Subject: Health-Care System at SUMS
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18752      Publish Date : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 Visit : 12386 

Health-Care System at SUMS 

Health-Care System at SUMS 

Health-Care System at SUMS

Health-care system in Iran is governed by Iran’s Ministry of Health,
Treatment, and Medical Education. The Ministry is responsible to
establish a national-level health policy and supervise its
implementation. It also regulates all medical services in Iran which
are offered based on three systems including the public-governmental
system, the private sector, and NGOs. Health care and public health
services are provided through a strong nationwide network offering
different levels of health care services, viz., primary health care,
secondary health care, and tertiary health care to fulfill the goal of
providing the Iranians with a comprehensive health-care system and
equitable health care services. The network is designed to ensure an
optimal health care delivery system for treatment of any kind of
illness or injury and is responsive to the needs of not only the
Iranian community but also the patients from across the world
especially those from Middle Eastern countries. In 2000, the Country
ranked 58 in health care and 93 in health-system performance. Iran's
primary health-care system has also been rated "excellent" by UNICEF.

The medical facilities that are ruled based on the public-governmental
system carry out their activities and offer services under the direct
management of medical universities. The public sector provides primary,
secondary, and tertiary health services with a principle focus on
primary health care. Public hospitals and clinics are financed by
government funding and all services offered by this sector are covered
by different health insurances available in Iran; thus, patients
receive medical services at the possible lowest prices.

In 1981, moreover, Iran established a unique primary health-care (PHC)
system which currently covers 98% of the rural population nationwide
and 93% of the urban population. To eliminate health disparities,
advance prevention, and strengthen primary care access, an extensive
healthcare network offers primary health care in rural and urban areas.
Rural healthcare networks include several “Health Houses” and a
district health center. Health houses are the periphery and basic units
of the Iranian PHC system and the first point of contact between the
primary health-care system and the community in rural areas. They are
managed by a health center, located in the regulatory district, which
is affiliated to the main medical university of each province. These
health houses provide preventive health care services such as
nutrition, family planning, blood pressure control, medical screening,
prenatal care, and immunization. They are also responsible for
monitoring environmental conditions such as water quality and
environmental pollution. A similar system is providing primary care in
urban and suburban areas by health posts and urban health centers of
the major cities, which often act as provincial capitals. In pursuit to
providing health care on an equitable basis and to ensure better
quality health services, the system also follows a well-planned
referral care mechanism where family physicians, covering a population
of approximately 2000 to 4000 persons in their catchment areas, provide
primary health care services and if required refer the patients to the
secondary and tertiary health care facilities.

Currently, Iran’s health network system, running by native manpower,
has spread to the remotest parts of the country and has been able to
bring about immense changes in promotion and maintenance of the
community‘s health. It is remarkable that the PHC system is entirely
funded by the national government of Iran. Hence, accessible health
services, public health coverage, comprehensive health service
packages, affordable health services, and appropriate spaces are among
the main goals of the PHC system. Considering the efficiency of Iran’s
PHC system, WHO experts consider it a good model for other countries to
follow.

In addition to the public-governmental facilities, private medical
facilities including for-profit hospitals and clinics, however,
supervised by medical universities, operate independently to deliver
effective and efficient care. The private sector in Iran mainly focuses
on secondary and tertiary health care in urban areas. According to the
statistics released in 2002, 7.4% of healthcare centers, 10.2% of
hospital beds, 37.8% of medical laboratories, 27.5% of rehabilitation
facilities, and 90.6% of drugstores were claimed to be included in this
sector.

Iran, moreover, has a strong network of healthcare charity foundations
and NGOs which work in close cooperation with the Ministry of Health,
Treatment, and Medical Education and other government agencies involved
in the health sector. Some hospitals such as Mahak are run by these
organizations. They also financially support low-income patients, build
medical facilities, and provide necessary medical equipment and
supplies mainly in specialty fields such as pediatric cancer, breast
cancer, diabetes, and thalassemia services and research.

Conforming to Iran’s healthcare system, Shiraz University of Medical
Sciences (SUMS), as the main university of Fars province*, is in charge
of medical education, healthcare provision in public facilities, and
supervising private healthcare providers throughout its appointed
regions in Fars province. It manages and supervises thirteen teaching
hospitals, thirty-two non-teaching hospitals, seven public clinics, two
health centers in Shiraz**, twenty-eight health networks***, fourteen
private hospitals, and three charity hospitals, according to the
discussed system.

* Fars province is located at the south west of Iran comprising
thirty-seven counties. The healthcare system at this province is
managed by five medical universities; that is, Shiraz University of
Medical Sciences, Jahrom University of Medical Sciences, Fasa
University of Medical Sciences, Larestan University of Medical
Sciences, and Gerash University of Medical Sciences. Each university is
in charge of the healthcare system at its appointed counties.

** These health centers are responsible to supervise rural and urban
comprehensive health services centers, health posts, and health houses
in Shiraz.

*** SUMS Health Networks are located in twenty-eight cities in Fars
province (each of these cities has one health network), and each
supervises hospitals, urban and rural comprehensive health services
centers, health posts, and health houses throughout the county where
they are located.

	
 	 
SUMS Teaching Hospitals

Row No.	 Hospital Name

Hospital Type

No. of Beds

Location

1	 Nemazee Hospital

General

914

Shiraz

2	 Shahid Faghihi Hospital

General

408

Shiraz

3	 Amir Hospital

Oncology

120

Shiraz

4	 Shahid Dastgheib Hospital

General

162

Shiraz

5	 Khalili Hospital

ENT and Ophthalmology

150

Shiraz

6	 Ali-Asghar Hospital

General

137

Shiraz

7	 Ibn-e-Sina Hospital

Psychiatric

120

Shiraz

8	 Hafez Hospital

*	Obstetrics and gynecology
*	Psychiatry
*	 Pediatrics
*	Rheumatology

166

Shiraz

9	 Emtiyaz Hospital and Shahid Rajaee Surgery Emergency Center

Trauma

297

Shiraz

10	 Shahid Chamran Hospital

Orthopedic and Neurology

300

Shiraz

11	 Al-Zahra and Shahid Hejazi Hospital

*	Pediatric
*	Heart and Vascular Diseases
*	Teachin

161

Shiraz

12	 Hazrate Zeinab Hospital

Obstetrics and gynecology

162

Shiraz

13	 Amir-al-Moemenin Hospital

Burn care and treatment

62

Shiraz

SUMS Non-Teaching Hospitals in Shiraz

Row No.

Hospital Name

Hospital Type

No. of Beds

Location

1	 Shooshtari Hospital

Maternity and Pediatrics	 90

Shiraz

2	 Ostad Moharary Neuropsychiatric Hospital	 Psychiatric

500

Shiraz

SUMS Non-Teaching Hospitals in Different Counties of Fars Province

Row No.

Hospital Name	 Hospital Type	 No. of Beds 	 Location	 
1	 Imam Hasan-e-Mojtaba Hospital	 General	 450	 Darab
2	 Imam Khomeini Hospital	 General	 300	 Abadeh	 
3	 Imam Khomeini Hospital	 General	 140	 Estahban
4	 Valiasr Hospital	 General	 196	 Eghlid	 
5	 Imam Hadi Hospital	 General	 90	 Farashband
6	 Bee´sat Hospital	 General	 N/A	 Ashkanan
7	 Imam Hossein Hospital	 General	 146	 Sepidan
8	 Javad-al-Ae´meh Hospital	 General	 70
Kherameh	 
9	 Fatemeh-al-Zahra Hospital	 General	 80	 Mohr
10	 Qa’em Hospital	 General	 282	 Firoozabad	 
11	 Valiasr Hospital	 General	 58	 Arsanjan
12	 Valiasr Hospital	 General	 350	 Kazeroon
13	 Imam Ali Hospital	 General	 N/A	 Kazeroon
14	 Valiasr Hospital	 General	 180	 Lamerd	 
15	 Valiasr Hospital	 General	 290	 Mamasani
16	 Shohada Hospital	 General	 68	 Sarvestan
17	 Shohada Hospital	 General	 200	 Neyriz	 
18	 Valiasr Hospital	 General	 N/A	 Sa´adatshahr
19	 Imam Mosa Kazem Hospital	 General	 100	 Zarin
Dasht	 
20	 Imam Mohammad Bagher Hospital	 General	 108	 Ghir
and Karzin	 
21	 Valiasr Hospital	 General	 80	 Bavanat
22	 Imam Hasan Askari Hospital	 General	 50
Zarghan	 
23	 Valiasr Hospital	 General	 80	 Khorambid
24	 Imam Sajjad Hospital	 General	 60	 Khesht and
Konar Takhteh	 
25	 Ghamar Bani Hashem Hospital	 General	 32	 Beyza
26	 Seyed-al-Shohada Hospital	 General	 32
Ghaderabad	 
27	 Kavar Hospital	 General	 N/A	 Kavar	 
28	 SHahid Reza Zadeh Hospital	 General	 N/A
Gha´emiyeh	 
29	 Shahid Motahari Hospital	 General	 560
Marvdasht	 
30	 Sedighi Hospital	 General	 N/A	 Galehdar
SUMS Public Clinics

Row No.	 Health Networks

Location

1	 Hakim Emado-din Shirazi Clinic

Shiraz

2	 Shahid Motahari Clinic

Shiraz

3	 Imam Reza Clinic

Shiraz

4	 Nader Kazemi Clinic

Shiraz

5	 SUMS Dental Care Clinic

Shiraz

6	 Poostchi Ophthalmology Clinic

Shiraz

7	 Parvin Dalaki Clinic	 Shiraz

SUMS Health Centers

Row No.	 Health Centers

Location

1

Valfajr Health Center

Shiraz

2

Enghelab Health Center

Shiraz

SUMS Health Networks

Row No.	 Health Networks

Location

1	 Abadeh Health Network

Abadeh

2	 Eqlid Health Network

Eqlid

3	 Kharameh Health Network

Kharameh

4	 Zarin Dasht Health Network

Zarrin Dasht

5	 Zarghan Health Network

Zarghan

6	 Firoozabad Health Network

Firoozabad

7	 Kamfirooz Health Network

Kamfirooz

8	 Mamasani Health Network

Mamasani

9	 Abadeh Tashk Health Network

Abadeh Tashk

10	 Bavanat Health Network

Bavanat

11	 Khorambid Health Network

Khorambid

12	 Sepidan Health Network

Sepidan

13	 QaderabadHealth Network

Qaderabad

14	 Kavar Health Network

Kavar

15	 Mohr Health Network

Mohr

16	 Arsanjan Health Network

Arsanjan

17	 Beyza Health Network

Beyza

18	 Darab Health Network

Darab

19	 Sarchehan Health Network

Sarchehan

20	 Qir and Karzin Health Network

Qir and Karzin

21	 Lamerd Health Network

Lamerd

22	 Neyriz Health Network

Neyriz

23	 Estahban Health Network

Estahban

24	 Pasargad Health Network

Pasargad

25	 Rostam Health Network

Rostam

26	 Sarvestan Health Network

Sarvestan

27	 Farashband Health Network

Farashband

28	 Kazeroon Health Network

Kazeroon

29	 Marvdasht Health Network

Marvdasht

SUMS-Affiliated Charity Hospitals

Row No.	 Hospital Name

Hospital Type

No. of Beds

Location

1	 Qadir Mother and Child Charity Hospital

Maternity and Pediatrics

96

Shiraz

2	 Kowsar Charity Hospital

General

263

Shiraz

3	 Bu-Ali Sina Charity Hospital

General

165

Shiraz

Shiraz Private Hospitals

Row No.	 Private Hospital

Hospital Type

No. of Beds

Location

1	 Ordibehesht Hospital

General

140

Shiraz

2	 Parto Neuropsychiatric Hospital

(Psychiatric)

32

Shiraz

3	 Besat Hospital

General

100

Shiraz

4	 Pars Hospital

General

45

Shiraz

5	 Dena Hospital

General

200

Shiraz

6	 Dr. Emami Hospital

General

32

Shiraz

7	 Dr. Khodadoust Eye Hospital

Eye

32

Shiraz

8	 Dr. Mir Hosseini Hospital

General

70

Shiraz

9	 Shafa Hospital

General

65

Shiraz

10	 Shahriar Hospital

General

60

Shiraz

11	 Alavi Hospital

General

32

Shiraz

12	 Farahmandfar Hospital

General

60

Shiraz

13	 Shiraz Central Hospital

General

96

Shiraz

14	 Dr. Mir Hospital

General

50

Shiraz

  _____  

Useful Links:

Nemazee Hospital (KA Namazi Hospital)
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18720/Nemazee-Hospital> 

Shahid Faghihi Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18710/Shahid-Faghihi-Hospital--AKA-Sa-ad
i-Hospital-> 

Amir Oncology Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18725/Amir-Oncology-Hospital> 

Shahid Chamran Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18728/Shahid-Chamran-Hospital> 

Emtiyaz Hospital and Shahid Rajaee Surgery Emergency Center
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18727/Emtiyaz-Hospital-and-Shahid-Rajaee
-Surgery-Emergency-Center> 

Khalili Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18735/Khalili-Hospital> 

Hazrate Ali-Asghar Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18736/Hazrate-Ali-Asghar-Hospital> 

Shahid Dasgheib Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18740/Shahid-Dasgheib-Hospital> 

Hazrate Zeinab Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18747/Hazrate-Zeinab-Hospital> 

Amir-Al-Moemenin Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18749/Amir-Al-Moemenin-Hospital> 

Hafez Hospital <http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18737/Hafez-Hospital> 

Al-Zahra and Shahid Hejazi Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18729/Al-Zahra-and-Shahid-Hejazi-Hospita
l> 

Shooshtari Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18741/Shooshtari-Hospital> 

Ibn-e-Sina Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18738/Ibn-e-Sina-Hospital> 

Ostad Moharary Neuropsychiatric Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18739/Ostad-Moharary-Neuropsychiatric-Ho
spital> 

Apply for SUMS Medical Elective (Internship) Program at Nemazee
Hospital
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18316/Visiting-Medical-Electives--Intern
ships-> 

A Tribute to Mohammad Nemazee: An Iconic Benefactor of Shiraz
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18455/A-Tribute-to-Mohammad-Nemazee> 

About Shiraz <http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18301/Discovering-Shiraz>