Subject: Nemazee Hospital
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18720      Publish Date : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 Visit : 21537 

Nemazee Hospital 

Nemazee Hospital 

Nemazee Hospital (AKA Namazi Hospital)

“Nemazee Hospital is not a place for patients to rest … rather this
foundation is intended to be a center for achieving world’s advanced
knowledge of medical sciences and training skilled physicians.”
Mohammad Nemazee (1895-1972)

Nemazee (namazi) Hospital

 

About	 
In 1924, a charity healthcare facility, Behboudestan-e Nemazee, was
founded by Mr. Mohammad Hassan Nemazee and headed by Dr. Karim Hedayat.
When the beneficent passed away, the institution faced financial
difficulties and a shortage of staff; consequently, it was closed in
1932. Then, in 1935, owing to Dr. Zabihollah Ghorban’s endeavors,
Behboudestan-e Nemazee resumed its activities and later changed to an
outpatient clinic (day hospital) which was known as Clinic No.1 and was
supervised by Shiraz
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18301/Discovering-Shiraz>  Municipality.

After Mr. Nemazee, his son, Mohammad Nemazee
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18455/A-Tribute-to-Mohammad-Nemazee> ,
devoted a considerable portion of his wealth to charitable affairs,
including a charitable foundation in Washington (1949), the
establishment of Shiraz Water supply system (1952), Advanced Institute
of Nursing (1953), Nemazee Orphanage, and Nemazee Vocational School in
Shiraz. In 1944, he decided to buy a 25-bed world-war II prefabricated
hospital so as to found Nemazee Hospital in Shiraz. Consulting with Dr.
Torab Mehra and with his financial support, the project grew into a
250-bed hospital.

Mohammad Nemazee
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18455/A-Tribute-to-Mohammad-Nemazee> ,
in addition, had bought a 25-hectare garden, known as Ahmadiyeh Garden,
and then built a 7500-square-meter hospital as well as accommodation
for the hospital’s physicians and staff in the garden. In 1954, Mr.
Nemazee officially apportioned all the income generated from Shiraz
Water Supply System including wells, devices, assets, and buildings to
the management and administration of Nemazee Hospital.

In 1955, Nemazee Hospital inaugurated its activities as a referral
medical facility in southern Iran and the Middle East. It is estimated
that during the first years since the inception of the hospital,
approximately 20% to 25% of the patients were referred from Middle
Eastern countries such as Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait,
Bahrain, and Qatar as well as Africa.

In pursuit of its commitment to the health and well-being of human
beings, Nemazee Hospital has constantly been   ​endeavoring to offer
state-of-the-art services and provide advanced healthcare facilities.
The first surgical operation at the hospital was performed by Dr. Allen
O. Whipple, who was the first to introduce the surgical procedure of
pancreatoduodenectomy, in the1930’s.  By 1959, Iranian staff and
physicians contain the great majority of the hospital’s personnel. Dr.
Mohsen Ziyaee (pediatrician), Dr. Atalla Lotfi (anesthesiologist), Dr.
Jalil Farah (radiologist), Dr. Rashid Masoomi (cardiologist), Dr. Rahim
Dehghan (general surgeon), Dr. Khalil Alavi (otolaryngologist), and Dr.
Ahmad Riyazi (pathologist) were among the first physicians who joined
the hospital. Moreover, Nemazee Hospital was the first hospital in Iran
where organ transplantation was conducted. Currently, it is the main
liver and pancreas transplantation center in the region. Liver, heart,
kidney, pancreas, and bone marrow transplantations are among the
plethora of surgeries performed at the hospital.

Nemazee Hospital also owns the largest and most advanced Nuclear
Medicine and Radiation Therapy Center in the region. This hospital was
incorporated into Shiraz University in 1964 so as to benefit from
government subsidies. It is now active as a general teaching hospital
affiliated to Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS) with
approximately 914 beds. The hospital, moreover, is well-known for its
research efforts especially microbiological and vascular surgery
research activities conducted at Prof. Alborzi Clinical Microbiology
Research Center and Vascular Surgery Research Center, respectively.
Owing to the constant efforts of SUMS researchers at the hospital and
faculty members’ expertise in training and educating students within
the hospital’s educational departments, Nemazee Hospital is considered
the most eminent and advanced research and teaching facility in Iran.

Hospital Type

General Teaching Hospital

Hospital Ranking and Rating Score

Rating: A

Specialty and Subspecialty Wards

Specialty Wards

*	Orthopedic
*	Pediatric Allergy-Immunology
*	Anesthesia
*	Pathology
*	Nuclear Medicine
*	General Surgery
*	Urology Surgery
*	Neurosurgery
*	Radiology and Oncology
*	Obstetrics and Gynecology Radiology
*	Rehabilitation and Physiotherapy
*	Pediatric Medicine
*	Infectious Diseases
*	Cardiology
*	Neurology
*	General Internal Medicine

Subspecialty Wards

*	Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
*	Thoracic Surgery
*	Vascular Surgery
*	Cardiac Surgery
*	Pediatric Surgery
*	General Internal Medicine (Hematology and Oncology)
*	General Internal Medicine (Endocrine)
*	General Internal Medicine (Nephrology)
*	General Internal Medicine (Gastroenterology)
*	Pediatric Infectious Diseases
*	Pediatric Endocrine
*	Pediatric Cardiology
*	Pediatric Nephrology
*	Pediatric Gastroenterology
*	Neonatal and Pediatric Neurology

Paraclinical Departments	 

*	Bonedensitometry
*	urodynamics
*	Adult Eechocardiography
*	Pediatric echocardiography
*	Laboratory
*	Adult Endoscopy
*	Pediatric Endoscopy
*	Blood Gas
*	Nuclear medicine 
*	Echocardiography
*	Drugstore
*	Medical Imaging
*	Dialysis

Distinctive Services and Facilities

*	Organ transplantation including liver, heart, kidney,
pancreases, and bone morrow transplantations
*	General Angiography
*	Cardiac Angiography
*	Coronary Angiography
*	Cardiac surgery
*	Neurosurgery
*	Epilepsy Surgery
*	Urology Surgery
*	DBS Surgery
*	EWAR- TEWAR Surgery
*	Nuclear Medicine and Radiotherapy Center
*	The Most Advanced Mammography Screening Equipment in the Middle
East

Ancillary Services	 

*	Ambulance Services
*	Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) Services
*	Audiology Services
*	Cardiac Monitoring
*	Dialysis Services
*	Durable Medical Equipment (DME)
*	Hearing Services
*	Laboratory Services
*	Mobile Diagnostic Services
*	Radiology/Diagnostic Imaging
*	Rehabilitation Services
*	Sleep Laboratory Services
*	Substance-Abuse Services
*	Ventilator Services
*	Wound-Care Services

Research Centers

*	Shiraz Transplant Research Center
*	Prof. Alborzi Clinical Microbiology Research Center
*	Vascular Surgery Research Center
*	Community-based Psychiatric Care Research Center (CBPCRC)
*	Endocrine & Metabolism Research Center
*	Shiraz Transplant Research Center (STRC)

Statistics

Row No.	 Inpatient Wards	 Number of Active Beds	 
1	 Pediatric Nephrology and Neurology	 19	 
2	 Pediatric Infectious Diseases	 21	 
3	 Pediatric Cardiology	 10	 
4	 Pediatric Gastroenterology	 20	 
5	 Pediatric Endocrine	 10	 
6	 Pediatric Allergy-Immunology	 12	 
7	 Neonates’	 15	 
8	 General Internal Medicine	 61	 
9	 General Internal Medicine (Hematology and Oncology	 42
10	 General Internal Medicine (Neurology)	 37	 
11	 General Internal Medicine (Gastroenterology)	 18	 
12	 Nephrology	 33	 
13	 CCU	 32	 
14	 (Post Coronary Care Unit) POST ANGIO	 13	 
15	 Thoracic Surgery Ward	 21	 
16	 General Internal Medicine (Vascular)	 30	 
17	 Urology	 17	 
18	 Orthopedic	 20	 
19	 Pediatric Surgery	 26	 
20	      Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery	 26	 
21	 Neurosurgery 	 23	 
22	 General ICU	 31	 
23	 ICU (General Internal Medicine)	 20	 
24	 ICU (Surgery)	 8	 
25	 ICU (Neurosurgery)	 18	 
26	 PICU	 27	 
27	 NICU	 29	 
28	  Special Care Unit (SCU)	 5	 
29	 Open Heart ICU (ICU-OH)	 25	 
30	 Bone Morrow Transplantation 	 13	 
31	 Nuclear Medicine	 6	 
32	 ER	 226	 
Total	 914	 

 

Staff Statistics	 

Position	 Number	 Number of Staff by Gender

Male	 Female	 
Physicians (GP, Specialists, Subspecialists, and Surgeons)	 84
28	 56	 
Nurses	 1955	 463	 1492	 
Other (Clinical Staff)	 402	 126	 276	 
Non-Clinical and Administrative Staff	 535	 332	 203	 
Total	 2976	 949	 2027	 

Hospital-Affiliated Clinics

*	Imam Reza Multi-specialty Clinic
*	Motahari Multi-specialty Clinic

Hospital Picture Gallary

Visit Hospital Picture Gallary.
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/igc/421/Nemazee-Hospital--KA-Namazi-Hospital-
> 

Hospital Contact Details

Hospital CEO: Dr. Ahmad Hosseinzadeh

Tel.: (+98 71) 36 47 43 32

Fax: (+98 71) 36 47 43 26

Address: Namazi Sq., Zand St., Shiraz, Iran, 7193613311 

For more information please visit Nemazee Hospital Official Website
<https://namazi.sums.ac.ir/> .

	

 

  _____  

Useful Links:

Shahid Faghihi Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18710/Shahid-Faghihi-Hospital--AKA-Sa-ad
i-Hospital-> 

Amir Oncology Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18725/Amir-Oncology-Hospital> 

Shahid Chamran Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18728/Shahid-Chamran-Hospital> 

Emtiyaz Hospital and Shahid Rajaee Surgery Emergency Center
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18727/Emtiyaz-Hospital-and-Shahid-Rajaee
-Surgery-Emergency-Center> 

Khalili Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18735/Khalili-Hospital> 

Hazrate Ali-Asghar Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18736/Hazrate-Ali-Asghar-Hospital> 

Shahid Dasgheib Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18740/Shahid-Dasgheib-Hospital> 

Hazrate Zeinab Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18747/Hazrate-Zeinab-Hospital> 

Amir-Al-Moemenin Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18749/Amir-Al-Moemenin-Hospital> 

Hafez Hospital <http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18737/Hafez-Hospital> 

Al-Zahra and Shahid Hejazi Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18729/Al-Zahra-and-Shahid-Hejazi-Hospita
l> 

Shooshtari Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18741/Shooshtari-Hospital> 

Ibn-e-Sina Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18738/Ibn-e-Sina-Hospital> 

Ostad Moharary Neuropsychiatric Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18739/Ostad-Moharary-Neuropsychiatric-Ho
spital> 

Apply for SUMS Medical Elective (Internship) Program at Nemazee
Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18316/Visiting-Medical-Electives--Intern
ships-> 

A Tribute to Mohammad Nemazee: An Iconic Benefactor of Shiraz
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18455/A-Tribute-to-Mohammad-Nemazee> 

About Shiraz <http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18301/Discovering-Shiraz>