Subject: Seyed Mohammad Javad Mortazavi, PhD
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18726      Publish Date : Monday, July 6, 2020 Visit : 4780 

Seyed Mohammad Javad Mortazavi, PhD 

Seyed Mohammad Javad Mortazavi, PhD 

 

Seyed Mohammad Javad Mortazavi, PhD	 Seyed Mohammad Javad
Mortazavi, PhD 

Professor of Medical Physics

Department of Medical Physics and Engineering, School of Medicine

Ionizing and Non-ionizing Radiation Protection Research Center (INIRPRC)

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences

Download CV

E-mail Address: [email-masked], [email-masked]

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Biography

Seyed Mohammad Javad Mortazavi is a Professor of Medical Physics at
School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS). Dr.
Mortazavi did his B.Sc. in Radiology at SUMS in 1992. Afterwards, he
majored in M.Sc. of Medical Physics and then graduated with a Ph.D.
degree in the same field from Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran.
After finishing his post-doctorate research which was awarded by the
Japan Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS) at the Kyoto University
of Education, he was given the Young Scientist Award by the 11th
International Congress of Radiation Research, Dublin, Ireland in 1999.
Focusing on the issue of space radiation, he has conducted studies on
space biology, especially biological protection of astronauts against
high levels of space radiation in deep space missions such as future
manned journeys to Mars. Dr. Mortazavi has also received specific
training and has considerable expertise in the biological effects of
ionizing and non-ionizing radiation.

In 2002, Dr. Mortazavi was recruited to Rafsanjan University of Medical
Sciences, Rafsanjan, Iran where he served as an Assistant/Associate
Professor until 2008. He then decided to be a faculty member at SUMS
where he is carrying out his duties as a professor. In addition to his
position at SUMS, Dr. Mortazavi was also appointed a visiting scientist
at Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia (2017-2018) and University of
Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee (2018).

Dr. Mortazavi has authored and published more than 250 papers in
peer-reviewed journals in a variety of subject areas including low dose
radiation, radiation protection, radiation shielding, natural
radiation, space radiation/medicine, and non-ionizing radiation. Some
of Dr. Mortazavi’s works (papers/letters) have been published in
prestigious journals such as Proceedings of the National Academy of
Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS), Circulation (an
American Heart Association Journal), British Journal of Cancer, and
International Journal of Environmental Research. In his published
papers, he has extensively written on the future role of radio
adaptation in the long-term stay of humans in space. One of his early
papers that has been cited by National Aeronautics and Space
Administration (NASA) is still receiving attention. Moreover, his
published works are cited in many official guidelines developed by
governmental organizations in different countries across the globe. He
is also an editorial board member of some outstanding journals such as
International Journal of Low Radiation (IJLR), Radiology of Infectious
Diseases and International Journal of Radiation Research (IJRR).

Significant International Collaborations 

Total Number of Publications: More than 250

Number of International Joint Publications: 92

International Affiliation: Previously Fox Chase Cancer Center (FCCC),
Philadelphia, PA, US and University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee,
US

International Association Memberships:

*	American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM)
*	Scientists for Accurate Radiation Information (SARI)

 

International Research Projects and Grants

Year

Project Title

Funding

2018

Study of the Cognitive Effects of Long-term Exposure of Human Brain to
Alpha Particles Which Mimics Astronauts’ Exposure to High Energy,
High-Z Particles in Upcoming Mars Missions

Role: Principle Investigator 16,000 USD	 

 

 

Useful Links: 

Staff with Notable International Engagement
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18714/Staff-with-Notable-International-E
ngagement> 

SUMS Notable Alumni
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18486/Notable-Alumni> 

SUMS Visiting Professor Program
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18644/Visiting-Professor-Program>