Subject: Visiting Professor Program
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18644      Publish Date : Wednesday, January 22, 2020 Visit :
17592 

Visiting Professor Program 

Visiting Professor Program at Shiraz University of Medical Sciences 

Visiting Professor Program at Shiraz University of Medical Sciences

SUMS

Visiting Professor Program at SUMS

SUMS Inbound Visiting Professors

Adjunct Professor Program at SUMS

SUMS Outbound Adjunct Professors

Who is a visiting professor? 

A visiting professor is a recognized assistant/ associate/full
professor from another institution (usually in another country), who
engages in close collaboration with Shiraz University of Medical
Sciences (SUMS). Visiting Professors are normally invited to teach,
lecture or conduct research in the areas that are of valuable
importance to SUMS academic and research community.

Why visiting professors are appointed?

Visiting Professor Program is intended to promote knowledge exchange
and scientific cooperation in a diverse and vibrant environment. The
presence of world-class visiting professors and researchers would
contribute to the advancement of educational and research programs at
SUMS. To encourage this development, the University leaves it to the
visiting scholars to determine the frequency and duration of their
visits to SUMS. In addition, visiting professors are welcome to
collaborate virtually with SUMS schools and departments.

 

Roles and Responsibilities

 SUMS visiting professors engage in a diverse range of activities
including:

*	Presenting Lectures and holding training workshops at SUMS
*	Supervising or advising Master’s or PhD students on their
research projects
*	Undertaking advisory roles in the area of academic quality
assurance
*	Attending SUMS conferences and congresses
*	Creating virtual academic contents for students and academics
*	Identifying and collaborating with counterparts in various
schools and departments of SUMS
*	Presenting a report of each visit to the host institution's
Head of Department/Research Center
*	Building partnership between their home institution and SUMS

Funding & Support

Visiting Professorship is a non-salaried appointment, though the
following benefits will be considered by the Office of the
Vice-chancellor for Global Strategies and International Affairs (GSIA):

*	Living expenses will be covered
*	Airport transfer fees will be covered
*	University-owned accommodation will be provided during the
visits
*	The cost of a one-time round-trip flight will be reimbursed,
subject to the approval of the GSIA office and availability of budget
*	Fees will be allocated for teaching and delivering lectures,
subject to the approval of the GSIA office and availability of budget

Appointment Process

The appointment process is conditioned by an individual’s previous
academic collaborations with SUMS.

If academic connection has already been established with one of SUMS
faculty members, the relevant SUMS Head of Department/Research Center
will require to issue a formal request to the GSIA office for
consideration. GSIA will make a decision upon the recommendation of
department/research center in question, and inform both the
department/research center and the professor.

If a candidate has never had any academic collaborations or contact
person at SUMS, he/she can submit their request via the online
Cooperation Request Form
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/formadd/18641/Cooperation-Request-Form> . In
this arrangement, GSIA office will consult with the relevant
Department/Research Center, and inform all the interested parties of
its decision.

The tenure of a visiting professor will be issued for a period of three
years.

SUMS Inbound Visiting Professors 	 
Row No.	 Photo	 Name	 Home University Affiliation 	 SUMS Appointee
at	 Certificate	 Biography	 
1	 Dr. Fariba Ahmadizar	 Dr. Fariba Ahmadizar	 Erasmus
University Medical Center, the Netherlands 	 Health Policy Research
Center	 Dr. Fariba Ahmadizar	 more
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18711/Dr--Fariba-Ahmadizar> 	 
2	 	 Dr. Ryan Bradley 	 Helfgott Research Institute,
National University of Natural Medicine 	 Research Center for
Traditional Medicine and History of Medicine 	 	 more
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18780/Dr--Ryan-Bradley> 	 
3	 	 Prof. Dr. Prasun Chakrabarti 	 Techno Inda Njr
Institute of Technology, Rajasthan Technical University, India 	 School
of Advanced Medical Sciences and Technologies 	 	 more
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18790/Prof--Dr--Prasun-Chakrabarti>
4	 	 Dr. Masoomeh Eghtedari	 Ontario Tech University
Poostchi Ophthalmology Research Center, Department of Ophthalmology
more <https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18890/Dr--Masoomeh-Eghtedari>
5	 	 Dr. Friedrich Götz   	The University of Tübingen
School of Rehabilitation Sciences	 	 more
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18751/Dr--Friedrich-G-tz> 	 
6	 	 Dr. Kaveh Khoshnood	 Yale School of Public Health,
United States	 School of Medicine 	 	 more
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18801/Dr--Kaveh-Khoshnood> 	 
7	 	 Dr. Kamran Hessami	 Baylor College of Medicine,
United States	 Maternal-Fetal Medicine Research Center
more <http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18832/Dr--Kamran-Hessami> 	 
8	 Dr. Naweed Imam Syed	 Dr. Naweed Imam Syed

University of Calgary, Canada	 School of Advanced Medical Sciences
and Technologies, Department of Neuroscience

Dr. Naweed Imam Syed	 more
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18652/Dr---Naweed-Imam-Syed> 	 
9	 Dr. Nematollah Jaafari 	 Dr. Nematollah Jaafari
University of Poitiers, France	 School of Medicine, Department of
Psychiatry 

Dr. Nematollah Jaafari 	 more
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18608/Professor-Nematollah-Jaafari>
10	 Dr. Marek Jan Łos	 Dr. Marek Jan Łos	 Silesian
University of Technology, Poland 	 Autophagy Research Center
more <http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18825/Dr--Marek-Jan--os> 	 
11	 Mr. Lukas Karol Uliasz 	 Mr. Lukas Karol Uliasz
Prefect of Academy Apitheraphy Medical and Phytotherapy, Poland
Research Center for Traditional Medicine and History of Medicine
more <http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18791/Mr--Lukasz-Karol-Uliasz>
12	 Prof. Harold G. Koenig 	 Prof. Harold G. Koenig	 Duke
University, United States	 School of Medicine, Department of
Psychiatry

Prof. Harold G. Koenig 	 more
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18603/Prof--Harold-G--Koenig> 	 
13	 Dr. Vahid Mehrnoush 	 Dr. Vahid Mehrnoush 	University of
British Colombia, Canada	 Trauma Research Center 	Dr.
Vahid Mehrnoush 	 more
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18742/Dr--Vahid-Mehrnoush> 	 
14	 Prof. Ali Mirzazadeh	 Prof. Ali Mirzazadeh

University of California San Francisco, United States
Vice-Chancellery for Research, HIV/AIDS Research Center

Prof. Ali Mirzazadeh	 more
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18635/Dr--Ali-Mirzazadeh> 	 
15	 	 Dr. Naser Nadjmi	 University of Antwerp, Belgium
Office of Vice-Chancellor for Research, Orthodontics Research Center
more <http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18607/Dr--Nasser-Nadjmi> 	 
16	 	 Dr. Mohammad Mehdi Ommati 	Shanxi Agricultural
University, China 	Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Center
Dr. Mohammad Mehdi Ommati 	 more
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18744/Dr--Mohammad-Mehdi-Ommati>
17	 Dr. Mahmoudreza Pourkarim 	 Dr. Mahmoudreza Pourkarim
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium	 Vice-Chancellery for Research,
Health Policy Research Center	 Dr. Mahmoudreza Pourkarim 	 more
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18604/Dr--Mahmoudreza-Pourkarim>
18	 Dr. Mohammadreza Razeghinejad 	 Dr. Mohammadreza Razeghinejad
Jefferson University Hospital, United States	 School of Medicine,
Department of Ophthalmology

	 more
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18606/Dr--Mohammadreza-Razeghinejad>
19	 	 Dr. Omidreza Sedigh	 Humanitas Gradenigo Hospital,
Torino, Italy	 Department of Urology	 	 more
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18913/Dr--Omidreza-Sedigh> 	 
20	 PD Dr. Maziar Shafighi 	 PD Dr. Maziar Shafighi
Hirslanden Hospital, Switzerland	 School of Medicine, Department
of  Surgery

PD Dr. Maziar Shafighi 	 more
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18605/Dr--Maziar-Shafighi> 	 
21	 Dr. Alireza Abdollah Shamshirsaz 	 Dr. Alireza Abdollah
Shamshirsaz	 Texas Children’s Fetal Center, United States	 School
of Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology

Dr. Alireza Abdollah Shamshirsaz 	 more
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18600/Dr--Alireza-Abdollah-Shamshirsaz>
22	 Dr. Brian Sommerlad 	 Dr. Brian Sommerlad	 Great Ormond
Street Hospital, United Kingdom	 School of Medicine, Department of
Surgery 

Dr. Brian Sommerlad 	 more
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18602/Dr--Brian-Clive-Sommerlad>
23	 	 Dr. Amin Tamadon	 West Kazakhstan Marat Ospanov
Medical University	 Stem Cells Technology Research Center
more <https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18911/Dr--Amin-Tamadon> 	 

 

Adjunct Professor Program at SUMS

Who is an adjunct professor?

 An adjunct professor is a domestic or international scholar who:

*	has served as a SUMS visiting professor for a minimum period of
three (3) years
*	has actively contributed to SUMS education and research during
their visiting professorship
*	has obtained approval from the department/research center in
question, along with recommendation letters from two faculty members
*	has received an approval letter from the GSIA office

The recruitment of adjunct professors is also subject to the approval
of the Vice-chancellor for Human Resources. 

Roles and Responsibilities 

SUMS adjunct professors are assigned the following responsibilities:

*	Teach at undergraduate and graduate levels for a minimum period
of 9 months
*	Supervise and advise postgraduate students on their theses
*	Provide consultation to graduate students on their research
undertakings
*	Conduct research in the areas that are of value and importance
to SUMS community
*	Provide administrative consultation to SUMS officials
*	Engage in clinical teaching (e.g. surgical operations) for
medical residents
*	Offer co-supervision and advice to fellows, residents and
graduate students
*	Attend the regular meetings of departments/research centers,
and share views on issues of common concern 

Funding & Support

The GSIA office offers the following benefits and entitlements for
adjunct professors:

*	A SUMS adjunct professor receives the average salary of a
full-time professor at the University
*	Part-time adjunct professors will be paid on an hourly basis
*	University-owned accommodation will be provided during the
professors’ stay in Shiraz
*	The cost of a round-trip flight will be reimbursed, subject to
the approval of the GSIA office and availability of budget

SUMS Outbound Adjunct Professors

Row No.	 Photo	 Name	 School	 Department	 Rank	 Adjunct
Faculty at	 Documents	 Biography	 
1	 Dr. Aliakbar Asadipooya	 Dr. Aliakbar Asadipooya
School of Medicine 	 Neurology	 Associate Professor

Jefferson Comprehensive Epilepsy Center	 	 more
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18614/Dr--Aliakbar-Asadipooya> 	 
2	 Dr. Mohammad Nami	 Dr. Mohammad Nami

School of Advanced Medical Sciences and Technologies	  Neuroscience
Assistant Professor

Neuroscience Center, Institute for Scientific Research and Technology
Services,INDICASAT-AIP, University of Panama, Panama City, Republic of
Panama

	 more <http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18615/Dr--Mohammad-Nami>
_____  

Useful Links:

MOUs and Contracts
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18643/MOUs-and-Contracts> 

Collaboration with Non-resident Iranian Elites
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18647/Collaboration-with-Non-resident-Ir
anian-Elites> 

International Joint Workshops
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18649/International-Joint-Workshops> 

Staff with Notable International Engagement
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18714/Staff-with-Notable-International-E
ngagement> 

SUMS Notable Alumni
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18486/Notable-Alumni> 

Contact International Relations Team
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18646/Contact-International-Relations-Te
am> 

Cooperation Request Form
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/formadd/18641/Cooperation-Request-Form> 

SUMS Ranking Report
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18642/Ranking-Report> 

Health Tourism <http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18341/Health-Tourism>