharm.D. Programs must master Persian language skills including
speaking, writing and reading during the basic science stage. Thus, the
international programs combine English and Persian as their language of
instruction. On the other hand, all the references and exams will be in
English.

Students admitted to the above programs will be assessed through a
Persian placement test held by the SUMS Persian Language Center upon
arrival. Persian language training is provided to the students who
should take the Persian course, during the program, beginning from the
first semester.

The total obligatory Persian language course duration will be maximum
272 hours. This course can be entirely free depending on the type of
the scholarship the student has received. Please check the Table of
Expenses
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18320/Tuition--Fees-and-Expenses>  for
further information.

Should a student fail to fulfill the minimum Persian language
requirements after receiving the prearranged amount of education, based
on the decision of the Persian Language Center and the Office of
Admissions at SUMS, they should keep taking Persian courses until they
reach the desired level of proficiency. They should also pay for these
extra Persian courses (over 272 hours), even if they have been granted
a scholarship.

The major language of instruction for international M.D., M.B.B.S.,
D.M.D., and Pharm.D. programs at SUMS is English. Courses are offered
in English over the Basic Science Stage. After completing the Basic
Science Stage, a Persian proficiency test will be held to evaluate the
students’ Persian language skills. At this point, students are required
to know a good deal of Persian, since they should interact with local
patients Persian language.

It should be noted that only those students are eligible to take the
Persian Language proficiency test prior to the Physiopathology phase
that have participated fully in the Persian Language classes, passed
the course and received a written permission from the SUMS Languages
Center.

Minimum requirements of Persian language for admission to other
undergraduate programs vary depending on the intended program and each
prospective candidate will be informed of the required language
competence through an e-mail.

*	Iranian citizens and Iranian applicants who hold dual
citizenship cannot apply to SUMS International Education Program (IEP).
They must sit the National Entrance Examination (Konkur).
*	Each academic year consists of 2 semesters and a summer break.
The fall and winter semesters begin in September and February,
respectively.
*	SUMS provides single undergraduate students with dormitory
rooms and apartments, which are fully furnished and include Wi-Fi
internet, utilities, TV, etc. 
*	All documents must be submitted in either Persian or English.
All documents in any language other than Persian or English must first
be translated into English.
*	Only applications with high school documents can be considered
for undergraduate applications. Even applicants who have already
obtained an academic degree and intend to apply for an undergraduate
program should submit their high school diploma and transcripts.
Applications accompanied by university documents that miss the high
school records will be ignored.