Subject: SUMS’ Transplant Center amongst the World’s Leaders
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18322-42      Publish Date : Monday, September 24, 2018 Visit :
4487 

NEWS | SUMS’ Transplant Center amongst the World’s Leaders 

SUMS’ Transplant Center amongst the World’s Leaders 
SUMS’ Transplant Center Amongst the World’s Leaders 

SUMS’ Transplant Center amongst the World’s Leaders

 

Transplant 

Dr. Salahi, Head of Abu Ali Sina Teaching Hospital- SUMS’ Transplant
Center is one of the largest and most important organ transplant
centers in the world. He states, the annual cumulative number of organ
transplant surgeries all around Europe and the USA is ca. 500 while
SUMS’ transplant team yearly performs more than 500 liver transplant
surgeries in its Transplant Center. Dr. Salahi maintains that SUMS’
organ transplant team has successfully operated 4577 liver, 239
pancreas, and 36 intestine transplant surgeries up to the present. He
remarks, successful kidney, pancreas, intestine, and liver transplant
operations have made SUMS’ Transplant Department an internationally
well-recognized organ transplant center.  As he notes, the history of
transplant surgeries performed by SUMS’ Transplant Hospital declares
that 99% of the transplanted organs are obtained from deceased donors
and less than 1% are from close living relatives. Moreover, considering
transplant rejection statistics, he adds, approximately 10% of
transplantations are rejected worldwide but the occurrence of such
issue in SUMS’ Center is less than 10%. He concludes, 84 kidney
transplantations have been carried out by SUMS’ transplant team from
late March 2018 to late July 2018; further, the kidney organs obtained
for these surgeries, as he mentions, were from deceased donors. To put
it in a nutshell, successful achievements by SUMS’ transplant experts
during the past half-century have boosted SUMS’ fame among
international proficients in organ transplant field.